What's new

What were or still are, your favorite arcade games ? (1 Viewer)

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Another Tempest fan here (I own one w/ the original ROM that allowed you to uncover stuff based on your score), plus many of the popular old-school Williams games (Defender, Stargate, Robotron--all of which I've mastered, the latter of which I own an original of, along with my Tempest). Loved Star Wars too...

DeanC

Stunt Coordinator
OOOOh at a friends place, watching him play OMEGA Race was so nerve wrecking.

Then playing some Berserk on his Tandy computer. Wow I remembered Omega Race in the arcades too.

Anyone remember JungleHunt, Kangaroo, Moon Patrol, or Popeye? Not to mention a Burger time Arcade game?
Kangaroo man what a Donkey Kong ripoff. Imagine, boxing an enemy and hopping slowmotion?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I played Discs of Tron a lot back in the day-loved the enclosed cabinet. It's just not the same on MAME though...

I also played the hell out of Area 51 in University. Got to the point where I could finish the game on 2 credits.

There are a bunch of other games that I remember playing a lot in the early/mid 80s, but I can't remember the names. I've looked through my MAME rom list though, and haven't been able to find them. Perhaps they were just never emulated? I can't think that there's much that hasn't been yet...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Then there's always GORF !:)

Atari (Nolan Bushnell) put out a maze game aimed at "adults" with pseudo-breasts for controls....I'm not kidding...Gotcha

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Sunset Riders, and no, I'm not as new to gaming as that makes me sound. I was playing from the '70s on, but that one just grabbed me. I love the music and the boss one-liners. And, it's basically Contra in the west, which is not a bad thing. I always, always play as Cormano. When he ends up changing hats, it's just another little element that hooks me into the story and makes it a keeper. Man, I love that music.

I also loved Shinobi, and again, the music was a big part of that. But, the game is just fun, and ninjas weren't as prevalent in gaming as they would become.

Other addictions: Cliff Hanger ate a lot of my quarters, and I always had a thing for Paperboy, Marble Madness, and Mortal Kombat II.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
This thread got me thinking about building an arcade cabinet again-anyone here actually put one together? I started a controller at one point, but put it off when I moved last year. What'd be really great is to be able to get something that works with light guns-I'd love to be able to build something that can play games like Area 51, House of the Dead, Time Crisis, and Point Blank well. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a decent light gun solution out there now...

Don_Limey

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah that is my all time fav game. I used to play that all the time at the local 7-11 back in the day. I was called the "Shinobi Kid" from all the kids there. I remember all the time I would play the kids there would crowd around & watch me play & 2 times I mastered that game. I beat the game without dying & got perfects on all bonus stages & the all time high score on that machine twice.

My other fav games are

Paperboy
Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat 1-3
Terminator 2: Judgement Day
The Simpsons
TMNT 1 & 2
Ninja Warriors
Ikari Warriors 1-3
Killer Instinct
Tekken 1-3 & Tekken Tag
NBA Jam
Crime City
Operation Wolf 1 & 2
Chase H.Q.
and many others which is a long list

James T

Screenwriter

How could I forget that game!?! It used to piss me off when I made it to the last stage, then got John Connor killed! After it happened the first time, I was like WTF? And never touched it for months. Then I tried it again and game over at the same stage.

I played the Game Gear version, and that's the only time I finished it. I guess I just found it a bit easier than the arcade gun.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Anyone old enough to remember Crazy Climber?

This should jog the memory....."Go For It! ...OH NOOOO!" Ah yes, a game telling the tale of an adrenaline junky climbing a highrise....and getting shat upon by condors....*sigh*....memorieeees.;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg

My neighbor had a copy, but I never did. I do have a few of those so-called "extremely rare" Xonox games, but it doesn't look like they're going for much more than a few bucks on eBay. A Crazy Climber is up right now for a Buy It Now of $115, though.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Wholy shit... This shows how old I am.... LOl... :D

The original Pacman. That Baseball game with the stick that you held back and released??? Mortal Kombat 2... Baraka Wins... Fatality....

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Here's an oddity that some may recall, SEGA's Holographic game Time Traveler!

I remember being fascinated by this because "The laserdisc game is rather unique in that it uses a parabolic mirror to project its images, thus creating a hologram-like effect for its gameplay." and honestly the 3D effect really did work fairly well.....the game play....now that sucked! Lousy timing abounds in this game as I recall and getting far on $1.50 (which I believe was the cost for this game at the time...pretty freakin expensive) was practically impossible.
Still the game was and is utterly unique, and your death scenes were always funny.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I remember that time traveller game, but have never seen the other one.

BTW-Apparently there was a MAME supported light gun, but it isn't available anymore. Hopefully something better comes out at some point, since an arcade cabinet that I can use for Area 51, Point Blank, and Time Crisis would be great!

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Well it was utterly first......and I also have never heard of that other game (which was apparently a conversion kit for the original SEGA Time Traveler game....cheap Neo-Geoish bastards).

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Some key 80s games not showing up here. Among them...

Gauntlet - Warrior needs food badly
720 - SKATE OR DIE!
Paperboy - (clonk as bicycle hits a mailbox)
Dragon's Lair - doh!

I'm convinced one of Homer Simpson's ancestors was Dirk Daring.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks