What warranty do you get if you DON'T buy from an "authorized E-tailer?"

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by MichaelDDD, Oct 22, 2003.

1. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    As above.

I've noticed some online retailers selling new receivers for substantially less than "authorized retailers."

What's the catch here?

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Low price for NO Warranty. If it breaks its up to you to fix it. I've found that if you negotiate reasonably enough locally you can get almost the same deal except you pay tax.

For instance a friend of mine wanted a 3802(which was just out then). Online price was $750 + shipping at the time. He negotiated locally and bought the 3802 for $850+ tax. For that he got a warranty and dealer support for the product and some piece of mind.

Is it worth it to you? That is your money and your call.

3. MichaelDDD

Mike
    No warranty at ALL? Not even the "basic one year" manufacturers' warranty?

Heck no! It's not worth it. Warranty = peace of mind.

Definitely not worth saving $100 over.

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Anything over $500 I would buy from authorized sources. gives me the peace of mind.

5. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Yogi, I agree with you. I've never bought high-dollar AV equipment online before, so I figured it would be in my best interest to ask.

Boy, am I glad I asked! Sheesh, no warranty PERIOD. Absolutely not worth $100. Now, a brand new $1K receiver for $500? Hmmm, maybe, assuming it came with a money back guarantee of no DOA.

6. Chad Anson

Chad Anson Second Unit

You'd be surprised at how many consumer rights that you have in spite of attempts by companies to disclaim them away. Depending on the situation, I think it's unlikely that you'd be left with no warranty. Of course, YMMV, you may have to deal with additional hassle, and this is not intended to be legal advice.

Many of the reputable "discount" online retailers stand behind their products and will honor the warranty themselves.

7. Mike Pollmann

Mike Pollmann Stunt Coordinator

I find the warranty-exclusion practice to be very infuriating. What makes it worse is that there's only one dealer in town that carries the high end lines of Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer. And of course, they're elitest snobs that hardly give you the time of day unless you walk in looking like you're loaded. I managed to negotiate them down $50 off a Denon AVR-2803. Oh boy, I can pay near retail, tax, and get crappy service on top of it! Thanks Denon!

So here I am, and I still haven't upgraded my receiver. I'm leaning toward an internet purchase with an extended warranty. In any case, this authorized dealer thing seems like glorified price fixing to me. On the aforementioned 2803, we're talking about a $200+ difference. It's even worse for a 3803.

- Mike

8. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

Yeah - I talked to Parasound and they'll even research where your unit was shipped to and if it's not a reasonable assumption that you purchased it from that dealer, they'll refuse your warranty.

I was contemplating purchasing a unit online and called them up and they explained their whole policy to me. It was like they went out of their way to make the warranty void. It's like the EXTREME opposite reaction / policy I got when I was dealing w/ SVS. I mean, even Sony will warranty your unit w/ an original receipt even w/ a different owner.

So bottom line - I didn't end up with a Parasound amp and will probably not be purchasing from them in the near future unless their policy becomes more lenient.

I mean, you definitely want to get a warranty for items that do have tendencies to fail (receivers,amps,televisions) vs units that are pretty stable like your speakers.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I actually prefer to buy my receiver at a local B&M because 1) I know they are authorized 2) I can take it to them to take care of any major problems and, 3) Depending on the problem, maybe get a loaner in the meantime (which you will almost certainly NOT get from an online dealer).

I think many things are OK to get at the lowest price from joesixpack.com, but I agree that with a receiver around $500 and up, you are best to go with an authorized dealer, online or not. To me it's not just which items may fail, but how much it would cost to buy another one. If it is a DVD player for $300, I wouldn't feel terrible if it died and I had to replace it a full value, but a $1500 receiver is a very different story...

10. Chris Hovanic

Chris Hovanic Supporting Actor

I have alwayse wondered about this as well...

How do the products get into the hands of unauthorized dealers in the first place? Seems that the manufactures will sell to anyone but as the consumers we can only purchase from some of them to get the warranty.

Someone please explain the logic to me?

11. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

A variety of ways Chris -

An actual dealer might have gone out of business so a person might have gotten a hold of a large quantity of the store's stock.

Or someone could get a deal from the repair factory on refurbed items.

It's just scenarios like that where if there's an opportunity to make money, people will take advantage of it.

12. Heath_E

Heath_E Stunt Coordinator

It doesn't seem right. It's their own fault if they can't control their distribution channel. What does it take to become authorized anyway? Money, guarantee to sell 10 million units per month, what?

13. MichaelDDD

Mike
    I agree; the policy is a load of crap. If you purchase a N.I.B. unit, then the factory warranty should be valid, regardless of who you purchase it from. [​IMG]

But as many have said, this is a $1K item we're talking about. I purchased one of those $79 DVD players for my son's room. It died four months later...I didn't care. He was probably 1/2 responsible for it's death, but that's why you buy cheap sh*t for the kids' room.

Nobody but me touches my AV equipment. Nobody. If I invest $1K in something, it better damn well be covered if something breaks during that first year or whatever time period.

14. John Robert

John Robert Stunt Coordinator

One way to get "online pricing" with full warranty is to buy refurbs or B stock from an authorized etailer. For instance, I have bought several Marantz pieces from accessories4less.com. If you check the mfr website, it usually lists these sources...

15. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

16. MichaelDDD

Mike
    Well, if they site says "new" then it's new. Anything else is false advertising. If an item is B Stock or Refurbed then you must sell it as such.

I won't buy B stock electronics unless I can physically check it out first. But that's just me.

17. Mike Pollmann

Mike Pollmann Stunt Coordinator

Despite what the manufacturers claim about refurbished items, changed serial numbers, etc. this isn't true. Take a look at Etronics. Everything they ship to you is brand new, in box. They're factory sealed and even contain warranty cards. The only thing that makes these people non-authorized is that they don't comply with Minimum Advertised Price policies. Yes, Denon (and others) require authorized dealers to all list items for the same exact price. So basically, it boils down to "If you want a warranty, you must pay full price (or near it)." I personally see this as price fixing.

It would not surprise me in the least if Etronics got their stock direcly from the manufacturers. The other possibility is that they are buying the overstock of another dealer.

18. HienD

HienD Stunt Coordinator

Price fixing is only a small part of it. I know that some of the online stores sell products for dealers cost or less. How can they offer prices that retailer can't even get it for. I'm thinking all the savings are from not having to get the manufaturers warranty. Cost to fix a product under warranty isn't cheap for the manufacturers. I wouldn't be suprised to see the warranty cost being a big part of the final price. Especially now with equipement not being built as good. You be surprised how many new equipment gets return. Just look at all the refurb stuff you can buy now a days.

19. Richard_B

Richard_B Stunt Coordinator

I have bought several things from etronics and everything has came in a factory sealed box with everything that should be in the box. Etronics lists all items as being new and I believe they are. They also offer extended warrenty purchases on their items. I would have no problem buying from them again.

20. Craig

Craig Second Unit

What incentive do the makers have to make sure only authorized dealers carry their equipment? They sell the equipment to a distributer, the distributer sells to an "unauthorized" dealer, and the maker refuses to honor the warranty anytime someone has a problem with the "unauthorized" equipment. In the long run the profit margin would look to be higher on the unauthorized gear.

Of course then we get to hear the pious statements from the manufacturer about supporting the "authorized" dealers at the same time the maker is shipping every freaking unit they can produce and really doesn't care who sells it. The word SCAM comes to mind.

In reality, they would have to honor the warranty (assuming the unit isn't stolen or reimported, i.e. gray market), but who's going to hire a lawyer and fight them over repairing a receiver or DVD player?