What's new

What was your very first DVD? (2 Viewers)

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
We got a computer at home back in '98 or so, and it had one of them new-fangled DVD ROM drives. I'd been a LaserDisc collector for about 8 years at that point with a collection of hundreds of titles, and I swore I wasn't going to jump onto the DVD bandwagon right away.

Curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to buy a DVD title that I didn't have in LaserDisc, and in the future would try to avoid any duplication. LaserDisc was already a perfect format, right? :)

The first title I bought, actually wouldn't play - it was a Carpenters music/documentary that had been on PBS, titled CLOSE TO YOU: REMEMBERING THE CARPENTERS. It turned out that it was a region 0 disc that the player wouldn't play until a region code was set - something I needed a region 1 disc for.

So, I went out and bought SOMEWHERE IN TIME, the original Universal widescreen DVD. It was a movie that we'd always enjoyed, but didn't have on LaserDisc - I don't think it ever appeared in widescreen on LaserDisc, come to think of it.

Hundreds of titles later, here I am, breaking the vows to not duplicate, but instead, racing full bore to do just that - replace all the LaserDiscs!:D

Ironically, and without forethought, I nearly did the same thing when CDs came out back in the '80s. First of all, vowing to not duplicate that which I had in LPs. And second of all, the choice of my first two CDs: a Carpenters greatest hits CD called SINGLES, and, you guessed it, the soundtrack to SOMEWHERE IN TIME.

Harry

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
My first DVD was back in November 1999. It was "Chinatown", which I got free from a special offer when I got my first computer from Dell. It was from a website which I can't remember the name of; not sure if it exists anymore.

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I bought my player in October of 2000. My first film was The Matrix, followed up a few minutes later by Three Kings. Ironically enough, my 200th film was The Matrix Reloaded.

After that, it's a blur of films, but I do remember Spaceballs being my 3rd and Fight Club and Se7en were shortly after that.

I bought my first DVD back in 1997...the morning they were first available for purchase! :D The disc was "Unforgiven." Took it to work and told everyone they were looking at the future.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
My first DVD was Saving Private Ryan when it came out. I remember seeing it at Meijer and paying $29.99 for it. Well worth it, although I do wish I would have looked around and paid less for it. Since my roomate had a DVD player, I didn't purchase mine until April 2000. Now I own two players and 305 DVD's. The weird thing is, my roomate is using one of my players and my roomate's girlfriend is using the other.

In my apartment, between the 4 of us, we have 2 stand alone players, 2 PS2's, and a X-Box, with two more X-boxes and 1 more PS2 on the way.

Albert Noel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Noel
my first purchace was somewhere back in late '98
i picked up lost in space and ghost in the shell.

i didn't get my first player untill about a month later

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Armageddon Criterion for $34.99 at walmart in the fall of 1999. It's crazy because I got carded! I guess since the critereon re-work was unrated my the mpaa. Either way, i'd been 17 for about a month so i lucked out. Watched this movie several times on my computer and 17" monitor. Wasn't until a year and a half later I got my first DVD player (PS2 at project graduation) and another 6 months later when I got my first HT setup (used Sony ES pro-logic receiver and bose acoustimass system... bought it for $200 and sold it for $800 on ebay a month later!!!). Since I got that first HT my DVD collection has gone from 4 to 315 in a little over 2 years, growing by over 100 this past summer. Right now i'm trimming a few impulse buys here and there and only buying new-releases that I know are keepers (still ends up being 1-2 a week lol). It's kinda tough when I'm in college with no demonstable form of income. I guess I'd feel like the $4k I have invested in my current HT setup was a waste without plent of material to watch on it! With me, HT fueled my DVD collection, not the other way around.

Shaun

Second Unit
My first 2 DVDs were bought together back in early '98. Apollo 13: Collector's Edition and Conspiracy Theory. The first thing I said to myself was "Damn! This is going to be an expensive hobby!"

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The Right Stuff in February 1998, the same day I bought my first player, a Yamaha DVD1000. I had to wait five days for the disc (and six others) to actually arrive from the US, though.

Adm

Chris Purvis

Stunt Coordinator

That was my first one too, and I won't ever get rid of it even though I have the extreme edition now as well. Why? The "audio commentary for the visually impaired" track.

"...the Terminator walks into a bar. He is naked."

fantastic.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
Disney's Tarzan CE was my first. In 2000. I got my player a while (few weeks) later - a Pioneer LD/DVD DVL-919. I was really looking for a new LD player at the time and I payed a good $1000 for it, which didn't seem quite unreasonable since the LD player I was considering didn't cost much less.

A bit later I had a friend of mine (now also fellow HTF'er) order the following four for me:

Make Mine Music
Melody Time
The Big Sleep
The Third Man (Criterion)

JasonMA

Stunt Coordinator
My first DVD was given to me as a christmas present on christmas eve 1999. It was The Matrix.

The first one I actually purchased myself though was Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I bought my first DVD at the same time as my player. It was Wallace & Gromit: The First Three Adventures, and I was completely bowled over by the picture quality, since you could actually see the fingerprints in the clay. Nearly 4 years later, I am a full bore DVD addict, although being a student keeps the habit in check.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The first time I saw a DVD playing anywhere it was on a PC monitor in downtown Toronto. The movie? Lifeforce . I had seen it years ago as a kid. I bought it in 2000 and only watched it 3 months ago. Apart from the obvious entertainment, the movie was expectedly baaad. I mean, really really bad. But, hey, I knew that. Amussing and especially annoying as non-anamorphic.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks