What's new

What were you doing Sept 11th at the time of the attacks? (1 Viewer)

Sheldon

Stunt Coordinator
I was talking to a policeman at the time and it came over his walkie talkie about the attacks.I didn't believe it at first and neither did he.I was at work at the time and the two of us listened to the events on the radio after that.What were you doing?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Don't you mean September 11?

I was on my way to work, completely oblivious. When I got here, my Manager says to me "I think this is going to have serious repercussions." Thinking she meant something that happened in the office before I arrived, I asked what she meant.

As she started telling me, I kept thinking that maybe it was the sickest joke I've ever heard, it was just so unbelievable. I wish it had been.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Please change title to read: Sept. 11th.

Anyway, I was also at work and some lady I never have seen before came and told me. I first thought this will lead to nuclear war and World War 3. Then I was worried because my sister is a flight attendant. I was able to go home early and I listened to Howard Stern on my way home not believing what I was hearing. Then I got home and watched television all day and night.

Bizzare how you remember such things.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I was at work, and my boss got a phone call from her sister. She came in and told me a plane had hit the World Trade Center. We went into the conference room, and started watching the tv. I saw the second plane hit. We watched the tv the rest of the day.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I was on the freeway on my way to work. Got in the office and watched the TV for the rest of the day.
Peace Out~:D

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I was walking up the steps to the office... a co-worker told me 2 planes had hit the WTC, he's not the kind of guy to make things up but even so I didn't beleive him at first. AT first I thought it sounded like a plot from some Hollywood action movie and that the planes were light aricraft not jet liners. This was about10 or 15 min after the 2nd plane hit.

Somone had the CNN website on his computer with a picture of the 1st tower on fire and then I knew it was for real and it was more than a Cessna. I spent the rest of the day watching events unfold on TV at work.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I was at work and I heard it over the radio. I immediately logged onto CNN.com but that was pretty slow. Then, I took off to the nearest Future Shop to catch it over the TV and I got there just before the collapse of the second tower.

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I was at work. I had overheard something about a plane hitting the WTC (the first one) but didn't think much of it at the time--the thought of a Cessna smacking the building crossed my mind. I had just started listening to a CD and was about to work on a software problem when someone came up and asked me if I had a radio. I asked what was going on, as I unplugged my headphones and switched my Sony boombox from CD to FM. That's when I was told about the second plane hitting the second tower. At the time the FM stations hadn't interrupted programming yet, so I had to find an AM station, which would barely come in in the office building. A few minutes later they got a TV up and running in one of the conference rooms where I caught my first glimpse of what happened, and spent the rest of the day either watching on the TV or listening on my radio (I switched to FM once they cut in). Though I didn't see the plane hit (until it was replayed) I did see the towers come down. It's a day I will never forget.

As the day went on I checked in on HTF from time to time to get news and information posted by other members, at least until the thread overwhelmed the server and had to be deleted.

KJP

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I was still sleeping, and my wife came in and woke me up and said "An airplane crashed into the world trade center". I got up and we both watched the live newscast, speculating on what kind of plane it had been and how an accident like that might have occurred. I jokingly told her that it reminded me of the first episode of the "Lone Gunmen" Tv-series, with terrorists trying to crash a plane into the WTC. I also assured her that the buidling could withstand the crash of an airplane, because I had read that somewhere. At the time, the fire didn'e even seem so bad.

Then all of a sudden, as the live broadcast is on, we see a second plane crash into the second tower, and that's when I (and my wife too, I think) fully realized that this was no accident. Then they reported a third plane down in Pentagon... I get goosebumps just thinking about it.

But the worst moment for me personally was when I saw the first tower come crashing down. They didn't have the cameras on the towers at that moment, but were interviewing someone. They interrupted the interview and switched over to the cameras at the WTC, and all there was was a big cloud of smoke covering the southern part of Manhattan. There was no commentary at first, and I didn't realize what had happened... it took about 10 seconds before I realized that the tower had collapsed. I stood up watching this, and all I could say was "Oh my god, oh my god" over and over. I started shaking. A horrible moment.

/Mike

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I was in my college film class (During the brief time I went into college. Due to stress, I dropped out. Now I'm at home and unemployed. Will somebody hire me?)

Anyway, a teacher announced the sad news. It was unbelievable to me, at first. I then became scared. I transcribed the lyrics to "Saying Goodbye" from "The Muppets Take Manhattan" into my notebook when I should've been taking down film terms.

The rest of the day, I was crying, angry, depressed, and not really able to eat.

Well, either way...3 months goes past, and I'm still sad.

I can't do a wacky nickname in a thread like this.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff

Janna S

Second Unit
I was in the main ballroom at a hotel a little over a mile from the Pentagon, at a conference with hundreds of state and federal government employees (many from the NY and DC area).

They stopped the conference presentation and announced what had happened just a minute or two after the Pentagon was hit. We all split for our rooms, televisions in the lounge, etc, to watch and to try to make phone calls.

I was stuck in DC for six days after that, since practically speaking I had no way to get home to Alaska except by air. It was the longest six days of my life. Even though parts of Alaska were, and are, at risk, I wanted to be home.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I was also asleep (live in L.A.) and the alarm was going off to a local radio station that was nearly screaming that a plane had hit the first WTC. I groggily got up and tried to wake my girlfriend up, when the reporter said "a SECOND plane has crashed into the WTC." At first I thought it was a morning radio joke, but then I wondered who the hell would make such a sick joke?

I ran to the bathroom and put my contacts on, then ran downstairs and turned on CNN. To my horror, the radio broadcast was not a hoax...

Frederick

Second Unit
I have a terrible memory, but I'll always remember that day ...

I was on our shuttle bus, talking to one of my co-workers on our way to thr office. I got a page from my ex-girlfriend who lives in Ny. It said that an airplane had crashed into the WTC. I figured that it was a pilot of a small plane that got lost in the clouds or something. Tragic, yes, but I had no clue of the true devastation. Shortly after we arrived, I got another page, stating that a second plane crashed into the other tower. At that point, I was in a full panic. I told her to drop everything and get back to the Bronx. She said that they were going to stay put for a while because they were far enough away not to be affected. I can remember the last time I was up there for a visit. Her mom and I were debating on going to the top of the towers, but it was so cloudy and rainy we decided to pass. She took pictures of them, though. I hope she still has them...

Anyway, by the time I got into my office, it was dead quiet. My floor has about 150-200 people on it, and all you could hear were radios, tv's and tears. Everyone was in complete shock. Our Disaster Recovery team was in full alert, mainly because we have an office not a block away from where the Towers were. We had moved out of them not too long ago. They evacuated our offices near the Sears Tower immediately. I didn't stay at work very long, either. None of us did. It's not like we could do any work anyway. Since I work right outside of the Loop, and they entire downtown area was evacuating, I went back home, and watched. That's all I could do. Not talk. Not think. Just watch ...

Freddy C.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I was walking from Western European Literature class when someone walking by told me that a plane had just hit the world trade center, the first thing I thought, a Cessna pilot lost control and accidentally hit it, no big deal, the tower is built to withstand that. I walk into Calculus class to see about 15 people with my teacher gathered around the TV... I turn to look and I see the second plane hit the second tower, I realize that this isn't an accident... we watch during calculus, I see the first tower collapse, we hear about a third plane going into the pentagon and a feeling comes over me like the world is about to freakin' end right there. I went to composition 4 class and saw the second tower collapse... then for the rest of the day watched the events unfold...
...a day that I will never forget (ever, ever). :frowning:

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I was sleeping in that morning (had a late class), and my radio alarm went off to the Mark & Brian morning show here in L.A. Usually I wake up in the morning to funny skits and laughter, that morning the first thing I remember hearing as I was still half asleep was Mark saying, "Just to repeat....all air traffic across the country has been stopped. All Airports are closed. If you are flying out anywhere today, it ain't going to happen."

I thought it was a dream, I jumped out of bed and turned on FOX News to find out what had caused this "Ground Stop" and saw the replay of the images (The Pantagon plane had just hit). I was in total shock and spent tyhe rest of the day feeling both very angry and pissed off and scared.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks