what was I thinking?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Philip_G, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

since I work nights I tend to have a lot of free time at odd hours, so I thought to myself, HEY lets get a project car!
    so I did, not because I'm a particularly good mechanic or anything, so here it is, the engine is out and completely apart, soaking in some oven cleaner as I type, the rebuild kit is on the way, as is a porting template for the intake and exhaust ports (same effect as a bigger cam on a piston engine as I understand it) Next week I'll try to reassemble the engine if I can remember how and hope to god it runs.
    If you've never seen what the inside of a rotary engine looks like maybe this will be interesting?
    here's how a rotary works, my engine is a 13BT, it has two rotors

[​IMG]

also, the state of the garage pretty well reflects the state of my sanity. It's a complete mess now, oil, tranny fluid, and coolant EVERYWHERE, you can see the oil slick under the car. An entire bag of kitty litter still didn't contain it. I think the exxon valdez fucking ran aground in my garage.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

Great pictures..thanks for sharing. Keep us posted on your progress, as I'm interested in seeing how this turns out. I have a 1977 Chev 3/4 ton pickup that I've always wanted to rebuild and "spruce up". I'd like to get it into show condition if at all possible.

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Would probably be a LOT easier than this. More parts available, no electronics, and the ability to buy a pre built shortblock cheap all add up to ease, but probably more expense.
    I don't think I can do bodywork, so the car will probably have to stay in it's current condition for awhile, we'll see.
    I need to get the engine together and running, new exhaust, and new suspension all around and it should be a nice driver. I bought it with a blown coolant seal for 1500 bucks, it's a 1987 RX7 turbo BTW.
    it's tough to get help on a rotary if you get stuck, but any mechanic can help you with a chevy 350, I'd go for it if I were you, why not?

4. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

Once you rebuild it take a picture of all the parts that didn't get put back to use for us to see.

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

how about NO :b
    I just ported the wastegate on the turbo, and lucky me snapped off both bolts that hold the cover onto the turbo outlet. Nothing like 17 year old rusty crap to make your life difficult [​IMG]

some things actually will not go back on, the rotaries have an oil injection system that squirts engine oil into the rotor housing to lube the apex seals, engine oil is less than ideal for this so I'm removing the entire system and going to premix my gas with a more suitable oil for the job, it will be mixed better and leave MUCH less carbon in the engine, check out how nasty the rotors are, there's like a mm of carbon on them.. well was, before two shots of oven cleaner [​IMG]

seriously, I'll be fucking amazed if this thing starts.

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

As a devotee of the Chevrolet Corvair I admire your courage in taking on this project, and sympathize with your travails.

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I thought ripping apart the dishwasher was bad.
    Good Luck, I think you might need it

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the worst part about it are these little metal shavings all over the place, I had the bright idea to cut down a 14mm wrench to make it a thin wall with my dremel, now I have metal splinters all over my hands and they hurt like hell!

I'm over the worst of it now and looking forward to getting it back together and starting the first time, I'm 3/4 done now, stupid things like getting the flywheel off (destroyed it in the process) and getting the engine and transmission apart ate up a lot of time. I'd estimate I have about 30-40 hours in it at this point, another 20 at the very most and I'll be driving. I got the car running briefly after I got it home, it really is a blast to drive [​IMG]

9. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Phillip I know what you are going to go through. My Apex seal started leaking on my 88 RX7-GTU last year and I lost compression on the engine. It was either do a complete rebuild or sell the car. I rebuilt an engine on another RX-7 I owned previously with a friend and it was certainly a learning experience. Then again I sold my recent RX-7 due to my past experience. Make sure that you buy seals all the way around. Best of luck.

KyleS

By the way working on the body IMHO is a lot easier then working on an Engine rebuild. A little Sanding, Puddy, paint, & you are good to go.

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

the sad thing is the apex and corner seals were like new, the previous owner let her overheat and blew the coolant seal [​IMG]
    re-using the side seals, new corner and apex seals and springs all around, and new o rings, and oil pump chain, that's it.

I don't have the patience to do body work right, but maybe I'll learn. the car has a few nicks dings, and scratches. I could probably prep it and rent a booth or pay someone to spray it for me... then the car would be worth what I have in it..

11. Paul_Sjordal

Paul_Sjordal Supporting Actor

Pfaw, y'call that garage messy? Compared to an obsessive-compulsive's silverware drawer, maybe.