What's new

What was "Up With People"? (1 Viewer)

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Jim - The New Seekers formed up later - After Judith Durham left. I saw them at Disneyland once, but they didn't sound the same any more.

The 'Coke' song isn't even listed on the notes, or the CD, but comes after 'Red Rubber Ball'.

Glenn

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
All Music Guide

"Known chiefly for making a Coca-Cola jingle into a massive worldwide hit, the New Seekers ostensibly grew out of the ashes of the Australian folk-rock outfit the Seekers ("Georgy Girl"). Although their clear harmonies, pop leanings, and squeaky-clean image were similar to the original band, their actual connection was tenuous at best. After the Seekers disbanded, guitarist/vocalist Keith Potger put together an otherwise completely new band in late 1969: female vocalists Eve Graham and Sally Graham (no relation), guitarists/vocalists Laurie Heath and Marty Kristian, and bassist/vocalist Chris Barrington. Potger christened them the New Seekers and produced their self-titled 1970 debut album,..."

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, that sounds about right, but they didn't mention the commercial. If it was a New Seekers song, then what was it doing on a(n) (old) Seekers album?

I missed this on TV as I was overseas, but saw it later on the tube - probably for a documentary about commercials or Coke.

Glenn

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Ha ha ha, I just transferred an old Beta tape of the 1982 Superbowl to DVD (I'm not a sports fan at all, but I love old commercials and this has a ton of them) and Up With People did the halftime show on it. They sing a bunch of 50s and 60s tunes. This'll get a lot of repeat play!

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Mark:

I was a child for most of the 80s, too, but that didn't prevent me from being around for the 60s and 70s. :)

I tried out for the less-well-known "Up Yours, People!" in the mid-70s but didn't make the cut.

Regards,

Joe

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
I remember the Coke song by the New Seekers, but I thought the radio version was by the Hillside Singers. I did a Google search and found this: Gaggy sugary sweet stuff

It peaked at #13 in 1972.

Or, for the hyperlink impaired:

"Thirty years ago Coke (Coca-Cola) had a hit commercial with the I'D LIKE TO TEACH THE WORLD TO SING song and The Hillside Singers had a chart-topping single of the song. Soon the New Seekers also released a version which competed with The Hillside Singers. But now the Coke and New Seekers versions are largely forgotten, and The Hillside Singers album of the same name, including that song, has been re-issued on CD....."

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Well, I swear that I brought a legal CD, but now I am wondering if the recording I have was done without getting any permission from anyone! As I said, I have never seen it on TV, except part of it briefly, and I have it on an (Old) Seekers CD, but it is not listed on the CD or the credits in the booklet.

Anywho, I went straight to the horse's mouth for this one, and I guess it explains everything.

http://www2.coca-cola.com/ourcompany...e_hilltop.html

Glenn

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Thanks Glenn, that was interesting. I just noticed the New Seekers album on page three of the October Collector's Choice catalog.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks