What Was It I Saw??

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Adam Sanchez, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Hey all,

I am not sure where to put this post so if this area is incorrect, I apologize. This is about a display device, though not MY OWN.

Just something I saw the other day that it's been driving me nuts exactly WHAT I was looking at.

The other day I was at Circuit City and in the back they have the area for you to test speaker systems/receieves etc. They have a Monitor hooked up so you can watch the clips. The brand I am pretty sure was a Philips, probably about 37 inches and was a Plasma I would guess. The thing that got me was the image. I have never seen anything like it... I am not even sure I can accurate describe it. I can't even tell you if the image was GOOD or very very wrong. I saw 2 clips on the screen, I, Robot and Spider-Man 2 and both had the same characterists I'm about to mention. Note, there were other smaller Tvs in the wall around the demo area that all looked "Normal"

But it was that Philips that I couldn't take my eyes off of. The only way I can describe it is the movie images looked liked a live news broadcasts. The colors, movement, just everything looked... OFF to me. I don't even know how to say it any better but it just looked like some sort of live newscast.

I looked under and from what I can tell a normal DVD player eas hooked up, it was not an upconverting or anything. Everything appeared standard... except the images I saw.

Anyone know what I was looking at or what made the image look that way? I am very curious.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

You probably saw a set with Trimension DNM - it upconverts (in the time domain) film from 24 frames per second to 60 frames per second, adding extra frames that are motion interpolated - guessing what is between the frames and filling in the "missing" information.

You can experience this at home if you have an HTPC with the WinDVD 6 software DVD player - it has a Trimension DNM feature.

If you wanted to know what the Lord of the Rings trilogy looks like as a daytime soap, well now you can! [​IMG]

http://www.trimension.com/index.php?...ducts.html#DNM

http://www.trimension.com/index.php?...hitepaper.html

http://www.smorty71.com/2004/08/wind...nsion-dnm.html

3. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Yes! That is it, it does look like a damn Day time soap! That's a good description of it as any. I actually DO have WinDVD... so I am curious now. What is that feature called? I wanna turn it on for kicks.

4. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Interesting. I need to investigate.

Does it look retarded, or good?