What's new

What was the first DVD that started your collection (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Dark City, a film I love, started it all for me. I purchased the DVD prior to buying a DVD player. I had a friend who lived in close proximity to me who also had a DVD player and I would watch the movie at his house.

Blade Runner and the Matrix.
I didn't expect to buy many DVDs. In all the years of VHS I only bought a few and missed the LD entirely. Little did I suspect the lure of those little shiny discs. After a few more dvd purchases I knew I was missing out... no 5.1 surround... so add a sound system. Cool... more dvds... hey this isn't right.. the sound is great but the picture is too small..it's not balanced. Wow this 53" rptv looks amazing!! Suddenly, I'm a home theater owner and the dvds keep coming. 500+ and loving it!!!!:)

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
The R2 DVD of Léon (The Professional) (March '98), a few weeks before my first DVD player :).
My first R1 DVDs: Devil's Advocate and Contact, a few weeks afterwards during a trip to the USA.
Vincent

Ray Suarez

Stunt Coordinator
I think it was February or March 1998 when I purchased a bare bones RCA DVD player for $400 (on sale!) at Montgomery Wards and hurried over to Best Buy to pick up copies of Spawn and Contact. Their entire dvd collection was confined to one small rack next to the Bose home theater demonstration room.
Ray

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Ahhh the always-favorite "What was your first" DVD poll. :)
The first DVD I ever bought was "Contact" about two months before I actually bought my player, then "Boogie Nights Platnium Series" 350 discs later....
Jay

Duane_T

Stunt Coordinator
Ronin - about two months before my first DVD player - wow was 5.1 DVD soooo much better than my old mono 2 head VCR.

John Thomas

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, back when I bought my DVD player in 1994 I picked up The Matrix, Moulin Rouge and Star Wars: Episode 1. It was great to get the prototype released by my good friends. It da BOMB.

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
Along with my Panasonic A310 DVD player:

Twister

Leathal Weapon 3

The Fugitive

The ironic thing is that all of the above have already been replaced (including the DVD player) and I didn't even realize it until this post!

-Mike

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
The opportunity to see Dazed and Confused in OAR was what made me take the plunge (three years ago today come to think of it!). Picked up The Negotiator at the same time.

Rob

RolandTGS

Auditioning
The Matrix.

It just came out the same week I bought my crappy Apex DVD player.

Interesting note though. I bought The Matrix for $17.99 (regular price)that day at Future Shop. Now, going on 2 years later, it is selling for $22.99. What's up with that?

Dave_P

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased three DVD's when I picked up my player.

Braveheart (because it's a great f--ing movie)

True Romance (because I love this interesting movie even though I think a better version is needed.

Jurassic Park (because of the sound and wonder of dinosaurs)

I think I started out pretty well. I usually will only by DVD's that I know, for me, will have repeat viewings.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks