What's new

What will be the ideal "SPEAKERS" hierarchy?? (1 Viewer)

fodeon

Auditioning
Real Name
Yitzhak Constantino
I recently got a INTEGRA DRX-5 and I've a pair of Yamaha's NS-777 and BW's 805 CDM1, YAMAHA HS50 which will be the ideal hierarchy (if such thing exist) between this arrangement for a simple surround sound, I've also two subs one is a BW ASW750 and SVS SB 2000. But my main interest is to know if for example the NS-777 will be better as the surround speakers and the nautilus as the front speakers etcetera.

Thanks in advance guys,

FC

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Here's your difficulty as I see it: you've got a mismatched center channel no matter what. But the good news is you've got a receiver with room equalization that can help correct for that.

The best thing, I think, assuming limited budget is to buy a third B&W 805 and use those three for your LCR speakers.

If you're stuck with the speakers you've got, I'd start with the Yamaha's as LCR hoping they're pretty well timbre matched and go from there.

But if the B&W speakers are a lot better than the Yamaha's then make the B&W the front LR with the single Yamaha as the center.

Through this I assume you've listened to your speakers and have personal preference to which sound better.

fodeon

Auditioning
Real Name
Yitzhak Constantino
Thanks Dave for your quick response, I've 6 speakers in total without the SUB's and I waiting for a BW Center Speaker, Now I have 2 Yamaha's HS50 (Studio Monitors self Amped) Connected to the PRE-OUT FRONT LR, 2 Yamaha's NS-777( Currently using those as my FRONT LR) Plus they're huge and the B&W CDM1 (Which I think are the Higher Fidelity on the Set) Connecting on the Surround (would they perform better if I added as LR FT Speakers Height Bi-Amp?? or Just Switch the FRONT LF NS-777 To SURROUND and get the BW's TO FRONT LR?

Thanks again,

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When do you think you'll get a third B&W speaker? If soon, set up the two and tell the AVR there's no center channel (phantom center) for now; then add in the center speaker and update the AVR settings.

If that matched center channel is only a future hope, I think you need to demo some combinations and decide what you like best. Listen to movies or TV you know well, listen to how the front stage transitions, how dialog sounds versus sound effects. And pick what you prefer. You should run the receiver's room calibration for every combo. This is kinda the frugality trade: time for money :)

I wouldn't setup Front Height speakers. My impression is that was just a blip of a format before Atmos and nothing really uses it.

Instead consider hanging the third pair of your speakers from your ceiling for 5.2.2 Atmos. That assumes you get a matched center speaker. If you can't do ceiling but have room for side surrounds, you can do 7.2 assuming the center speaker.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Depending on your finances I would go with the B&W's as you have a nice receiver and they will sound better than the Yamaha's! It is important to timber match and run the same speakers on all your channels and the sub is obviously the exception to the rule. My suggestion would be if you can afford a small amp to power your height speakers then run your receiver in 7.2.2. As long as this is not an apartment you can always go with a matching brand in wall speaker for your Atmos height speaker and you will not have any speakers hanging off your ceiling. You can also take a pair of book shelf speakers and flush mount them into your ceiling so all you will see is the speaker grill. But will all your speakers timber matched even though you have room correction and your Integra receiver you should be able to get some really good sound in your home theater.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks