What's new

What was your most disappointing music purchase...Ever or just lately ? (1 Viewer)

MikeAW

Second Unit
We've all purchased real "bombs"...most likely it was because we had so high expectations for it.

What was yours...lately or EVER ?!!

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ozzy's new album :thumbsdown:
I've acquired a whole lot of modern "prog-metal" that was too silly and derivative. I sold most of it away, and am now burned out with the "prog" scene.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Well, this may be better off in the prog thread, but...
After getting into Dreamtheater, I discovered the whole modern prog scene. There was some interesting stuff on the record label Magna Carta, and I bought up a whole bunch.
Basically, most of the bands are derivative or just sound way to silly. In the process, I've also found a lot of great stuff, though. Like any genre, I am only interested in the cream of the crop, because my CD collection is out of control, and I don't have the time or patience for mediocre or poor material.
All of the musicians in these bands are, of course, fantastic. But I stopped being impressed with that a long time ago. I need solid, interesting songwriting to keep me interested.
Here are some bands I found:
Magellan: Like most modern prog, their music sounds like a bunch of fancy musicy thingies strewn together, not songs. Plus, the singer's voice is obnoxious. The lyrics are history lessons, and the novelty wears off quickly.
Enchant: These guys actually aren't bad, but they just didn't capture my attention. They're not as absurd as some other bands, but they're not all that interesting, IMO.
Symphony X: I know there are some X fans here, but I'm sorry, these guys are way too much for my blood. They sound like renegades from Yngwie Malmsteen's back-up band on crack. Too silly for me.
Shadow Gallery: Extremely derivative, but I like them anyway for some reason. They're entertaining.
Edenbridge is another band that sounds silly and derivative but who I like anyway. There's something irresistable about a Swedish chick wailing away in classic 80s power metal style.
Of course, I've found scores of bands that I love and who have original, wonderful sounds: Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Anekdoten, and Opeth, for example.
I also love the CDs where people from various bands come together to jam and play new music: Liquid Tension Experiment, Black Light Syndrome, Transatlantic, Attention Defecit, and Gordian Knot.
But, I ended up having to sell away a lot of music in the process.

JoshK

Agent
My most dissapointing recent music purchases:

XTC - Skylarking

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn (and I like PF)

Syd Barret -

chris c

Stunt Coordinator
JoshK, I felt the same way about Skylarking when I first got it a few years ago. It is now a favorite. Give it some time, it might grow on you.

KrisM

Second Unit
I was really disappointed with The Black Crowes' Lions. I've loved everything this band put out before, but not this one. I've got about 3 cds full of b-sides that would have made a better album.

I wasn't too impressed with the last Big Sugar disc either.

As far as older disappointments, I don't care for much of Metallica's post-Cliff Burton material. I know alot of people like their newer stuff, but I don't. It is just not to my liking.

Regards

KrisM

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I'd have to go with Van Halen's ill-fated "Van Halen 3" album. Just plain terrible.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Prince's Rainbow Children. Just when I thought he couldn't get any worse, he creates the crummiest album of his career. I used to be an absolute Prince fanatic, but he's burned almost all available bridges; from a long series of dull live shows to a string of bad albums, I'm almost ready to give up on the guy...

MikeAW

Second Unit
I lost track of Prince after "Rainbow Bridge". As a live artist, he is phenomenal, but lately in the studio, especially during and after the Slave Thing, he's become to self-absorbed and a parody, and definitely has run out of steam.

When he began to dot.com it, he really didn't have to conform to any Studio/Company discipline, which for him, he probably needed. Too bad, when you think how he started.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I lost track of Prince after "Rainbow Bridge". As a live artist, he is phenomenal, but lately in the studio, especially during and after the Slave Thing, he's become to self-absorbed and a parody, and definitely has run out of steam.
That'd be Graffiti Bridge. He did put out some fine material after that point (1990). Diamonds and Pearls and 0+> both had excellent moments, as did 1995's Gold Experience; Dolphin stands with the best music he ever made. Even the self-indulgent Emancipation still provided a decent piece of work, and some of his material from the last few years has been good; most of it hasn't, but bits and pieces worked.

But Rainbow Children? Bleecch!

And as a live artist, he WAS phenomenal; unfortunately, he IS phenomenal no more. 1988's "Lovesexy" was the greatest show I ever saw, while 1993's tour was still quite good. Since then (1997 to date)? Bland to blander...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Side by Side - Itzhak Perlman and Oscar Peterson (with Herb Ellis, Ray Brown & Grady Tate)
Perlman = genius
Peterson = genius
Perlman + Peterson = disaster
Tracks include: Misty, Stormy Weather, Georgia On My Mind, Mack The Knife, Dark Eyes, Blue Skies, On The Trail (from grofe's Grand Canyon Suite), etc.
I thought it would be a very interesting combination of genres and abilities. It is, instead, a poorly conceived and executed meeting of disparate styles. Just awful!
I posted in another thread that I keep this title in my collection only to help me really appreciate how much I enjoy all the other CDs I own! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks