What's new

What was the First concert you ever went to? (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Aimee Mann at the Columbus Zoo Amphitheater, August 2003. Very nice atmosphere, but I don't like how she sounds live, and it was just like listening to a recording. Unless she comes to town again in an intimate setting, I probably won't see her again. The original opener couldn't make it (Duncan Sheik), so one of Aimee's guitarists (Julian Coryell) subbed, and he was awesome. Just him and his guitar.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Edgar Winter Group at Masonic Auditorium, Detroit, in 1972 ("They Only Come out at Night" tour)

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Sammy Hagar
Frank Marino
Mahogony Rush
Jacksonville Coliseum....Who the hell is Frank Marino and Mahogony Rush? I was 15 and really had not hit my musical prowess yet.

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
1978-The Palladium NYC. The headling act was a band called Angel. The warm up bands were The Godz & Judas Priest.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
The James Gang...County College of Morris. I was 14 I think. Saw Joe Walsh backstage SOOOOOOOOOOO drunk (20+ empty Bud cans in front of him) that he was conversing with an imaginery friend! The bassist and drummer were as amused as my friends and I were.

Semi Big Show: Alice Cooper "Killer" tour where he hung himself at the end of the show.

BIG show..Allman Brothers in the Wolman Rink one weeks before Dwayne was killed. EXACT same set as the Live at The Fillmore Album.

BIG ARENA show: The Who..Original Spectrum in Philly. Quadrophenia Tour. Quad sound system and all.

LIVE ALBUM Show: Bowie at The Tower in Philly. Was there the last two nights of the run, 2 row and 3th row Orchestra Pit seating respectively.

Have 8mm/Super 8mm film from a lot of the shows I went to.

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
Does BEATLEMANIA count? (1979)

If not, the WHO in 1982.

It's for future conversations like this, that I took my son to his first concert 2 years ago while at age 11. He will tell people "Paul McCartney".

C

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band at the Tampa Jai Alai Fronton in Tampa, Florida. It was 1975 on his Born to Run tour, a few weeks after he was simultaneously on the covers of both Time and Newsweek. There were less than 3000 people at the show and it was *amazing*.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
Technically my first one was Weird Al Yankovic when I was in elementary school. But the first real one was Dave Matthews Band during the Under the Table and Dreaming tour at Greatwoods in Mansfield, MA

Tom McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
What a bunch of youngsters we have here the first concert I attended, 1965 Dave Clark Five I was 11, second Blood Sweat & Tears 1968, 100's since then.

Shane D

Supporting Actor
my brothers high school band concert.

but i dont thin that is what you meant.

311 in 96 in lampe missouri, (near branson) nice little ampitheater, no doubt and the urge opened for them, best show i've ever seen.
next best was rush in st louis in 97 or 98

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff

KISS was also my first show. It was a year later though when they had the four solo album out. Fortunately, they didn't do very many songs from those albums. The show was at Market Square Arena in Indianapolis. The Michael Stanley Band was the opening act (remember them Cleveland?).

Jimmy Nugent

Stunt Coordinator
That would have been either Van Halen during the Diver Down tour or U2 on thier War tour- sometime in the early 80's- '81 or '82, in the Jacksonville Coliseum. I don't remember which came first... the contact high I experienced in the cloud-covered nose-bleeds seems to have had an effect on my recollection.

The most recent concert was Elvis Costello on March 6th at the House of Blues in Orlando. Fourth time I've seen him. Always a great show.

Calvin- have you been to the new Arena? Sound leaves alot to be desired- especially considering how much money went into the sound system. I miss the old coliseum...

Jimmy

GrahamMc

Auditioning
Mine was in 1993 or so. I was a sophomore in high school and went to see The Allman Brothers Band. The opening band was a moderately known Blues Traveler (it was right after Four came out). Great concert!

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Cheap Trick in 1980 at the Quincy College Gym in Quincy, Illinois. Some band called Blue Dixie opened up and got booed mercilessly. Sammy Hagar and Molly Hatchet were both there earlier in the year, but I didn't get to go. I've seen Cheap Trick 3 times since then (including the University of Missour-Rolla's St. Pat's celebration in '85 or '86, and then a couple of years ago here in Atlanta), and they are still great live.

First BIG ARENA SHOW? Rush at the Checkerdome in St. Louis in '84 or '85. Muddy/reflective sound. That was a horrible place to see a concert.

ChrisDixon

Second Unit
Bruce Springsteen at Three Rivers Stadium in Pittsburgh - Born in the USA tour in the Summer of 1985 (I think). I guess I would have been 14 at the time.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks