What's new

What was your very first DVD? (1 Viewer)

ChrisV

Second Unit
Pink Floyd: The Wall
It was one of my favorite VHS tapes, so I didn't hesitate to buy the DVD.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My first DVD purchase was bought on the same day I bought my first DVD player. The Image release of Fahrenheit 451.

WarrenL

Stunt Coordinator
Blade- I bought it months before I had my setup complete. I enjoyed that movie so much at the theaters,it became an inspiration to complete my HT.

Kirby

Auditioning
August 2000. The day I bought my first DVD player I picked up "Smokey and the Bandit" and "The Searchers"

Devin_C

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron Garman -

Mine was the plain vanilla version of TND that had an orangish cover (prior to the special grey/silver edition). I bought it from a department store (zellers) a month or so before my first DVD player (a toshiba i can't even recall the model of) to motivate me to invest in a player. I ended up giving it to my dad when I bought the box sets. :)

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
My first purchased DVD was an older movie called "Ticket to Heaven" about a religious cult. When I purchased my first Panasonic DVD player in 1997, I got 5 DVDs with it. Among these were:

US Marhsalls
Lost in Space
Erasure

I don't recall the other two.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I got my first DVD player sometime in the fall of 2000, and the first disc I got was The Third Man, Criterion.

Larry Geller

Supporting Actor
1997---President Clinton's grand jury testimony ("I did not have sex with that woman"). Got it for $0.01 from Amazon.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
My first DVD was The Matrix, in November 1999. Of course, it was not until two weeks later I bought my first DVD player.

It's a long story. ;)

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Bought my first dvd player for my birthday in October of '99.

First discs were:
The Cowboys
Jerry Seinfeld, I'm Telling You For the Last Time
Star Trek TOS Volume 2

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
First DVD I got was Fight club SE. It was given to me on my birthday about 2 weeks after the initial release, and stayed unwatched for 3 months until I bought my HTF in a box (a little panasonic 5 speaker system with "Super Woofers in the sides of the front speakers instead of a sub, it's still the only player I own, and I have never had a problem with it!), as I had no player.

The night I got a player, the first DVD's I bought were Wizard Of Oz and Clerks. My wife bought Hurricane, and has yet to watch it since purchasing it! We now own 300 dvds, and my wife just finished buying 10 discs this past week, including 3 TV season boxsets!

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
JonZ writes:
I think your memory may be playing you a trick here. Paramount didn't even announce support for open DVD until April 27, 1998, so I suspect Generations wasn't really on your list.

My own start was 12 February 1998:
  • Blade Runner
  • A Hard Day's Night
  • Reservoir Dogs
  • Little Shop of Horrors

Scotty_McW

Second Unit
My first dvd was Patriot Games in December of 1998. I bought it a day before I got my first player. It has recently been replaced by the collector's edition, but I still have it in a drawer someplace. I remember reading the back and seeing the special feature of the original trailer and thinking "Whoa...That's cool! I can see the preview for the movie!":)

RomanSohor

Second Unit
I got a player and 2 DVD's for Christmas in '99.

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
Pinocchio: Limited Issue

2 Classics of animation :)

Then I ordered the rest of the Disney LI titles (Mulan, Hercules, 101 Dalmations, Lady and the Tramp, Jungle Book - didn't do Lion King II - yuck) and WWF WrestleMania XV.
From DVD Express.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks