What's new

What was "Al Bundy's" name? (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
A question for the Married with Children cognoscenti, a program I watched its first few years, but stopped after its novelty and its seeming freshness of daring wore off. I've always wondered whether the producers ever revealed the lead character's full name. If so, what was Al Bundy's full first name, and how do you know? (What was the context of the revelation of his name?)
Candidates:
Alan?/Allan?/Allen?
Albert?
Alberto?
Aldo?
Aldon?
Aldous?
Alec/Alex < Alexander?
Alexis?
Alfonse?
Alfonso?
Alfred?
Alfredo?
Alonzo?
Aloysius?
Alton?
Alvin?others?

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Courtesy of the IMDB and various fan sites...

The main characters:

Al Bundy
Margaret "Peggy" Wanker Bundy
Budrick Franklin Bundy
Kelly Bundy
Buck/Lucky Bundy

Marcy Rhoades D'Arcy
Jefferson D'Arcy

Steve Bartholomew Rhoades

The other characters:

Seven Wanker
Bob Rooney

These characters never had last names -

Griff
Amber
Officer Dan

And the infamous "Hispanic" reporter with the very long name -

Miranda Veracruz de la Jolla Cardenal

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
From the MWC FAQ at http://www.faqs.org/faqs/tv/married-w-c-faq/
Subject: 3.9. What name is "Al" short for?
On the show it has always been simply Al. One of the few names short
enough that Peggy can scream it out during sex.
It has been said that Ed O'Neill was on AOL and said Al was short for
Alfonz. But was it really Ed?
I really miss the show too. I want those DVDs (full season boxsets) ASAP!

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The first 3 years of Married..... was my favorite sitcom ever.
I stopped watching the show during Jefferson Darcys second season.

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
I remeber one episode where Peg called him Alowicious (sp)? Hercules Bundy. She was upset with him. I can't remember the exact episode though...

Elliott Willschick

Second Unit
Despite my horrible spelling of both names, my brother also remembers the episode. Repeats of Married with Children are on at something like 12:30 am so I never get to see it anymore :frowning:

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
There was a Saint Aloysius, noted for his holiness in tending to the sick (with a feast day of 21st June if you feel like celebrating) and Aloysius was the name of Sebastian's teddy bear in 'Brideshead Revisited'. However, I doubt if MWC would be making reference to either of these.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Andrew Markworthy wrote:
No, they certainly are not.
It's standard procedure for Americans to go by their first names---and not even their names, but nicknames (as monosyllabic as we can get 'em!). Many here are embarrassed to let their real, full first names be known, much less to use them on a regular basis. (It's an actual social phenomenon in modern-day America: "You can call me Ray. Or you can call me Jay. Or you . . .")
Everybody here wants to be a "regular guy". We even want our bosses and our politicians (like President Jimmy or President Bill) to be "regular guys".
Al Bundy represents---or is supposed to represent---the ultimate "regular guy". Therefore,---and this is the main reason I posed the question---it would de rigueur for him to have a long and embarrassing first name, which he would never use. The discrepancy between having a "hoity-toity fer'n-soundin'" first name and being the "slob" of a "regular guy" that Al Bundy is would work perfectly within American culture to bring about that comedic effect on a show like Married with Children.
Anyone remember "Archibald" Bunker? Or are you all too young?

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Apologies to anyone called Aloysius, who has a close relative/friend called Aloysius for what I'm about to say.

Rex, trust me, if you lived in Britain and were called Aloysius, you'd probably shorten it to Al.

Brad_V

Second Unit
The only other names mentioned I remember is Al being called "Al Hercules Bundy" by a dream wife in a dream sequence. I don't remember him ever being called "Hercules" otherwise. Can't recall any other first name but "Al."

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akstar777
Recent bookmarks