What will I need to record cable?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tom Garvey, Jan 16, 2002.

1. Tom Garvey

Tom Garvey Stunt Coordinator

Title pretty much says it all...

I'm guessing a TV tuner card? Is it a card, program..?

I have a Radeon VE video card.. will this work?

Give me the details... please!

2. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

One way that I can think of is a video capture card + recording sofware (the I/O Magic PC PVR should work and it is bundled w/ PowerVCR II; just picked this card up but haven't really used it yet). You would need a video-in on the Radeon card if you wanted to use it as a video capture device.

3. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

if you do a search here for the IO magic you should turn up some recent posts. it has a good clean svideo input and is only $20-$40...you could pursue using the tuner as well but using an svideo external tuner will give the best results, but you will have the option if you want to try it.
    that is the best card I can recommend because it is compatible with dscaler which ( www.dscaler.org ) which is the best way to view analog sources on a progressive or hidef display. you will probably see dscaler pop up with the io magic posts as well.
    you could also look into the creative digital vcr which will do background recording using only 5% of a fast CPU, and allow you to do anything on the CPU at the same time. But this card isn't compatible with dscaler if you are interested in viewing as well.
    so if you want to view live tv on your computer then you should get an io magic and use the dscaler software (free). you will also be able to record, but that will take alot of cpu time, and I don't believe you will be able to play games or watch anything which uses an overlay while this is happening.
    if you are just looking to record on the computer and then perhaps archive, AND you would like to be able to do things while you are recording, then I would suggest the creative digital vcr. more expensive though.
    I don't think you need to search anymore though as I just spilled most of the beans anyways... [​IMG]
    keep in mind that if the analog cable signal is poor then it will probably look worse on your computer (more detail). but results vary.

4. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

geesh, what a motormouth.

I forgot to mention that the IO Magic tuner only does mono sound. So it is truly the ideal card for an external svideo source, and that is about it.

the creative card also has a set back in that it always displays the compressed mpeg image. But if what you are looking for is background capable PVR then try the creative card for sure. it does almost all of the work instead of the computer's CPU.