What was your experience with BB/CC in-home extended warranty.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gerard Martin, Apr 12, 2002.

1. Gerard Martin

Gerard Martin Second Unit

Of the two companies, Best Buy, Circuit

City who would you rate the best to

perform in-home TV repair or calibration

service. Were you completely satisfied

with the service and would you recommend

it. Thanks.

2. JasonKrol

JasonKrol Supporting Actor

I personally have no experience with this (and I hope not to either), but Im pretty sure that neither provide any kind of calibration services. And if they did, I dont know that I would want them doing it. Repair is one thing. If I were you, I would consider finding an ISF Certified Service in your area to do any calibration etc. If you visit the ISF homepage at imagescience.org (i believe is the URL) there is a searchable database to find certified technicians in your area etc.

3. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

For comments about Best Buy, you should take a gander at the customer comment section at http://www.bestbuysux.org That should be enough to disuade anyone from buying a "performance service plan" at Best Buy.

4. Mike Matheson

Mike Matheson Second Unit

Gerard,
    I'm with Jason on the being careful with considering either company as a source for "calibrating" a video display.
    If you want to save money, maybe pick up Avia or Video Essentials and give it a shot yourself.
    If you're willing to spend some money ($300-500), then a good ISF Tech would be the way to go. Here's a thread discussing ISF calibration: ISF CERTIFICATION, COMPARED and DISCUSSED
    BTW, you didn't indicate if you're considering purchasing, or whether you already have a unit (and what that unit is). That info might help us give you further ideas (i.e., a full ISF Calibration on a 27" TV might be overkill).
    Regards,
    Mike

5. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

The blue-tinted Hitachi that I sold to my parents is testament to how badly a Circuit City technican can screw something up!!