what was the complaint regarding street of emergency ?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Aug 20, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i havent played the game. but i will let you guys know why i asked this question after i see more replies.

2. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I thought the main complaint about the game was that it was boring, too repetitive, and people felt like Rockstar's success with GTA3 made them buy SoE and expect a lot more than what it had to offer.

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

That it was just too dull & repetitive - the much hyped number of characters just wasn't interesting enough combined with a flawed control system for the fighting/camera.
    It was hyped by the press to be the next GTA3 (which it was never aimed to be), and when it turned out to be a simplistic follow-up to the arcade scrolling beaters of the past, it turned a lot of people off it.
    Of course, they found out all that after they'd bought it [​IMG]

4. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

Yup, there was no depth to the game.. I only played maybe 4 hours total until I said forget it so i sold on ebay

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Interesting piece of trivia - the original "design" for SOE at VIS Entertainment was by the artist who did the ped artwork for the first GTA game.

6. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Luckily I only rented this title instead of trusting the previews and going out to purchase it.

As stated before, after about 10 minutes it quickly becomes obvious that there is little offered in this game other then the same old running around to kick and punch. I played it for a few hours over the span of a couple days and couldn't wait to turn it back in. I still get a chuckle every time I see the mega copies available on the shelf at BB.

7. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

I have to agree... I had hoped there'd be more to this game than the fabled X number of onscreen characters. It's probably the most common used game on the shelves.. I see it everywhere. [​IMG] I did uncover slightly more depth in the fighting/moves system after a few days with this game (commend me on my patience... hehe) but ultimately a shallow and boring title.
    ~j

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I skipped this title due to the lack of variety in game play...

9. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

State of Emergency*****

-Bert

10. felix_suwarno

thanks for the responses.

you see, i had the opportunity to meet with the team who did the game at siggraph2002, in san antonio last month. they were scotch! a friend of mine, who was also scotch, introduce me to them when he gave them his demo disc. the team also paid for my lunch!! they were nice people, and they didnt have any problem to talk a little bit about their jobs when we ate.

i didnt have pictures, because i didnt want to act like a fanboy.

well, i aksed a few simple questions. and the team answered the questions, and damn i dont remember their names.

Q:everybody said that state emergency was a simple clone of old games similar to streets of rage, and it didnt sell in united states. what did you think about it when you guys made the game?

A:the game was actually made with double dragon in mind. we think people only play games in "short bursts". they dont play games for hours in a day. so we wanted to make it simple.

Q:what kind of pc did you guys use and what software?

i dont really remember the answer, but they said that it depends. since the people who created the movie clip has to follow their client's order, they sometime use maya, or 3d studio. they mentioned pentium3 processor, but i dont remember anymore detail. they also said that they upgrade their pc every 2 to 3 years.

Q:who decides to make the game?
    A:the men in suits!

Q:do these people play videogames?
    A:yes.

now i really wonder why they made state of emergency in the first place. if they do play games, they would realize instantly that even though some people play games only a few minutes everyday ( like me, who is really busy ), there are more that play games for hours daily. and i think they dont have any sense to detect whether a game is fun or not.

they also mentioned the reason why state of emergency failed in the market. reason : the hype was too much, people's expectation went sky high.

Q:do you guys play metalgear?

one person quickly said that he didnt like the game. too much talk.

Q:why didnt you guys try to create games with high production value? the japanese guys could create metalgear, final fantasy games...and they sell.

A:we would like to create games with high prod value, make every element really good even though in the end the game is not long. but at this point we simply dont have enough incentive to do that.

well htf forumers, i dont remember more than that. i didnt write things down. worse, their scotch accent kept in the way. but they are really nice guys and i do hope they would be able to create much better games in the future.

11. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

This, I think, is the best review of SoE out there. (Context: Salon.com wrote an article on the game and asked this guy to comment, this is the unexpurgated version of those comments.)

12. BrianB

BrianB Producer

13. felix_suwarno

scottish? heheheheheheheeh i am sorry, my english sucks...

14. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

15. felix_suwarno

"But, do ye code in a kilt, laddie?

that reminds me how hard it was to understand what those big lads were talking about. their accent was so thick. but well...they didnt wear their kilts. really.

oh!

they also said that the "bruce" in braveheart was a mistake. he didnt live in the same timeline as the hero.

16. BrianB

BrianB Producer

17. felix_suwarno

thanks brian. i actually want to be a game developer like you...but i dont think i need the scottish names.

i hope studying computer graphics is a good way to go.

18. BrianB

BrianB Producer