What will next year's surround-sound receivers offer?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 11, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

What a difference a year makes in the world of surround-sound receivers. I bought my Sony STR-V444ES in September 2000. A key reason I bought it was that it offered analog bypass unlike the Sony 'DB930 I had from the year before. It seems like a lot of 1999 receivers lacked analog bypass, but 2000 saw many more receivers offering it with the more widespread marketing of DVD-Audio and SACD. For receivers released in 2000, it seems that only the upper echelon models had 24/192 DACs and only the Denon AVR-5800 had two sets of multi-channel inputs. Also, there weren't too many receivers that offered DTS-ES, DTS-NEO, true 6.1 (not virtual 6.1), 7.1, etc. Now, we are seeing a number of receivers at lower price points with 24/192 DACs, two sets of multi-channel inputs, discrete 6.1 processing, and even DPL II. Again, what a difference a year makes. This makes me wonder what the next year will hold for surround-sound receivers.
    Assuming that we are not going to see internal D/A conversion of DVD-Audio and SACD, what more do you think next year's receivers will offer over the current models (including the forthcoming Sony ES and Pioneer Elite units)? I ask because I am considering current options to replace my 'V444ES. I am happy with the 'V444ES, but it has just one set of multi-channel inputs, while the soon-to-be-released Sony STR-DA3ES and 'DA5ES will have two. The new ES models also offer a number of other features over my 'V444ES. Despite this, I wonder what might be gained by waiting another year for a new receiver. Thoughts? What do you see as missing on the current receivers (again, without considering internal D/A conversion of DVD-Audio and SACD)?
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime
    [Edited last by KeithH on November 11, 2001 at 05:50 PM]

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keith- The funny thing? Long, long time ago when Dolby Pro Logic receivers were quickly retooled to make them "Dolby Digital Ready," they had 5.1 analog inputs. Then the inputs went away, and now they are back.
    My bet for next year's surround receivers: THX Ultra2.
    ------------------

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Kevin, talking about how things have changed with receivers, my first receiver was a JVC RX-778V, which I bought in November 1999. Just two years ago, it was a current model (not a high-end one, of course), and it only had a Dolby Digital decoder. Not only did it lack a DTS decoder, but it had no 5.1-channel inputs. About three months later, when I learned about DTS and the fact that I could not use an external DTS decoder with the '778V, I sold it.
    As for THX Ultra2, I believe at least one of the forthcoming Pioneer Elite receivers (possibly the VSX-TX49 or whatever it will be called) will offer it. I seem to recall seeing an ad to this effect in a recent home-theater magazine.
    ------------------
    My:
    HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
    KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Duuuuude! I had a Yamaha RV-X793 (I think). Same-O: DD but no DTS, and no 5.1 inputs.
    I also had a 1st rev Sony DVD player: DVP-S3000 or somesuch, that didn't even *pass* DTS at the time!
    How times change...
    Home Theater eqp has become just like personal computer's: a race between the software folks and the hardware folks.
    But as long as the "new" formats keep coming, "fools" like us want to "upgrade" to have the latest and greatest...
    [​IMG]
    I like the idea of 24 bit/96 kHz DACs though. The pre/pro I have now only does 48 kHz internal processing. (Can't remember bit length off the top of my head...)
    ------------------

5. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

6. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

I would like to see some of the manufacturers do more with FireWire, like Mitsubishi is doing with their TVs.
    Eliminate some of the cord nests...that would be a good thing.
    Jeremy

7. Shade Watson

Shade Watson Stunt Coordinator

How about digital HDTV switching and Room EQ like the new Pioneer.

8. Brian_J

Brian_J Second Unit

I would be for anything that could get rid of all the ridiculous cord mess.
    Brian
    ------------------
    Zed's Dead Baby...

9. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    price drop in HDTV and more offerings of widescreen (and/or digital) TVs.
    2002 will be all about TVs and XM radio IMO.
    ------------------
    -Thomas
    My HT