What was this 50's/early 60's horror flick?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Chuck Bogie, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

It really freaked me out when I was watching afternoon TV one day, when I was about 6-7 years old (would have been 1966-1967ish).

All I really remember was that it had a monster in it that scooped out the backs of peoples' heads, and left a smoking hole.

2. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    It might be one of these "brain-sucking" movies:

FIEND WITHOUT A FACE (1958-British) --the monsters are invisible through most of the film, and finally materialize as disembodied brain/backbone critters that slither and leap about. They suck out the brains and spinal cords of their victims, "like the yolk from an egg", but you never actually see the wound, and it doesn't smoke. It all takes place in and around a U.S. air base in Canada. Available on DVD from Criterion.

THE BRAIN EATERS (1958) --I've yet to see this, but apparently the critters look like fuzzy bedroom slippers, and emerge from a little "mechanical mole"-type ship from the world below. Leonard Nimoy appears in this. So far unreleased on DVD in Region 1.

THE BRAINIAC (1962-Mexican) --weird brain-slurping beast that is the modern-day reincarnation of a warlock burned at the stake in the 1400s. He's got a big rubber-mask head that pulsates, and a large forked tongue that jabs into the back of his victims' necks and siphons out the grey matter. Agin, you see no actual wound, and I don't remember any smoke resulting from his feeding frenzies. The Brainiac can also assume human form, so as not to arouse any inconvenient suspicion. This was released on DVD by Beverly Wilshire, but now out-of-print, and somewhat difficult to find.

Any of these ring a bell? If not, then you must've seen an extremely obscure feature, or else an episode of some pretty deranged TV show.

3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

The original Invaders from Mars?

Starship Troopers? [​IMG]

4. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

Nope - don't think so - It was American (the folks seemed to have that "brave new world" look and feel to 'em...), and the image that stuck with me was a victim, face down, with a big hole in the back of the ol' cranium...

This was an afternoon TV movie, and it scarred me for life...

Brain Eaters could be close - I seem to remember something about atomic testing or something of that sort too...

Twitch, twitch, twitch...