What's new

What we all knew already: Opie and Anthony ratings UP!!!! (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't want to copy the entire Reuters article, so here are
some excerpts. I'll post a link to the entire article below...

"Opie & Anthony" early ratings show audience gains
Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:26pm ET7

By Sue Zeidler

NEW YORK, June 22 (Reuters) - Radio hosts "Opie & Anthony" seem to be faring better than rocker David Lee Roth as a replacement for shock jock Howard Stern, according to preliminary data released by CBS Corp. (CBSa.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Thursday.

Stern's former New York CBS Radio station, 92.3 FM, saw its share of 18-to-34-year-old listeners triple to 4.2 percent in May from the tepid 1.4 percent pulled by Roth in April.

In Boston, CBS' share of 18-to-34-year-old listeners jumped from 2.3 percent in April to 6.7 percent in May, and in Philadelphia, the share of that age group jumped from 2.4 percent to 7.7 percent, according to additional early ratings extrapolated by CBS from Arbitron Corp. (ARB.N: Quote, Profile, Research) data.

Click Here For Full story

dailW

Stunt Coordinator
from the time they were let go after the st. pats stunt , they would of loved to have gone back to regular radio. no one would touch them. xm picked them up and they have had a great run with xm. with DLR tanking the way he did this is a great for them.and they will say goodbye to XM and do a 4 hour radio program with 15 - 20 minute commercial breaks.that is the reason why they do those yearly contracts when their contract is up they will move on.they should of told cbs no thank you.i dont understand this whole thinking that if they are on reg.radio they can reach more people. they are on sat.it can reach far more people i know its a subscription. but i live on the west coast and cant listen to them if i wanted to.i can go out buy a receiver and a 13$ sub.and listen from portland to new york without changing the channel. thats what i love about sat. radio.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
They have just signed a two year extension with XM, signed just as the CBS deal happened.

They are on XM for at least 4 more years.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Their contract with XM, if FMQB is right, is just like a sports type contract: it's a series of year-to-years. Example: Warren Sapp signs a 3 year deal with Oakland, but at the end of each year, the team has an option to "cut" him and pay a penalty.

The same is true here with the deal for O&A, except kind of reverse.. they have a four year deal with a yearly option. Which means that CBS can buy out their contract should they wish in year-to-year contract established minimums.

Now, whether or not CBS would do that is another story. But if CBS decides to really spread their wings with this program - and good ratings can help induce that - then them gaining exclusivity to product may be worthwhile to them. And CBS, despite it's terrible losses in the radio segment, etc. in the last quarter can easily outmoney XM or simply buy out the contract to grab them.

Would such a thing happen? Who knows. But don't dismiss it as an impossibility. And in a sense, forget what O&A or any talent says about these things.. the right amount of money and a deal will lure anyone anywhere. Besides which, a full-time bit on CBS would most assuredly provide them better guests then the way they have apparently been ranting about the quality of their guests provided by XM.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Wait, I'm confused. I thought I just saw(about a month ago) O&A on Foxnews(hannity & Combes) talking about how they were fired from XM and are back on regular radio(Howard's old spot)

I've been out of XM for a few months and am getting back into it next week.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Fired? No.

Back on regular radio (Howard's old spot)? Yes.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. Advertisers received the quarterly arbitron books today. This is what they base advertising on. This is the NYC book.

O&A are on WFNY.

Mornings 12+ Demo:

MORNING:
WSKQ (7.0),
WINS (6.4),
WLTW (5.0),
WHTZ (4.8),
WBLS (4.3),
WCBS-AM (4.0),
WRKS (3.8),
WWPR (3.7),
WPAT-FM & WQHT (3.6),
WABC (3.3),
WAXQ (3.1),
WPLJ (3.0),
WFAN (2.9),
WKTU (2.2),
WOR (2.1),
WQCD (2.0),
WFNY (1.9),
WQXR (1.7),
WCAA (1.6),
WNEW (1.5),
WADO & WCBS-FM (1.4).

This nets them the #17 Net Market Share and #18 Radio Share in the market. This is down from WFNY being the #1 share within the market space in this demo at this time last year. The end cost in advertising revenue for WFNY is several million.

18-34 Demo

18-34:
WQHT (9.2),
WWPR (8.5),
WSKQ & WHTZ (7.9),
WCAA (5.9),
WBLS (5.4),
WLTW (4.8),
WPAT-AM (4.7),
WKTU (4.6),
WRKS (3.3),
WAXQ (2.7),
WFNY (2.6),
WPLJ (2.5).

So, #12 in the market space in the valuable 18-24. Just a note, that is a SMALLER number then DLR received at a 2.7 share, but basically stagnant.

They did not make the Arbitron top 10 market shares in the 25-54 demographic.

This, however, is just the beginning for their program, and really, their first "almost" full book (about 2 weeks shy of a full quarter).

This is not as negative as it can be projected, and I'm sure as SIRI and Howard fans will project it. However, it also doesn't match the expectations of CBS Radio, who had hoped for a top 10 in the 25-54 demo. No one had expectations of a Top-5 or #1 program, but to be outside of the top-15 markets in NYC with such a major advertising push is also a significant dissappointment to CBS. This effectively lowers the value of their advertising rate for WFNY, as consecutive quarters become a buyers expectation for media spots. As a result, falling outside of the top 10 in the 25-54 is a major revenue loss for CBS.

What CBS has found, however, is Steve Harvey.. who's morning African American centered program has rocketted in the ratings from 1.7% share last year to a 4.3% share this year. So, there is good news out there for CBS afterall.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Ryan,

Here is a shorter more precise audio clip at the confrontation....

Click Here

Very funny stuff! Worth a listen!

Billy Fogerty

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,I'm sorry but O&A just sound like losers. They try way to hard to do what Howard has already done. Nobody has anything new compared to Howard. Ask the people who listen to Howard on Sirius. O&A will always be second rate. :thumbsdown: If you are on satellite, why would you want to be on Radio?? Defeats the whole purpose. XM people are getting ripped off.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hoo Boy. Somebody else with an agenda here. :rolleyes

Thanks for the opinion. It has been noted.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins

According to Alan Sniffen's NY Radio Message Board, O&A were #2 in Men 25-54 for the months of May & June and #2 in Men 18-49, second only to Spanish WSKQ when you leave out the 9-10 hour.

O & A numbers

Will Cunningham

Stunt Coordinator
I think the O&A show has definitely improved after moving to CBS and XM. One major thing it has done is force the guys to get to the point quicker. When it was just XM they would go off on a subject for an hour and a half straight, then move on. Now they pretty much go in 20 min spurts due to the commercials. Occasionally it wrecks the flow of the show, but more often than not it just make them do a tighter show.

I was VERY sceptical, I loved the XM-only show and was worried it would get hosed by being on regular radio as well. I do get annoyed by the commercials, but in the end I think it was a very positive move for the quality of the show. The guests are better, the show is better in general. The only thing I really don't like is that we have not seen much of Patrice O'Neil since the move. I miss having him do the show.

O&A frequently refer to the show as a lifestyle, I have to agree. I find myself caught up in the soap opera of thier lives, I want the show to do well in the ratings even though it really doesn't affect me personally. I have a wierd culty uber-fan kind of reaction to the show, I am totally aware of it which makes it even more creepy.

I deal with the commercial issue by recording my XM feed and listening on my ipod about 3 hours delayed so I can fast forward over the commercials. That makes the show much smoother and makes my work-day much more enjoyable.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Which is exactly how they frequently have described their show. That's also the reason that I've lost much interest in Howard over the last few years since his life is now all about being in the Hamptons, dining at Nobu, whichever celebrity he his hanging out with and how he thinks he could have "Had Her" and him and everyone else on his payroll talking about how hot Beth is. O&A at this point are still "regular guys" and at least to me, it makes their show more appealing.

Note to Howard Fans who might be listening: I still like him, what has been mentioned above are simply my own personal citicizisms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks