What will this sound like?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Wes, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    On to another project but this time my truck Sub (although it's not subbing too low yet).

http://autographprod.8k.com/photo3.html
    Take a look at this graph, the light blue line is my current sealed 10"er in the .51 cf box. The dark blue line on the graph is the same box/speaker but a 2" port. What would it sound like compared to the sealed?
    The problem is I want the sub to reach lower and can't seem to get it to do it with a program with out increasing the size of the box or going an 8"er.

What would you do with out spending much money and this is the largest box I can fit.

Wes

2. Matt Dolejsi

Matt Dolejsi Agent

well what in essence you made with that enclosure tuned to 45 hz is a SPL ported box, Your sub will sound louder around that tuning frequency but as you see will roll off quickly after that. If you want low bass extenstion you'll have to port to say 25 or 20 hz. In addition if you port to 45 hz I would recommend buying a subsonic filter if your amp doesn't have one built in. ask if you have any more questions. (bottom line, you can get a little more extenstion by porting, but lets not kid ourselves this is a ten, you'll need something with more displacement to have real extension)

3. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    Thanks, Do you know any better speakers tha will go lower in a sealed .51 CF box? This speaker is a 10 year old EPI!

What do you think about putting an 8"er in this box?

Wes