What was the name of that Netflix-like online video game rental service...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Saurav, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

... and do any of you use it? If you do, would you recommend it? Are the discs usually in playable condition? My Xbox tends to be a little picky about the discs it'll play.

Thanks,
    Saurav

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

3. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Gamefly, that's it. I finally decided that I'm spending too much money at Blockbuster ($13 in the last 3 days), and I end up playing games I'm not really interested in because the ones I want are always out.

Thanks.

P.S. Are you on the 2 game plan or the 1 game plan? Or the 3 game plan? [​IMG] Does it make sense to have multiple games checked out simultaneously? It makes sense for movies, but with video games I wonder... what's been your experience with that so far?

4. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

your asking the wrong person that question. he can never have enough games

capt

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The setup looks similar to Netflix, I wish they'd integrate the two. I think this is a great way for many to support the gaming industry. I can't bring myself to spend $40 on Vietiful Joe even though it looks like a game that I'd love.

6. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

Well, I signed up yesterday, let's see how it works out. First game on my list - Fatal Frame, which no local video game rental store has, and I'm not sure if I'll like it ehough (or it'll last long enough) to want to buy it.

Agreed about merging it with Netflix - that would be cool. Maybe one should buy the other, if they're separate companies [​IMG]

7. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

I was with them for a short time. The discs were in excellent condition, I ended up purchasing 2 of them. However the postal time from CA to VA was very slow. I was averaging around 7-8 days one-way for mailing. Then I had a very discs either not show up or not make it back and they cancelled my account (limit is 2, at 3 they cancel). Since then 1 of the 3 has shown up back at their facility, but I decide not to renew the membership due to the horrible ship time.

Now if they would link with Netflix and use Netflix's distribution centers (giving me a 4 day total turnaround) I would most likely re-join.

Chris

8. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I also just cancelled my membership with Gamefly. The mail time was 6 days (12 or more days round trip) to Denver and just to long for me. I could have lived with a 6 day turn around time but 12+ is just to much.

I wish Netflix would pick this up. They have a center in Denver and turn around is darn fast.

9. Saurav

Saurav Cinematographer

If these people are based in CA, then I shouldn't have too many problems. Anyway, let's see how things work out. Thanks for relating your experiences.