What's new

What was your first TV Show Box Set? (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
An Idea struck while reading another thread. What was the first TV Show Box Set you acquired, and when did you get it? Was it a single series, or was it the entire Series My first set was the Gerry Anderson "Supermarionation" series Thunderbirds in December of 2002. It was the entire series, and it set me back over $100.00 Things went slowly at first, I had less than a dozen Box Sets and about 40 Movies in my collection until October of 2006, when I REALLY began collecting them!

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
I remember when Rhino was Rhino, before it became Shout Factory, and first gave us those two complete season boxes of The Monkees--Each made to look like a 1967 portable 45rpm player, and each of the disks cased in mini-duplications of the Monkees' original hit-single sleeves.
31P736YQTAL.jpg

That, friends, was a "record collection". :D

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
First television on DVD, regardless of episode count was the original release of Star Trek: TOS with two episodes per disc, starting in late 1999.

First complete season sets on DVD was The X-Files starting in mid 2000.

First complete series might have been Firefly in 2004.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
The first TV DVD that I bought was probably The Treasures Of The Twilight Zone and the More Treasures Of The Twilight Zone best-of discs. The first set that I bought was The X-Files: Season One. The first Blu-ray TV set that I bought was Lost: Season Three.

As a side note, I know The X-Files was the first season set on DVD and I'm pretty sure that the third season of Lost was the first Blu-ray TV release (they went back to the first two seasons a few years later).

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
First set was Mary Tyler Moore Season 1.Have been hooked on Tv on Dvd since.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
My first Blu-Ray set was Star Trek - TOS - All three seasons (It was actually CHEAPER then the DVDs!).

Real Name
Joe
My very first TV purchase was Season One of Here Comes the Brides. I believe the first big box set I purchased was the complete series of Everybody Loves Raymond, the one in the house shaped box with the window shutters that fall off the first time you pick the box up. As for continuous season sets, well technically I guess it would be Grey's Anatomy. I purchased the first season DVD when it was available and have bought every season since. This year was Season Nine, and since Season Ten just started, it looks as if what has become an annual tradition will continue. It would be foolish to stop now at this stage of the game.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Mine were the A&E sets of the Avengers with Diana Rigg back in the late 90's. I don't think I bought another TV series until mid-2000's. Then it was all over because I couldn't stop after that.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
First TV on DVD - Doctor Who (original release day 9/11, arrived a day early, otherwise would have been months late)First set - Soap season 1 - 2003First Blu set - complete Lost

sidburyjr

Second Unit
Real Name
Dick Sidbury
My TV collection is approaching 2000 disks(!) of which 250 or so are Blu so I'm not certain about the correctness of the following especially since I'm forgetful when it comes to entering purchases into DVD Profiler, but it appears to be the case that X-Files Season 1 (released 5/11/2000, purchased 5/10/200 from Reel.com for $90). The cheapest I ever paid for an X-files season was either $72(US) or $89.99(CAN). But the sets retailed for about 150.

I paid 27 for the first blu-ray tv season (Burn Notice S2) and it's the only blu burn notice that I Have.

And the number of disks in my TV collection is somewhat off depending on how you count because some of them count a season as 1 entry and some of them count each individual disk as one item plus one for the season.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I would have to say that my first set was either Planet of the Apes: The Complete Series or Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 1. I really can't remember. I know that MASH, season 1 and Baretta, season 1 are very early sets that I purchased as well.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
My first boxed set was season one of TNG.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
My very first was THE SIMPSONS: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON. At the time, I wasn't even aware that it was announced....let alone released until I was on my computer and listening to the radio one morning when the DJs were discussing the release of the set. Needless to say, i couldn't have ran to the mall fast enough upon hearing this news! Furthermore, I couldn't run back home fast enough to watch it!

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Andrew Radke said:
My very first was THE SIMPSONS: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON.
Same here, I think! TV Shows on DVD says it came out 9/25/01. Not a lot of TV box sets out yet back then! ...and I would never have guessed that i'd have a whole wall full of vintage TV at home. I think the next complete sets I got were some Gerry Anderson-produced series, like Stingray and Captain Scarlet, since A&E was one of the few companies putting out complete vintage TV at the time. Oh, and Mary Tyler Moore, season 1--and we had to wait 3 years for season 2!

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I can distinctly recall the first DVD I purchased but am really not sure about the first TVonDVD set! Looking back I'd guess it was Monty Python's Flying Circus Complete Megaset (the first version which came in standard keep cases) *and* Star Trek: TOS - S1. I picked up both at the same time. A few weeks later I completed the Star Trek series by purchasing S2 & S3. From there it snowballed, especially the past few years with all the superb prices on TVonDVD series.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
First season of X-Files when it was released. Awesome! Still can't believe I paid $35 for 2 episodes on Laserdisc(3 discs) in the late 90's.

First complete series was in 2001, the complete Planet Of the Apes series from 1974. It remains my most treasured series of all tv on dvd releases.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Bryan^H said:
First season of X-Files when it was released. Awesome! Still can't believe I paid $35 for 2 episodes on Laserdisc(3 discs) in the late 90's.
That's why I didn't feel bad paying $95 for the whole season when it first came out. If I was buying 24 episodes on LD, it would have cost like $400. :)

By the way, you do know that the Herzog Nosferatu is coming to Blu-ray, right?

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
TravisR said:
That's why I didn't feel bad paying $95 for the whole season when it first came out. If I was buying 24 episodes on LD, it would have cost like $400. :)

By the way, you do know that the Herzog Nosferatu is coming to Blu-ray, right?
Thanks Travis. Yeah I've known for a few weeks, but been too lazy to change my signature, and pic :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks