What was so bad about 'Mission to Mars'?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

It was cheesy as hell. The ending sucked. And there was some bad dialogue. But overall, I found it rather enjoyable. I wouldn't want to watch it again, but I don't think it deserved the all-out slamming it received upon release (1 out of 5 across the board as I recall).

How do you guys feel about it?

2. Luc D

Luc D Second Unit

3. Josh_Hill

Josh_Hill Screenwriter

I dont know what peoples problems are. I liked the flick and thought it was damn good. Great cinematography.

4. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

I liked it quite a bit as well. Still not one I'd get the DVD for, though.

6. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

Bad acting, bad script, bad direction, bad cinematography, bad casting. It's just bad all around. I refer to this movie as Mission to waste two hours of my life that I will never get back. I was hoping for all characters to die bloody deaths, unfortunately, not enough of them did.

7. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

8. Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom Supporting Actor

Although the score was well composed. I did not think it fit the movie at all. It felt so sappy and saccharine at times when it was just too much. If BDP was copying Kubrick, he tried, but came up with a few misses in this one.

9. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

It depends on how old you are I suppose. It's a rip off of 2001: Space Odyssey for one thing. Did I like it? Yea – it was OK but it left me hollow.

Great movies you leave and you talk about feelings, you say things like “I liked the part where . . . .” or “did you notice when . . . “

Average movies you leave and say “It was good” and then never really mention the movie again.

With Mission to Mars we talked about all the holes on the script saying things like “why didn’t they . . . .” or “ if they were really astronauts they should have . . . . .” .

Just way way to many holes in a sci-fi script that left me almost angry and their stupidity.

IT SURE LOOK GOOD THOUGH!!

10. Bill J

Bill J Producer

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Mission to Mars is the only film that I've ever seen where I've come out of the theater visibly angry. Everyone I was with kept asking me..."What's the matter, what's the matter" ...All I could do was point to the poster on the way out.

God I hated this movie...bad everything all around as everyone has pointed out. I remember I got really excited about seeing it, because I'm all for cheesy space flicks (hell, Event Horizon was better than this crap), and when I saw it I was just mistified at how bad it was.

13. Mark Palermo

Mark Palermo Second Unit

I like the movie. It has a horrible reputation--mainly because the trailers led audiences to expect Armageddon--but De Palma smartly evokes things that run-of-the-mill space thrillers avoid 1) the lonely isolation of space travel and 2) (the movie's real theme) the necessity of loss with every new discovery.
    Few blockbusters come close to approaching De Palma's visual poetry. Mission to Mars is told almost entirely through imagery, from the unbroken opening tracking shot which connects the astronauts' families on the same social level (the insignificance of man in the universe), to the similarity in appearance between the M and Ms that Jerry O'Connell uses to create a DNA model with the image of his blood floating in zero gravity (conveying how commercial products have structured our understanding of humankind). An overlooked film, IMO, and one that really improves on the second viewing.
    The critic Armond White wrote two interesting articles on it:
    http://www.nypress.com/content.cfm?c...tent_section=4
    http://www.nypress.com/13/13/film/film.cfm
    Mark

14. Bill J

Bill J Producer

15. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Matt Stone - say's it all lol. We went out to eat afterword and my wife and I kept getting more and more pissed at so many holes in the script and how STUPID this group of astroNUTS were.

We actually sent these guys into space?

16. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

I read White's review and it's ridiculously obvious Mr. White didn't pass eigth grade science. It is also sadly obvious that all the visual versatility and (supposed) tropes, synechdoches, and every other 1st year film student book words don't amount to an Ed Wood if the underlying story sucks the big one.
    Mission to Mars has some awful fatal flaws not the least of which are terrible acting, completely implausible science, and dialog that isn't only unexpository but lacks character revelance. When a film bombs it's sad. When a sci-fi film bombs it's all the worse because sci-fi and fantasy films bear a tremendous burden in creating suspension of disbelief. If that essential ingredient fails then everything else is a waste.

17. ozar

ozar Agent

After seeing it a couple of times, I'd give it a score of 4 or 5, out of 10. I think it boils down to poor scripting and storyline more than anything else. Tim Robbins, Gary Sinise, and Connie Nielson are certainly all very capable actors, so it's got to be that they didn't have much to work with. This film could have been much better... [​IMG]

18. Tom Rags

Tom Rags Supporting Actor

Besides the craptastic ending, the score was quite possibly one of the worst in movie history. The best was that part when they were in zero gravity on the ship, nobody is talking, and they are playing haunted house organ music. I was expecting Bella Legosi to come out and say, "I am zee Maaaa-shen, I vant to suck yo' blaaaahd!"
    This is one of the only movies where I truly wondered if there was going to be one person that enjoyed it. Mark Palermo, I give you credit man. I wish I could have enjoyed this movie like you apparently did, but I truly think you are wayyyyyy over-analyzing this one. That's like saying that Billy Madison is a great movie because Adam Sandler's character clearly demonstrates the dire fallacy in the socioeconomic structure of education and shows strong symbols of wealthy dominence in a world of lower and middle class. I guess no matter how you slice it, it's still balogni [​IMG]
    Just kidding with you, though I respect your opinion I whole heartedly disagree. This movie was a typical "let's get a few good actors together, a special effects budget, and we'll try to pull the wool over the audience's eyes with some semblence of script" kind of movie.
    In the realm of craptasmic proportions, this movie gets two flaming thumbs up (my bum).

19. Chris Lynch

Chris Lynch Stunt Coordinator

I was nearly moved to violence myself after seeing this one. And that is rare for me, I am famous among my friends for finding the redeeming qualities in the worst films. I hated it for mostly the same reasons as others here: bad story, plot holes, bad science, crappy ending, etc. I was highly irritated with the fate of Tim Robbins' character. I do, however, feel the actors did the best job of working with what they had.
    At one point, one of the crew uses the term "PSI": pounds per square inch, a unit of pressure. Do you think top level NASA scientists use pounds or inches in their measurements? Much less on their equipment readouts?
    I thought (flame suit on) Red Planet, which was released shortly after Mission to Mars, was a much better flick. It didn't try to be pretentious, it just took an average story and got on with telling it.
    Of course, maybe my opinion doesn't carry any weight. Some HTFers may remember me defending (sort of) Battlefield Earth (see comment in first paragraph[​IMG] ).

20. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Chris, I'm right there with you on Red Planet. That was a film that understood quite solidly what it was about and how it was going to get there. Everyone involved gave what they could and the result was wonderful (IMO). Scientific inaccuracies aside, it was better in every department in comparison to Mission to Mars. While certainly in the 'B' Hollywood grade of movie, it was more honest and successful at all of its goals.