What wire are you using for long component runs?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by TomBarnard, May 24, 2004.

1. TomBarnard

TomBarnard Extra

I am going to be installing a front PJ into the media room in my new house, doing all the work myself. I know that my room will require approximately 30 feet of HD component cabling between my receiver and my ceiling-mounted front PJ.

What are you guys using for runs like this? I've never skimped on interconnects before, but I reallllllly don't want to spend a fortune as i'm already looking at quite a big purchase between PJ, screen, etc. I'd love to keep the purchase under $100 if that is possible.

Thanks for any help.

Tom

2. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

I use silver serpent cable from bettercables.com for my component cable. It works great but will exceed your stated budget.

3. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

bluejeanscable

I'm using RGBhv, I think i got 30 feet for a tad over 100.

4. Jongyoon Lee

Jongyoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

You should get well terminated Canare cables. You can find many online retailers, and some even on eBay. You can choose solid core vs stranded core. Solid core has slightly higher bandwidth, but they are not as flexible, thus can limit installation possibilities. I have used bettercables before, and I wasn't impressed. You can get same quality Canare cables for a lot less.

5. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I got my 25 foot Canare cables with Canare interconnects from CableSolutions at Ebay. 2 years ago, I already ordered a 12 foot one. I contacted him and he agreed to a trade to a longer one albeit mine at 80% retail value. Good deal for me as I didn't need another set lying around.
    A $100 would fall short of the lenght u require though...but not by much. Here's a link
    http://stores.ebay.com/Cable-Solutio...playZ2QQ tZkm

6. TomBarnard

TomBarnard Extra

I tried to post a URL and because I haven't posted 15 times to HTF, it won't let me. Dag blastit. That's one of the dumbest things i've ever heard of. If there is any helpful person out there, please send me an email at [email protected] and i'll send you the link to the website where these are sold. The information on the product is below. My question is this...

Has anybody ever used or heard of these?

Component Video Cable (3 x RG59) Extended Distance

Ironman High-Definition RCA Component Video Cable

3ea. RG59 conductors with 95% copper braid
    Rubberized flexible jacket
    24K Gold-Plated Connectors Canare RCA Connectors
    75-Ohm impedance, extended 1GHz bandwidth
    Transfer signal from DVD Players and High-End TV's or monitors for optimum picture resolution
    Available in:

50' Component Video $74.75

75' Component Video $82.75

100' Component Video $92.75

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

And it was done for good reason to prevent spammers from posting links to their retail sites, thus getting free advertising without contribution to the members/community here or the HTF. This was becoming a real pain and hopefully this will prevent that!

8. TomBarnard

TomBarnard Extra

I understand the problem and appreciate your solution, but when my question that i'm posing to the greater forum community requires that I send them to a web address to check out a product, I'm basically out of luck and punished because i'm a newbie. And that defeats the entire purpose of even having the forum in the first place if I can't ask the questions that I need answered.

But I digress, this has little to do with getting me a good answer to my question. I'm gonna go around the system here. If anyone has the patience to hit this site for me and offer an opinion, thanks.

Go to showmecables.com

Click on the "Audio Video Products"

Click on "Component Audio Video"

Scroll down to the 254-550BK

Seems like a really good price and the way they describe it doesn't give me goosebumps of high quality, but seems like they have incorporated some of the right technologies.

Any thoughts.

9. James Tg

James Tg Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone has experience on Monster Cable Video 3 or Video 2? Thanks.

10. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Places like Cat Cables and BlueJeans cables will sell you a 30' Canare based cable for about $108 - not much above your limit. They will even put BNC jacks on one end and RCA plugs on the other if your projector wants this type of connector.

It does not say ANYTHING about be HDTV compatible and only mentions DVD players which are 480i or 480p devices. HD Video is usually considered 720p or 1080i which is much higher frequencies.

It does say "1 Ghz Bandwidth" which is .. suspicious. The good Canare or Belden cables have a 100-120 Mhz bandwidth using the formula of what frequency drops by 3db. But they claim Ghz bandwidth as well so perhaps there is a looser definition they are using.

Go with a Canare or Belden cable. They have been used by others with high-end 100" front projectors with great success. $108 is not too much over your budget.

11. TomBarnard

TomBarnard Extra

Bob,

Thanks a TON!!!! That is exactly what I needed to hear. It does seem too good to be true. I will investigate the Canare products and maybe have to save a few more pennies to go with what I have. I appreciate you taking the time.

Tom

12. DuaneD

DuaneD Auditioning

I'm in the same boat as you are but my only problem is I've not decided on projector yet.. Is there any advantage or disadvantage over component versus DVI? Or should I pull both?