What was last bad transfer you saw from bad elements??

Discussion in 'DVD' started by David Coleman, Mar 31, 2005.

1. David Coleman

David Coleman Supporting Actor

Jan 5, 2000
    When I say that I mean alot of film defects: cracks, pinholes, scratches, color fading or oversaturation of just plain worn?

Reason for asking is it seems to me that what i've been able to see that the studios have really upped the quality of film transfers (from theatrical releases) over the years. It's become important to them now to have a quality presentation.

Of course i've not seen every old transfer either...

So let me know if there are any recent bad transfers out there?

2. Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister Producer

Oct 26, 2001
  3. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Jul 19, 2002
    not only is the print abysmal (and far worse, and different, than the print used for the previous non-dvd master), but the transfer is also a mess because black levels are off the chart bad.
    every review i see of the disc compliments it for at least delivering 'healthy' black levels (even Robert Harris didn't seem to notice how bad it is), but when you compare it with the trailer that is on the same disc, you can see several scenes, for instance, where two characters are in suits of disticntly different hues in the same shot (one dark blue the other a black tux)and yet in the film print, both suits appear as detail-less black voids.

my vote for Warners worst transfer since Giant
  4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

May 16, 2001
    Patrick McCart
    Just as a measuring stick...

Great transfer from supposed great elements:
    Criterion's new "M" special edition
    Terminator 2: Extreme Edition
    Spider-Man 2 (2-disc widescreen)
    Gone with the Wind: 4-disc SE
    Smokey and the Bandit (Triple Feature remaster)
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Great transfer from mediocre elements:
    Duck Soup (Marx Bros. 6-disc set version)
    Sunrise: Fox Studio Classics

Mediocre transfer from supposed great elements:
    Mary Poppins: SE (why, oh why, did Disney have to overcompress and overfilter a Lowry Digital Images restoration?)

Mediocre transfer from mediocre elements:
    A Shot in the Dark: Pink Panther Collection remaster (No detail, soft print, lots of damage!)
    Top Secret! (did Paramount use the dupe negative?)
    All Quiet on the Western Front (Universal crammed a 130 min. film onto a single layer disc, despite it being grainy and scratchy... awful DVD)