What's new

WHAT WAS COLGATE COMEDY HOUR? (1 Viewer)

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
wHAT WAS THIS SHOW? I AM TO YOUNG TO REMEMBER THIS SHOW AND HAVE NEVER SEEN IT IN RERUNS.IT SEEMS AS THOUGH MANY ENTERTAINERS POSSIBLY HOSTED THIS SHOW. WAS IT 15 MINUTE OR SO SKITS OR AN ACTUAL HOUR LONG COMEDY?.DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS COULD BE A POSSIBLE FUTURE TV ON DVD RELEASE?

marcSo

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info.I may take a chance and buy one of the vhs tapes for sale online.Don't know how well the quality of these tapes are I assume they are public domain copies but the prices on some of these tapes are next to nothing.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
If you like either of the comedy teams of "Abbott & Costello" or "Martin & Lewis," you should have very little difficulty finding episodes of "The Colgate Comedy Hour" on DVD from a number of the companies that specialize in public domain material; at one point, some episodes were even showing up on dollar DVDs. Episodes with some of the other revolving hosts of this show are a bit more difficult to find. As is the case with most PD releases, just don't expect top a/v quality. I can't ever recall seeing any official releases of this show, so the PD releases are all that we are probaly going to see of this variety series.

Of course this was also the show that introduced "The Honeymooners". I think all the "Lost Episodes" they now show are segments from this series.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
That's incorrect.

Colgate Comedy Hour was 100% an NBC series. The Honeymooners sketches started on a different network (Dumont) in a TV series that Jackie Gleason hosted called Cavalcade of Stars. Art Carney played Ed and Pert Kelton was Alice Kramden. They both appeared in other sketches too, such as "The Loudmouth", with Art playing meek, quiet little men bullied by noisy know-it-all Charlie Bratton (Gleason). Jackie also created Joe the Bartender, "The Bachelor", the perpetually drunk "Rum Dum", "The Pour Soul", "Rudy the Repairman" (with Art as his co-worker), and the super-rich Reginald Van Gleason III all on the Cavalcade series during it's 1 year on the air. I got to see some of those shows on second generation VHS copies in the 1980s.

Jackie Gleason made $1600 a week on the live Cavalcade show, but when CBS offered him $8000 / week he moved to there and in 1952 The Jackie Gleason Show premiered with Audrey Meadows replacing Pert Kelton as Alice. I remember Audrey playing one of Reggie's girlfriends in one of those sketches and a showgirl in another from that period. Art Carney played Reginald's butler at least once and other assorted roles (a shoe store owner, store manager, stockbroker, etc.)

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Actually, "Cavalcade of Stars" was on 3 years, not 1. The final 2 were with Gleason as star. It was his last year on "Cavalcade" (1951-52) that he started the "Honeymooners" sketches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks