What was worse: Jaws 3 or Superman 3 ?

Alex-C

Screenwriter
right now on this radio station I am listening to on my commute, they have mock animal fights, where people log onto the website and vote for which animal they think would win (yesterday's was a Leopard vs. a bull mastiff, the Leopard won, and the all time champion right now is the Polar Bear).

Anyway, it gave me the idea of the same sort of runoff, but with B movies.

Two of my most favorite BAD movies are Jaws 3 (or Jaws 3-d if you saw it in the theater like I did) vs. Superman 3 (with Richard Pryor nonetheless !)

Alex-C

Screenwriter
Yes but Jaws 3-D had the super pairing of early 80 sweethearts Bess Armstrong and Dennis Quaid, and the incomparable, Louis Gossett Jr. fresh off his oscar winning performance in An Officer and a Gentleman.

And while were on the subject, how is it you follow up an O and a G with Jaws 3-d ?

I'd say, Lou's agent wasn't doing his job !

Will K

Screenwriter
Jaws 3 by far, just plain unwatchable. Superman III kinda sucks, but seen much worse.

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
If it's in 3-D, Jaws 3-D is better. If it's not in 3-D, at least Superman fights himself.

I saw Jaws 3-D in 3-D last year at the Bloor in Toronto, and it was a blast, particularly the way every severed body part had to slowly float towards you...

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Superman 3 - I remember being so disappointed by this awful and boring movie...

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Both have their own b-movie charms. But I think that Superman deserved a lot better than THAT for his second sequel! Sheesh! Two good movies, and then the series degenerates into broad comedy? Oh well, broad comedy is perferable to weird homoeroticism, which is what happened to another super hero series we all know and love.

In a deep, dark "I love Pixy Stix" kinda way...Jaws 3 can be kinda fun. Ha.

Jim DiJoseph

Second Unit
Not to go off-topic, but it's funny that these two movies were chosen...because each had another sequel that surpassed (in total suckiness) these! I think if I were to graph these movies, their curves would be extremely similar!!! The originals - classics, and excellent in so many ways! The sequels - also very good, entertaining. The third installments - quick turn to the dark side, quite bad. The fourth ones - the epitome of suckdom, dear God how do these movies get made?!

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I'd say, Lou's agent wasn't doing his job !
Wins an Oscar in 1983, and what's he done since then? A load of crap: Jaws 3D, The Principal, Enemy Mine, FOUR Iron Eagle movies... it's all garbage.
As a side note, I'm noticing that Supporting Actor seems to be given out a lot to actors who are, umm, past their prime:
Year: Actor (age when they won)
2000: Michael Caine (67)
1999: James Coburn (70)
1995: Martin Landau (64)
1993: Gene Hackman (63)
1992: Jack Palance (73)
1988: Sean Connery (58)
1986: Don Ameche (77)
1982: John Gielgud (78)
1980: Melvyn Douglas (79)
1976: George Burns (80)
1974: John Houseman (71)
1971: John Mills (61)
1969: Jack Albertson (61)
Don't know what to make of this, just kind of a curiosity.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
For what it is worth, Superman 3 is way better than Jaws 3, even though it isn't very good.
Jim, you're completely right. So here is the real question - Which is worse, Superman 4 : Quest for Peace or Jaws 4 : The Revenge?

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I think JAWS 3-D is much worse than SUPERMAN III. I think the biggest problem with SUPERMAN III is that it had a lot of expectation riding on it when released, and the franchise was ruined when Richard Lester turned his back on what made the series work and injected his own brand of cynicism instead of the "gee whiz" stuff we saw in SUPERMAN and parts of SUPERMAN II. But SIII is a well produced film with nice photography and good(if not earth shaking) special effects, as well as some good acting from Christopher Reeve and at least one really nifty scene(Supes vs. Clark in the junk yard).

JAWS 3-D, on the other hand, is just plain dull. It was barely exciting in 3-D on the big screen and it's almost unwatchable in 2-D on television.

rhett

Supporting Actor
In 3D I chose Jaws 3, for the novelty and seeing Dennis Quaid ham it up. But not in 3D, I'd have to go with Superman 3.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frans5508