What was the no. 1 cd of 2001?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bill lopez, Dec 26, 2001.

1. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I read that it's Shaggy, but didn't Billboard say it was The Beatles 1 cd? So does anybody know what the no. 1 cd of 2001 is?

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

"The Truth About Us" - Tim Easton

....oh I'm sorry are you refering to the silly stuff that the masses go out and purchase, nevermind then.

Bill: in all seriousness...according to Soundscan (US sales only) Shaggy sold almost double what the Beatles "1" did during the year 2001. Release to date the Beatles has scanned more. I did not see the Billboard article but possibly it was refering to worldwide sales for 2001 of which I am not sure of.

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

4. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

I just can't get into ANY new music, period.

I find myself sticking to artists I grew up with, their reissues/remasters, and artists that I missed the first time around.

Call me an old fart, I just can't find ANYTHING interesting out there anymore.

I know I'm not alone.

5. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Mike I know what you mean! To me the decline started in the 90's with black music drifting away from R&B to rap and no guitar wizards for rock music.

6. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Mike,

Give a listen to Ryan Adams. Especially his new album "Gold". It's just fabulous.

7. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

"Give a listen to Ryan Adams. Especially his new album "Gold". It's just fabulous."

Thanks Ric, I and the rest of the group here, can use all of the recommendations we can get...

anymore ?

8. Brian Bunn

Brian Bunn Second Unit

Mike--Do a search further back in this Music section. You will find many great recomendations. There is a thread on "Top 10 Albums of 2001" and "The Best Albums of the 90's" that are filled with great recomendations that will change your mind about not finding "anything interesting out there anymore". There is still some good stuff being put out today. You just have to look for it. Unfortunately, it is being greatly overshadowed by all the mediocre stuff that everyone seems to be buying these days.

9. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

"...I know what you mean! To me the decline started in the 90's with black music drifting away from R&B to rap and no guitar wizards for rock music."

Bill, maybe it wasn't a decline, as you say, but the music just became less accessible to most people and more special to the black community as a music art formRap...especially to Hard Core Rap music lovers.

I still have a fondness for early rap like Grandmaster Flash and the other Sugarhill artists, A Tribe Called Quest, DelaSoul, ...but that's as far as I go.

To me, Living Color was a very underrated, and very important crossover group that suffered from too many comparisons to Hendrix and Rap.

10. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

I like to listen to rap songs from the 90's but I just get upset that the background music is something I heard in the 70's.

11. Nick_G

Nick_G Stunt Coordinator

i agree with bill lopez and mikeAW. it's been a while since i bought anything "new". there is some stuff out now that i like but that is few and far between and it's the usual "one song on the album is good and the rest sux" syndrome. i'll just listen to some of the stuff my 16 year son listens too to see how much of it i like. in the same respect my son loves the beatles, a lot of the 80's rock/new wave/one hit wonder stuff, and he loves "in the court of the crimson king" and "21st century schizoid man". thank God he doesn't like hard core brotha rap crap!! usually when i buy a CD it's just to replace an old vinyl album i had. show me the merit of rap and i'll introduce you to my wife, Britney Spears!!

12. isobel meldar

Neva Dinova S/T

13. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

My #1 CD of 2001 is Horror Show by Iced Earth

14. Bergan Peters

Bergan Peters Stunt Coordinator

Ben Folds-Rockin the Suburbs. My best album of 2001. BAR NONE BABY!

15. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

I looked at the list from that Billboard list and besides the Beatles #1, I do not have one record on that list. I was in my teens when hair bands were in thier glory so I am still following what some of them are doing now. Or trying out some new bands that are not getting any airplay like Tsar or Placebo.

Jeff_P

16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer