What's new

What WB Shows on WB Archives? (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverking

Good list Richard, I think we might see Kildare & maybe Sunset Strip at some stage but I have severe doubts about any of the others.
I would particularly like to see 'Roaring 20's' & 'The Alaskans' as so few decent copies seem to be around. (Plus I rather liked Dorothy Provine ! )

Good catch on Roaring 20's and The Alaskans, Chris. I'd be interested to see what WBA could do with these as well.

Gary "I think you are right about the odds of most being released, unfortunately - I have my doubts as well" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I feel lucky that Warner released the Top 3 titles I wanted to see from the program right away in "The FBI", "Girl From UNCLE" and now "Tarzan." Anything else from this day forward is mere icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
Hawaiian Eye Bourbon St. Beat 77 Sunset Strip Sugarfoot The Alaskans Surfside 6 Bronco Colt .45 Dr. Kildare The Dakotas (The best WB western ever) Cain's Hundred The Thin Man The Lieutenant Mr. Novak The Roaring 20's
On their facebook page at one time or another they have mentioned 77 Sunset Strip, Sugarfoot, Bronco as well as The Gallant Men all being worked on so I expect we will see several or all of these 4 titles before the end of the year. I would also think it safe to assume the other westerns Colt .45, The Dakotas and Lawman will all eventually be released and probably Dr. Kildare as well. The others on the list probably not too likely but maybe a few years out when many other shows are completed. They have been releasing one vintage show a month since last November so I think their comittment to Classic TV is now in place. 5 classic tv titles in 5 months.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick

They have been releasing one vintage show a month since last November so I think their comittment to Classic TV is now in place. 5 classic tv titles in 5 months.

What "vintage" show did the WB Archive program release in December? I'm not a big cheerleader for them so I'm probably missing something obvious. I'm assuming you are thinking Daktari (Nov), Cheyenne S3 (Jan), FBI S2 (Feb) and now Tarzan (Mar). I just can't figure out the December one. Overall, they have done better with their release schedule, but that's not saying much when you look back over the entire lifespan of the program. Until recently, they hadn't exactly been lighting the world on fire with multiple vintage releases. And while I'm not from Missouri, I think I'll have to adopt their motto when it comes to believing we will see all the shows you mentioned by the end of the year: S-H-O-W M-E. Talking about it on Facebook isn't enough to get me excited. Shout, on the other hand, has actually shown me what they were willing to release on the classic TV front. Heck, as one of my good friends just said to me a few minutes ago over the phone, "Once Shout released the complete Leave it to Beaver everything else was just going to be icing on the cake."

None of that is to say that WBA hasn't stepped up their vintage releases lately. They have. And I'm very happy for fans of the series they have released. No raining on their parades from me. But I'm just not ready to lead the Archive parade and do flips yet either, what with their pricing structure and all.

Gary "I hope we do get Kildare and many of the others mentioned in this thread recently, but I'm clearly not as hopeful as some" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Gary I have to respectfully disagree again if it comes to a matter of trust between Warner and Shout. Shout screwed every fan of "Ironside" and revealed for me at least, that they can never be relied on to finish what they start. I appreciate what they still put out, but it never comes with any automatic belief they'll stay committed to it. Warner however, with this model I think will finish what they start. Also, the acceleration of the Archive program has also led to an acceleration of other titles released at retail like Logan's Run, Eight Is Enough and now Maverick which they should be commended for. Overall, Warner I think did a fine job easing their way into the TV release program last year and this year they're demostrating that they are committed to releasing what they have promised. A few months ago, we had people doubting their promise on Tarzan, and now here it is. I've seen no instances of them reneging on something they said they would do, but these are projects that can take time to sift through and its obvious that they are not going to allow compromised music edited releases to take place unlike CBS/Paramount. If delays are needed to guarantee all things are crossed on that front, then I can certainly afford to wait a little longer.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
     Quote: What "vintage" show did the WB Archive program release in December?  I'm not a big cheerleader for them so I'm probably missing something obvious.  I'm assuming you are thinking Daktari (Nov), Cheyenne S3 (Jan), FBI S2 (Feb) and now Tarzan (Mar).  I just can't figure out the December one.  Overall, they have done better with their release schedule, but that's not saying much when you look back over the entire lifespan of the program.  Until recently, they hadn't exactly been lighting the world on fire with multiple vintage releases.  And while I'm not from Missouri, I think I'll have to adopt their motto when it comes to believing we will see all the shows you mentioned by the end of the year: S-H-O-W  M-E.  Talking about it on Facebook isn't enough to get me excited.  Shout, on the other hand, has actually shown me what they were willing to release on the classic TV front.  Heck, as one of my good friends just said to me a few minutes ago over the phone, "Once Shout released the complete Leave it to Beaver everything else was just going to be icing on the cake." None of that is to say that WBA hasn't stepped up their vintage releases lately.  They have.  And I'm very happy for fans of the series they have released.  No raining on their parades from me.  But I'm just not ready to lead the Archive parade and do flips yet either, what with their pricing structure and all. Gary "I hope we do get Kildare and many of the others mentioned in this thread recently, but I'm clearly not as hopeful as some" O.
You're right Gary December they did not. It is a slow month for the archive generally and they didn't release one then I was thinking "Courtship of Eddie's Father" was November but that was actually September which followed Medical Center in July and the Girl from Uncle in August so my main point is that they have steadily been increasing their out put since early last year. The only reason they were not releasing much TV product in 2009 and 2010 is they were waiting for Dual Layer DVD-r to be available for them. I still wish I could find Paramounts split seasons as low priced as you seem to because for me they are nearly identical to Warner Archive. $39.99 each. I can get 10 %, free shipping and a coupon code anytime for WA and frequently get a 20% off sale and a coupon code to equal what I see Paramount titles going for online. I can get Paramount titles a little cheaper than normal discounts if I want to wait and wait for a big sale or amazon 3rd party seller to have one at a good price but that is painfully slow and frustrating especially when your watching a series in order and you need the next season. And at least the transfer and print quality is up to the price with the WA releases. With Paramount many are excellent: Gunsmoke, Untouchables, Lucy Show, Mannix while others like Have Gun Will Travel, Rawhide and My Three Sons are way overpriced for the poor quality prints used with no restoration. Nothing against the shows which definately deserve better releases. I think WA and Paramount split seasons are both equally a bit too high priced and can't defend one over the other.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Randy Korstick said:
On their facebook page at one time or another they have mentioned 77 Sunset Strip, Sugarfoot, Bronco as well as The Gallant Men all being worked on so I expect we will see several or all of these 4 titles before the end of the year. I would also think it safe to assume the other westerns Colt .45, The Dakotas and Lawman will all eventually be released and probably Dr. Kildare as well. The others on the list probably not too likely but maybe a few years out when many other shows are completed. They have been releasing one vintage show a month since last November so I think their comittment to Classic TV is now in place. 5 classic tv titles in 5 months.
They've mentioned a lot of things on their facebook page but they are slow to release shows. And with many multiple-season shows, like The FBI and Medical Center, it could take many years for them to get the full runs out. I just think that 95% of their focus is on movies, 4% on kids cartoons and 1% on vintage television. Now if they were doing 5 TV titles a month, that would be a lot more to get excited about than 1 a month (barely).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Neil Brock said:
They've mentioned a lot of things on their facebook page but they are slow to release shows. And with many multiple-season shows, like The FBI and Medical Center, it could take many years for them to get the full runs out. I just think that 95% of their focus is on movies, 4% on kids cartoons and 1% on vintage television. Now if they were doing 5 TV titles a month, that would be a lot more to get excited about than 1 a month (barely).
I agree the output has been slow but they have only been around for 3 threes as the 1st MOD service. How many TV titles were released on DVD in its 1st 3 years from 1997 to 2000 not many more than the archive has released if that many. As I mentioned now that they have Dual Layered DVD-r's they have sped up releases. I expect this year to continue with one title a month. Next year it could go up to two titles a month and then more after that. Since Mod and Download is the future they plan to have everything available in this format eventually. Its just a matter of in what order things come out and how fast both being someone dictated by sales. What sells the best comes out 1st and so on..

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack P

Gary I have to respectfully disagree again if it comes to a matter of trust between Warner and Shout. Shout screwed every fan of "Ironside" and revealed for me at least, that they can never be relied on to finish what they start. I appreciate what they still put out, but it never comes with any automatic belief they'll stay committed to it. Warner however, with this model I think will finish what they start. Also, the acceleration of the Archive program has also led to an acceleration of other titles released at retail like Logan's Run, Eight Is Enough and now Maverick which they should be commended for.
Overall, Warner I think did a fine job easing their way into the TV release program last year and this year they're demostrating that they are committed to releasing what they have promised. A few months ago, we had people doubting their promise on Tarzan, and now here it is. I've seen no instances of them reneging on something they said they would do, but these are projects that can take time to sift through and its obvious that they are not going to allow compromised music edited releases to take place unlike CBS/Paramount. If delays are needed to guarantee all things are crossed on that front, then I can certainly afford to wait a little longer.

We've had this discussion several times before, Jack. I won't belabor the point but to say that neither you nor I know one way or the other whether or not Warners and their Archive program can be "trusted", to use your word. The program hasn't been around nearly long enough to know if it will finish the TV series it begins. Certainly the studio itself is no better or worse than others with that issue when it comes to their pressed dvd program. They've abandoned series like everyone else has. No studio has a spotless record there. And until the Archive program finishes out a longer running show like The F.B.I. or Cheyenne we won't know if they are any better than the others.

Gary "just my two cents" O.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy Korstick

I still wish I could find Paramounts split seasons as low priced as you seem to because for me they are nearly identical to Warner Archive. $39.99 each. I can get 10 %, free shipping and a coupon code anytime for WA and frequently get a 20% off sale and a coupon code to equal what I see Paramount titles going for online.

We both seem to see this one differently. Using Amazon or B&N, I can almost always get any pressed dvd set at 50% off retail price fairly soon after release. It's really not hard at all, imho. But I've yet to see all the different discounts and such that you are referencing with the Archive program. Yes, I can find a $5 off coupon, and free shipping, at WB Shop. But I'm also saddled with paying tax every time. And except for an occasional mistake in pricing on their site (I jumped on the Joe McDoakes set when it was accidentally priced at $19.95 early), I can't see any way that a person can get an Archive set for anything close to 50% off their starting price point. As best I can tell, it's not even a close comparison when we are talking about the potential to get a big discount on a retail, pressed disc release vs a MOD, WBA release.

The one plus I'll give the program is that they do seem to be trying to give us solid A/V quality. I'm pleased to read and see that the upcoming Tarzan release has been remastered. The trailer looks incredible, so I will give Warners a thumbs up on that count.

Originally Posted by Neil Brock [url=/t/295064/what-wb-shows-on-wb-archives/30#post_3905093]

I agree 100% with this completely, Neil.

Gary "the WBA program is nice, but it's not the savior of vintage TV by a long shot in my book" O.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
One of the easiests ways to compare pricing between MOD and commercial pressed disks is to just look at WB itself. WBA Cheyenne (only 20 episodes a season): - 2nd season first released by WB at $40 each volume or $80 a season. When found on sale later can be had for $40 a season - 3rd season, WB at $50 a season FBI (32 episodes a season) - 1st season, standard WB price $40 a volume or $80 a season, Amazon $37 to $50 a volume - 2nd season similar Tarzan - 1st season, standard WB price $40 a volume or $80 a season, Amazon $37 to $50 a volume WB Pressed Maverick (27 episodes) - 1st season list $40 a season, standard Amazon discount $29 a season So during initial release Cheyenne, FBI, and Tarzan are $50 to $80 a season, while with the typical Amazon discount Maverick is $30 a season. There is no need to even bring CBS/Paramount up in the discussion when WB makes it clear in their own pricing strategy of similar type content. The content on the WB MOD program is just more expensive for the consumer. I'm not suggesting it go away, but there is just no arguing that there isn't a cost difference, because there clearly is. I'm very happy they released season 1 of "Courtship of Eddie's Father" and as happy "Tarzan" will be coming out. But there just isn't much wiggle room for me in their pricing. It has to be a title I really, really want to own for me to go the WBA route. And as for quality, WBA states very clearly the content is not remastered or restored. Now they typically have better sources then what a 3rd party can scrape up, but they can't compare to the CBS/Paramount titles that have been remastered for HD like Perry Mason, Gunsmoke, etc. As far as titles like Rawhide and Have Gun Will Travel, those are based on the same approach as WBA (not remastered or restored). So far WBA has chosen titles with decent video quality. But say down the road they decide to releases some titles where the masters aren't quite as nice, then you will see similar quality as compared to CBS titles that aren't cleaned up. Stating that WBA won't leave us hanging with stalled titles is premature to say since I don't think they've completed any series yet except for maybe a one season show. Now the MOD approach is less risky, which is a positive indicator for the possible completion of a series, but prior sales are probably still in the equation as with any pressed release by any studio. The dual-layer disk issues early on is about the only justification i can see for such a slow start. So if the recent increase is due to that being figured out then that is a good sign for more future release. I look forward to seeing more titles come out and at a quicker pace. Having seen one Kildare episode and being a fan of Raymond Massey, that may be one title I might swing as a blind buy. Edit: After reading Gary's thread about Tarzan being remastered, I'm glad to see improvements in that direction and hope it continues with other future releases.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Excellent post, Brad. I think you nailed all the important points!

Gary "I'm also much more reluctant to buy WBA titles because of the higher price tags" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Gary, Brad and Neil sum it up for me. As Gary's mentioned, we've all seen this debate time & again. There are 2 distinct "camps" and we'll most likely not sway either camper, be it WBA proponent, or those of us like Gary and myself who have been collecting TV/DVD's for years and know that the regular pricepoints for WBA TV/DVD sets (not movie $5/50 deals) are rarely competitive with the majority of TV/DVD sets from the pressed-release outlets. I read each WBA auto-email that I receive and look for sales on TV/DVD sets. Not much there. We've read it all, from attempts at persuasive comparisons, where a WBA proponent will play the usual CBS/P split-season card vs attemps to convince us that those prices compare to best-case WBA "a coupon is available/free shipping" debate points. Fact is, I don't pay more than $30 per CBS/P vol set for any show. I wait for those vol prices to drop below $30 which they will do in time. WBA TV/DVD sets, well, there are occasional deals but I don't believe in paying any studio upwards of $80 for a season of a show. Those that do, and believe WBA is the savior of classic TV/DVD releases..... cool for you guys. I disagree but then again, WBA hasn't released one of my holy grail's which we all know is one reason that WBA's getting support here on this forum, which is understandable. However, the few WBA proponent posters that regularly appear to repeat these pov's shouldn't have difficulty accepting the fact that we all don't agree with them, as we all haven't had the pleasure of reading announcements that our all-time holy grail shows are being released by WBA. Regarding the repeated "WBA vs Shout!" debate, well, I'll post a different pov once again about that one. Shout's certainly released much more of my favorite shows than WBA has, including forthcoming WBA releases. After several of my top shows have been released by Shout, and that includes Adam-12, where I never will agree that there was a "disappointing timeline" of releases for that one compared to many other examples, anything else is also "icing on my cake" as well. I don't collect Ironside so, naturally, I won't hop on the "anti-Shout" wagon because of that show's stalled status. As Gary mentioned, when WBA's completed some of their starter shows, I'll give them points for that. WBA TV/DVD hasn't released any of my top 15 shows to date. I'm still waiting. However, there is one point that I believe the WBA guys have nailed 100%: Without the MOD programs, most of these releases, including the movie side of things, wouldn't have left the vaults. On that one I agree completely and it is getting some of these shows available for collectors since we seem to have passed the golden years of continous pressed TV/DVD releases, save Timeless, Shout and perhaps a couple more outlets.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If I were going by numbers of titles that are more my favorites, then even I'll be the first to admit Shout has released more of that, but then again they're dealing with the libraries of multiple studios so that's a caveat I'd put in there when doing a direct comparison with Warner Archive. If I use the model of Warner Archive though versus what an individual studio has done and recall MGM's DVD-R program that gave us a grand total of two titles "Highway Patrol S1" and "Flipper" S2, and then compare the pricing between those two programs, Warner still wins. And Brad, I certainly won't dispute the exceptional quality of CBS/Paramount HD remastering. But CBS/Paramount is also the most unreliable of studios when it comes to audio content and I don't simply mean "The Fugitive" as we all know. What they did to "The Odd Couple" was criminal on all levels in which we had important program content sliced and diced making more than a third of the episodes from the final three seasons absolutely unwatchable. If Warner is going to guarantee original audio and no editing on *any* of their releases, as appears to be the case so far, then that will count for a lot.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Jack P said:
And Brad, I certainly won't dispute the exceptional quality of CBS/Paramount HD remastering. But CBS/Paramount is also the most unreliable of studios when it comes to audio content and I don't simply mean "The Fugitive" as we all know. What they did to "The Odd Couple" was criminal on all levels in which we had important program content sliced and diced making more than a third of the episodes from the final three seasons absolutely unwatchable. If Warner is going to guarantee original audio and no editing on *any* of their releases, as appears to be the case so far, then that will count for a lot.
I agree, original music and complete episode are a strong selling point for any release. Luckily for me, I'm not the best at hearing music substitutions as many fans here are. I can't comment on the majority of the one's that caused the most issues on the forum because i haven't experienced most of the big offenders. But I've seen a handful of "My Three Sons" and had no problem enjoying the episodes. BTW, the picture quality is excellent. Unfortunately, we do know that CBS has a tendency to be conservative in this respect. The odd thing about music substitutions seems to be the variability in releases. Some our obvious and some very surprising, at least based on my limited knowledge. Of the titles released by WBA so far, they wouldn't seem like one's that would have issues regarding music, so I wouldn't have expected concerns in that department. To what degree WB went to ensure no music substitutions in comparison to how CBS would have approached an equally weighted title would be hard for most to comment. If anyone has that kind of insight it would be interesting to hear more details. Or if someone knows potential WB titles that would be at risk based on known music included that would be interesting to know as well. What we do know for sure is that CBS has dropped the ball on occasion, while so far it appears WB has not. Here's hoping WB can keep that streak going, as well as the idea of remastering more of their titles (the Tarzan's do look nice from the sampling they have provided). As I said before, I'm all for the WBA program continuing. I'm sure I will be interested in a few of the titles if they keep digging into their vaults.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
By the way, to throw another possible curve into the mix, I'm hearing rumors that CBS is considering possibly getting into the BOD game with some of their stalled and unreleased shows. May be the only way that we get some of those under performing titles finished, if it comes about.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Whoa, that's quite a left field surprise there. Lots of great titles we'd see then if that happens, like The Magician with Bill Bixby I'd imagine, it's one I'd snap up in a second. And possibly the remaining seasons of Barnaby Jones, Streets of San Francisco, Cannon, The Untouchables and Have Gun Will Travel this way. Well, only to name but a few popular titles unless these are still in the pressed game which I hope of course now they've finally started with subtitles again at CBS and the superior picture quality. I do wonder if pressed releases eventually become recent hit shows only, and the classics - apart from a select few standard titles - will be the burn way. I also wonder if that would even make sense, since many younger people have switched to Blu-ray so what's left for DVD but the classics, limited release numbers if need be. I'm not quite sure if I should be optimistic or pessimistic on behalf of the above mentioned shows, and which alley of release Paramount would have in mind, it only seems certain we'll have to follow suit whatever they do.

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Tim Gregerson said:
I would like it if they would release harry o
I very much would sincerly like that too, I'd love it even better to be pressed DVDs rather than questionable overpriced DVD-Rs. I don't think everything classic necessarily needs to be WAC, even remastered stuff (as this is likely to be now) doesn't always look too hot so that's not a dealbreaker for me. An idea that's already been suggested to them, is they do the two pilots for the archive program and go with pressed for the Janssen show itself. I think had he lived today, Mr. Kimble himself would be getting the same attention Jimmy Garner's been getting lately. And for the things Rick mentions above, I agree there's way too little concentration on live-action TV right now, what's with all these cartoons. I know they're a cartoon studio too and maybe those are easier to clear, but they're a famous TV studio just as much if not more. I did get their Medical Center and The FBI and will continue buying those, but unlike what some say, I'd say sales - in practise anyway - should matter just about zero now for any archive program's made for order.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
HenryDuBrow said:
And for the things Rick mentions above, I agree there's way too little concentration on live-action TV right now, what's with all these cartoons. I know they're a cartoon studio too and maybe those are easier to clear, but they're a famous TV studio just as much if not more. I did get their Medical Center and The FBI and will continue buying those, but unlike what some say, I'd say sales - in practise anyway - should matter just about zero now for any archive program's made for order.
I agree. I mean, I buy all of the cartoons from my youth, like Dick Tracy, Courageous Cat, Tennessee Tuxedo, etc., but I don't actually sit down and watch hours of them. I like to have them there to maybe show guests who might come over but as a grown man I'm not sitting down and watching hour of cartoons any more than I can sit down and watch any of the sitcoms I loved when I was in elementary school. Bring on the adult shows!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks