What's new

What was the OAR of "Fletch" (1985)? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I was watching "Fletch" on TCM the other night, and I was sorry to see it was in full-frame. I know it is the print Universal Television gave them, and yes, it was uncensored ("Are you using the whole fist?"), but still I was surprised. On the upside, I didn't notice any panning-and-scanning.

So, I figured I'd ask...What's the OAR of "Fletch"? Also, was it filmed open-matte?

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

While waiting for the answer, I'll have a Bloody Mary, a steak sandwich and a steak sandwich.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
According to the Internet Movie Database (admittedly not the most reliable source for accurate movie info), it was filmed Spherical 1.85:1. This would seem to indicate that it wasn't "open-matte." Anyone have a (shudder) VHS copy they can compare to the DVD?

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
I watched part of it zoomed to 1.78:1 and it appeared to be alright composition wise. I suspect that the TCM transfer was open matte.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Weird that TCM would show this film full frame, while there is an OAR DVD.

The other film that I have seen broadcasted on TCM MAR is the Lemmon/Matthau The Front Page.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Come to think of it, they've aired "Coal Miner's Daughter" and "Car Wash" in full-frame as well.

"Fletch", "The Front Page", "Coal Miner's Daughter" and "Car Wash" were all Universal releases...Why were they all full-frame?

Warners' "Enter The Dragon", Columbia's "Seems Like Old Times" and Touchstone's "Shoot To Kill" have aired on TCM full-frame as well.

Odd.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Well, Nobody's Perfect.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
That is why I am glad I have the OAR DVD of it:)
Why did I order my food here? It is where I knew my mouth would be.

Which also reminds me of something your wife said when we were in bed together. She said we have similar builds. From the waist up I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks