What's new

What Warner DVD sets would YOU like to see? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The King Vidor Signature Collection

- The Big Parade: Two-Disc Special Edition
- The Crowd
- Hallelujah
- Billy the Kid
- The Champ

The Al Jolson Signature Collection

- The Jazz Singer
- The Singing Fool
- Say It With Songs
- Sonny Boy
- Big Boy
- Mammy

The Dawn of Sound Collection

- Lights of New York: Take Him For a Ride Edition
- Hollywood Revue of 1929
- Show of Shows
- Sally
- Good News
- Madame X
- The Last of Mrs. Chayney
- Various fragments, excerpts, shorts, etc.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
what Marco said:

- Casablanca: 2-Disc SE
- The Maltese Falcon: 2-Disc SE restored-YES!
- High Sierra (Keepcase Reissue)
- They Drive By Night (Keepcase Reissue)
- To Have And Have Not (Keepcase/restoration)

- The Big Sleep: SE---YES!

- Dark Passage (Keepcase Reissue)
- Key Largo (Keepcase/restoration)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Some new ideas:

MGM- The Thalberg Years
Grand Hotel
A Night At The Opera
A Free Soul
Maytime
Mutiny On The Bounty - along with the TCM documentary Irving Thalberg- Hollywood's Prince

Howard Hughes at RKO
The Outlaw- a fully restored version
His Kind Of Woman
Second Chance
The Conqueror- with a documentary about those damn atom bomb tests and how they killed the film's stars
The French Line- uncensored, with the closeups of Jane Russell as she sings "Lookin' For Trouble"
plus the TCM documentary Howard Hughes- His Women and His Movies

Produced By David O. Selznick
Dinner At Eight
Little Women
King Kong SE
A Tale of Two Cities
What Price Hollywood?

Hal B. Wallis- The Warner Bros. Years
Casablanca SE
Sergeant York
The Man Who Came To Dinner
The Maltese Falcon SE
All This And Heaven, Too

The John Garfield Signature Collection
Four Daughters
Pride Of The Marines
The Postman Always Rings Twice
The Sea Wolf
Tortilla Flat

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Personally, I think WB is doing an outstanding job with their classics, and if there is a worthwhile title or package mentioned here, it is very likely either in the works or under consideration for the future.

There are also some ideas that have been tossed out here that will surely never come to pass, as they are of very limited interest, and could never be profitable for WB (or anyone else for that matter).

Meanwhile, there are several titles that have been listed in this thread that don't belong to Warner, or are not possible for release as suggested:

Warner could not include THE FUGITIVE KIND in a Brando collection as that is a United Artists film and now owned by SONY (MGM/UA)

Al Jolson never made a film called SONNY BOY. He sang the song to Davey Lee in THE SINGING FOOL. Davey Lee made a film thereafter called SONNY BOY, which may be a "lost film". In any case, Jolie ain't in it. :)

Warner doesn't own the "independent" Howard Hughes films. Universal has that package, and they are the only ones who could issue THE CONQUEROR. I'm fairly certain this applies to THE OUTLAW as well, although I'm not 100% on that title. It's dubious 'public domain' status probably precludes us ever seeing a proper version, whichever entity owns it. Sad.

I think this membership's fine collective brain-power would be much better served making such suggestions to studios like Fox or Universal or Sony, where there are clearly hundreds of worthwhile classics that could be profitable releases, and unlike WB, they don't seem to have folks on staff who are as familiar with the sales potential within their respective libraries.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
Wuthering Heights (1939) is owned by Warners? If so then it must be released!!! The old HBO version is VERY Dated. Also Bonnie and clyde should get a 2-Disc SE in the next Gangsters Boxset.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Many of the "A" list titles I want (save one listed below) have already been mentioned so I will put in a pitch for my hope that the long range plans at Warners include some of their popular "B" series titles. They've already indicated the Bowery Boys are coming and the RKO Tarzans are on the radar. If sales warrant I would most like to see:

The Saint/Falcon series (all the Saints were released by Warner in very nice VHS editions)

Additionally, the Perry Mason, Torchy Blane, and Hildegarde Withers films would all be must buys for me although I concede they're more obscure even if they all play on TCM on a fairly regular basis.

My A-list request:

Powell/Loy Signature Collection

Manhattan Melodrama
Love Crazy
I Love You Again
Double Wedding
Evelyn Prentice

Very well put Roger (regarding Fox and Sony). I do have one minor disagreement with you though. I do think it is worthwhile to bring potential titles to Warners' attention if only because it's been proven that Warners listens to their consumers. Case in point: "Storm Warning". Several years ago Warners said this was too obscure to release. After consumers (particularly those at HTF) began requesting this title Warners reacted by putting it on the schedule.

That's why I think it is important that the membership not be shy about saying I want "X" even if some would consider them to be not high profile enough. The Bowery Boys are considered lowbrow entertainment but those titles are among the most active in the bootleg market (along with B Westerns and Charlie Chan) so it's obvious that there is a sizable fan base out there. Hence the reason Warners is bringing them out starting next year.

Steve

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I don't get people suggesting titles already released. Dinner at Eight, A Night at the Opera, Grand Hotel and Mutiny on the Bounty have been put out on the market recently and do not need to be revisited.
In the other hand there are tons of A movies in the WB library that are on the wait list to get a chance on dvd.
Maybe that's why WB sometimes repackage some titles and include them in new box sets, because they know some people will get them anyway.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

I like that one except the Two-Disc SE of "Cool Hand Luke" would need to be substituted in there. I'd buy a CHL SE in an instant.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Wuthering Heights is owned by The Samuel Goldwyn Company! MGM should still have the rights to release it.

Also, one of the good points of Warner's better box sets are most of the films being newly released or new editions. I don't see the point in repackaging stuff like Casablanca: SE and High Sierra since they're already on DVD. I mean, who doesn't already have Casablanca: SE? There's no real point in repackaging a bunch of films that have been out for a while in editions that are fine until the next format comes. That's why I think WB was being smart by making the Errol Flynn set contain only unreleased films... same thing for the John Wayne Legendary Heroes set (unlike the rehash "Signature" set). The James Dean set is at least justified since it really is a complete collection.

MikeRR

Agent
I'd like to see a Nicholas Ray set:
- They Live By Night
- A Woman's Secret
- Born to Be Bad
- The Lusty Men
- On Dangerous Ground

I'd also like to see more eclectic sets such as the excellent Contrversial Classics set, but I can't think of any suggestions at the moment.

Keep up the great work, WB!

FrancisP

Screenwriter
How about a James Garner boxset:

Boys' Night Out
Wheelers Dealers
Grand Prix
36 Hours
Marlowe
They Only Kill Their Masters

The majority of these are part of the MGM library that Warner owns.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Katharine Hepburn at RKO
- A Bill of Divorcement
- Christopher Strong
- Morning Glory
- Spitfire
- The Little Minister
- Break of Hearts
- Sylvia Scarlett
- Mary of Scotland
- A Woman Rebels
- Quality Street
I hope the success of the three-Hepburn-titled Classic Comedies Collection will encourage the release of more of her movies.

Bette Davis
The list is huge! There is so much great Bette Davis stuff that's unreleased!

Joan Crawford
- a Metro Box (The Flapper)
- a Warners Box (The Slapper)

Armin Jager

Stunt Coordinator
The two most obvious collections for me would be the often mentioned Silent Film Collection with e.g. some Vidor's and the unfortunately by nobody mentioned Hedy Lamarr Collection.
If a box advertised along the lines of "the most beautiful actress ever" doesn't sell, what does? Warners should control all films between 1939 and 1945 and could produce a nice box with, let's say BOOM TOWN, COME LIVE WITH ME, H.M. PULHAM ESQ., TORTILLA FLAT and EXPERIMENT PERILOUS. Maybe they could even save ALGIERS from public domain status.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
I think that in addition to the Crawford and Harlow boxsets coming, there should be SEPARATE boxsets of each lady with Clark Gable since each of these two made at least five or more films with him. Example:

Harlow/Gable:

-The Secret Six (1931)
-Red Dust (1932)
-Hold Your Man (1933)
-China Seas (1935)
-Wife vs. Secretary (1936)
-Saratoga (1937)

Saratoga is Harlow's final film (she didn't live to complete it) and has an interesting history behind it. All of Harlow's other films (minus those that've already been released!) can then be placed in her own signature collection.

...Now repeat this pattern for Crawford/Gable as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks