What's new

What Will it Take to Unwrap a DVD? (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I've changed my mind about the wrapping - - a little.

I was totally against it for the on-line purchases, but I have come to realize that if they didn't have any at all, and through faulty manufacturing, the disk case and/or spindle broke in transit, that your DVD could be flopping around the carton that it came in! With a sticker holding the case together, just a broken spindle could cause scratches, but I'd hate to think what could happen if they actually fell out!

Can you picture a disk loose in the carton, getting turned sideways and then having a heavy carton dropping down on it.. and having the disk snap in two (or more) pieces!

But 3 stickers and the shrink wrap are a bit much. Ok, way too much! Maybe the stores should use the large plastic cases that they had for CD's once.

Glenn

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
The Warner-Hannna Barbera Spotlight Collections are the most ridiculous packaging I've ever come accross in consumer history... I ruined my Top Cat set today trying to put the digipack back into it's slip case; how foolish can you be to manufacture a product that doesn't even fit into it's case! Any dvd packaging that takes you more than 20 seconds to open/close is absolutely insane in my eyes. At the very least have the common sense to make the outer slipcase a few centimeters wider than the product that needs to fit inside it...

Dave Farley

Second Unit

I've run into a few like that. The Alpha doubles that come with the Star Trek Collector's Editions always have this.

Randy*S

Second Unit
Real Name
Randy
I also hate theft, but I do have a tough time with the labels.
But the main reason I hate the labels is because lately on several dvds I've bought I have had the damn security labels stick to a portion of the dvd cover insert and tear the bottom or top of the cover art up because they put the inserts in crooked!
It makes my dvd look like crap.

I know that we need these things but why do we need them on all three sides! :angry: Damn shoplifters!

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
-- Upon further review, it looks like my "DVD opener" was originally created for audio cassette tapes.

-- Talking about setting off alarms, I've sold ex-rental VHS tapes on eBay, packaged them, and taken them to the post office--only to learn when the alarms went off that I hadn't checked for hidden security devices. Some cassettes have them hidden inside the gate, directly facing the tape itself. Those are fun to remove with Goo-Gone! At least the DVD metal stickers are easier to locate and remove.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim

I suspect employee pilferage is a potential issue.

I'd echo all the sentiments expressed so far about what a PITA removing all the extra plastic is, and how annoying it is when the stickers or metal tags ruin the artwork or package proper, or when shrink wrap melts and sticks to the case etc etc.

As a sign of futility of the metal tags, I've sometimes carried DVDs bought online in my backpack and then walked into a B&M store, setting off the alarms, went about looking at and/or buying whatever it was I wanted, and when leaving, setting off the alarm again, yet no one bothered. Having said that, when it happened in Hong Kong, the sales assistants were always ready to "jump" me, and were puzzled when all they found in my bag was a box of DVDs (and not clothing or whatever else the shop sold).

And to be totally wicked, I've always thought of using the tags for a prank -- stick them on someone, or drop one just next to the detection barrier. But I've never actually done it...

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
I lived in England for a while and they have a pretty good system in Europe for all of this.

There is no shrink wrap whatsoever on the packaging for CD's, VHS tapes or DVD's. Instead, the disc inside (or tape) is in a locked cabinet behind the counter where you pay for your item. After the cash transaction is completed, the clerk opens the cabinet and finds the disc or tape and puts it into the case. They ask you to make sure that it is the right item and that the correct number of discs or tapes were presented to you.

It works really well and helps to prevent theft. The only down side is that the case will be there, but the disc was accidentally given out. This happened to me on a music CD. I took the jewel case to the counter and the CD itself was AWOL.

As a side note, I absolutely hate, hate, hate the shrink wrap system. It is a pain.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Greg, how do they prevent damage to the discs? What do they keep the discs in behind the counter?

Doug

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
The disks are filed in a drawer in a protective paper sleeve so no damage can be done to them. The system really works. I bought countless CD's and DVD's and I never had one problem with any of them. There were never any scratches or anything.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
I've shopped at many used-CD stores which use the system which Greg described, but I've never personally encountered such a system dealing with NEW merchandise. I'm not too sure how I'd feel about it...

I have, however, seen systems which keep empty display boxes on the shelves for browsing, and either the boxes (if there are more than one) or special tickets which are hung near the displays (to keep track of the available remaining inventory of each item) must be taken to a register where the real goods are kept under lock and key. It's a hassle, but it probably accomplishes its purpose.

Personally, though, I'd rather deal with the current security devices, even though they are a definite inconvenience and irritation, especially if I'm opening several new purchases at a time.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
Greg, how does this affect returns? In the States, if a DVD is opened you can only exchange it for the same title, not get cash (w/ receipt) or store credit to get something else.

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
You know, I never had to deal with a return, so I'm not sure.

Also, the whole process sounds worse than it really is. There isn't any locked room where the disks are kept. When you take, for instance, a DVD case to the front counter, the cashier immediately turns around and opens a big drawer and locates your DVD (or DVD's for a box set). They put the disk in the case and ask you to look it over to make sure you have received the correct item. This whole step takes maybe 30 seconds at the most. The drawer with the DVD is directly behind the counter. After you've looked it over, then they ring up your purchase, you pay for it, they put it in a bag and send you on your way. It's that simple.

When it comes to music CD's, they ask you if you would like to listen to the disk first to make sure you like the music before you buy it.

Now, at bigger entertainment stores like Tower Records, HMV, and Virgin Music in large cities like London and Birmingham, they don't go along with this system. The CD or DVD disk is in its proper case and locked in a plastic container for anti-theft purposes. You take the package to the counter, they use the magic key to take off the plastic container, and you get the merchandise. Once again, no shrink wrap is involved.

Like I said before, it's a great system. I like it. It's better than losing your fingernails over shrinkwrap.

Dean C

Second Unit
Real Name
Dean
in BC Canada, or buying from Amazon.ca, the series sets arent cellophane wrapped or shrinkwrapped.

StNG complete has a plastic case on it. same as King of Queens Seinfeld, and The Brady Bunch.

I just had to untuck the top flap and lift out the box sets.

for Everybody Loves Raymond and also Full Houses sets, they are wrapped.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
When you break off those locks they leave holes in the case which bugs can crawl in. DVD cases like Fox Film Noir has slits that let things in too. You may be clean and all but you never know when you have a lot some little bug may find you some day and decide your DVDs are its toilet.

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
I'd pay $1 extra - no make that $1.50 - for sticker-free DVDs. I absolutely hate those infernal tags. Even when you exercise the patience of a diamond cutter gently urging them off, you're left with gummy residue on the plastic. Maybe when online shopping eventually replaces the shoplifting centers we'll see an end to these annoyances. :frowning:

BernieV

Stunt Coordinator
Do you think that if I have "SECURITY DEVICE ENCLOSED" chiseled on my gravestone, it will deter grave robbers?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks