What's new

What was the first film to show the Female Body in Silhouette? (1 Viewer)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I was watching the film UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE (1963) which featured a scene where Carol Lynley's lovely form is shown in silhouette behind a sheet. She is wearing her underwear but the sight of her form must have been pretty provocative for the time. That got me wondering what film first showed the female form in silhouette to get by the censors?

It's not the Bond films. Dr. No (1962) showed fully dressed woman in silhouette. From Russia With Love and Goldfinger showed projected images onto the female form. It wasn't until THUNDERBALL (1965) when a woman's curves are shown in silhouette.

Then I thought of ... AND GOD CREATED WOMAN (1956) where Brigitte Bardot's quite nude image is displayed in silhouette behind a sheet hanging on a line.

Perhaps the cineastes on this forum can think of even earlier occurrences of this ...

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Pre-code Hollywood did it numerous times, IIRC. Gold Diggers of 1933 did it with 15-20 women at once (see the 5:50 mark here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnpv1qXMnaM&feature=related )

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Guys,

Both films are excellent examples and exactly what I was looking for. The "women" are in silhouette/backlit and showing their full forms.

Nice work!

Thanks

Rich D.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks