What's new

What was the last live concert or show you've been too? (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Last year I went to see two different concerts...my first concerts in many, many years.

The first was Lea Salonga at the Troy Music Hall in Troy, NY The 2nd was Glen Campbell (his farewell tour) at "the Egg" Performing Arts Center in Albany, NY.

Next up for me will be Diana Krall at Proctor's Theater (one of those beautiful old Vaudeville theaters from the early part of the 20th century) in Schenectady on October 1st. Very excited about going to that show (4th row center!).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I saw Lea Salonga perform in a concert of songs by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil. She did her big song from Miss Saigon, and was part of a large ensemble doing songs from all their shows. This was year before last.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
I must profess that I had no idea who Lea Salonga was. I'll bet that was a great performance. Mike's got a nice show lined up there with Diana Krall - seats will be awesome!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
When I saw Salonga, it was a solo show and she did a number of songs from Disney films, standards and showtunes (Les Miz, Flower Drum Song and Miss Saigon...among others). She has the voice of an angel. As clear as crystal and she can sing with such emotion. She even pulls some schmoe up out of the audience during her shows to do a duet on Whole New World (from Disney's Aladdin). Sometimes they are really good. Sometimes not. This is the audience member from the show we saw. He was obviously hoping for his chance. He knew his part (including the harmony) inside/out:

It is nice that Salonga allows family/friends to take video of those performances within her show.

Since we're talking about going to live shows...here's my story about the Krall concert. As big a fan of Diana Krall as I am...my wife is the opposite. She just doesn't care for her music. When the upcoming show was announced, I really knew I wanted to go--she had played other local venues over the years but I had never gone (partially because of my wife's disinterest). This was not going to happen again! But I also couldn't find anyone else to buddy-up with...so since I wanted to get excellent seats, I went ahead and purchased a single ticket and will go by myself.

At the age of 54 I don't think I need my teacher to send me on my errand with a friend so I don't get lost! :biggrin:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, the "Do you hear the people sing" concert was last year. In addition to Lea Salonga, we got to see Terrence Mann (Broadway's original Beast in Beauty and the Beast) and Brian Stokes Mitchell. Pops orchestra and large choir, too.

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
Saw Marilyn Manson and Alice Cooper a few weeks ago. MM was absolutely horrible. Worst performance and singing I have seen in a very very very long time. Was shocked on how bad it was. Alice on the other hand still freaking rocking it, and still puts on a killer show!Next up is Black Sabbath!

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Yeah, saw Alice a few years ago, still rocking awesomely :)

Last show I saw was the Pet Shop Boys a few weeks ago, really good. Very visual show, as always, and a good mix of old and new, especially considering the new was released this week, so a bit risky playing non-released stuff, but it worked.

Can't wait for the blu ray that must come ;)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Amaranthe / Kobra and the Lotus / Flames of Fury at the Gramercy in NYC last Wednesday. KILLER show all around!

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I saw a lesser known rockabilly artist, Jerry Jaye, in concert here locally a couple of years ago. I became friends with this wife, Darlene Battles, on Facebook and saw they were going to be in concert. Some of the best money I've ever spent. I even got him to autograph a couple of 45's of his for me!

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
I saw Streisand both nights she was at the Hollywood Bowl last November. At 70, her voice wasn't quite what it had been, but still impressive. And some nice duets with Chris Botti on trumpet.

ChristopherG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
So a bit of luck on the part of a friend in winning two tickets IN THE THIRD ROW for a REO Speedwagon/Styx show and I was in classic rock heaven this past Friday!! REO opened and they were absolutely FANTASTIC. I really wasn't sure about what to expect from them, but they knocked it out of the park - I am definitely going to try and catch them again. Styx was phenomenal and a real blast back to my HS years....

Attachments

• IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 56

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Awesome Christopher, that looks like a fun show!

You bumped this thread at an opportune time. I'm seeing more shows this year than I have ever hit in one summer...

The Heavy:

13-TheHeavy-05344 by Kadath, on Flickr

The Silent Comedy:

13-TheHeavy-05290-2 by Kadath, on Flickr

Full set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157634290640624/

The Rolling Stones (Keith had a HUGE smile the whole show):

13-RollingStones-05598 by Kadath, on Flickr

Full set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157634285623305/

The Eagles:

13-Eagle-DC-05757 by Kadath, on Flickr

Full set:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kadath/sets/72157635127946926/

Next up, Cage The Elephant and Muse

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Sam Posten said:
Awesome Christopher, that looks like a fun show!

You bumped this thread at an opportune time. I'm seeing more shows this year than I have ever hit in one summer...

The Heavy:

13-TheHeavy-05344 by Kadath, on Flickr
Is that a phone in his pocket...or is he just glad to be featured on the Home Theater Forum?!? :rolleyes:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Next up for me will be Diana Krall at Proctor's Theater (one of those beautiful old Vaudeville theaters from the early part of the 20th century) in Schenectady on October 1st. Very excited about going to that show (4th row center!).
Went to this and was THRILLED.

My first time seeing Krall live. I let other opportunities slip through my fingers and vowed to not let that happen again. My wife didn't want to go---and none of my friends either--so, I went by myself. Just me, Diana, and several hundred of her other friends.

I have no photos from the concert as the ushers were really on top of anyone taking out their cell phone during the performance. But I did snap this image of the marquee before the concert.

Diiana Krall Proctors Marquee 10-1-2013.jpeg

One cool thing. There was no intermission. She performed for two hours + with no break. At one point midway through, her band wandered off stage and she performed several songs solo.

She also started the show with this film (featuring Steve Buscemi) projected on-screen behind the stage and performed the song live:

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
snowmine and norwegian arms last friday.

last october, flaming lips with tame impala and ghost of a sabertooth tiger (fronted by sean lennon) opening for them.

both shows in philly.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks