What's new

What was the purpose of the "mix" output on the Sony STR-DE 965? (1 Viewer)

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Quite curious on this one. I used to own this reciever and used this output for my subwoofer. I'm thinking thats why my Mirage BPS-150i is fried. I could never turn the input gain on the sub up much past 2 without it bottoming out. Would this be a millivolts thing? Any suggestions on technical/specs and purpose on this "mix" output would be much appreciated. Since I bought this sub as a demo in June of 1998 I have always had this problem. I did take it back twice in the first year to get the drivers replaced. The voice coil and drivers were seperating. This time around I mentioned a problem with the input gain and sure enough it needs replacing.

I thought I had a 5 year warranty on it but since its a powered unit Mirage only has a one year warrenty. I was quoted at $300.00 to fix this and since its $700.00 street and $1000.00 for the BPS-400 I'm considering my options.

Thanks in advance.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
I had a couple of Sonys. You are correct that it was THE subwoofer output. Why Sony chose "Mix" output, I have no idea. (Maybe it should have been "bass" mix if they just had to use the mix thing??)

Anyway, I never had any problems with the mix output on mine. I always felt that the output level was similar to other gear I've owned. My feeling is that the problem may have indeed been the sub but really have no way of knowing.

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Thanks Chuck. I'll be contacting Mirage, since this sub never really worked properly from the get-go.

Users who are viewing this thread