1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

What Vintage War Series Left to be Released on DVD?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnHopper, Dec 7, 2017 at 4:21 AM.

1. JohnHopper

JohnHopper Stunt Coordinator

John Hopper
    Amongst the remaining 'vintage' war series that are left to be released on DVD, which ones do you really wish to get?

Find my selection:
    Twelve O’Clock High
    Blue Light
    Garrison’s Gorillas

Darby67 and Flashgear like this.
  2. Sky King

Sky King Stunt Coordinator

John
    Easy choice for me...Twelve O'Clock High.

Darby67, MartinP. and Flashgear like this.
  3. 3 Dec 7, 2017 at 6:09 AM
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 8:17 AM
    Flashgear

Flashgear Supporting Actor

Randall
    Silent Service, syndicated 78 eps., 30m, 1956 - 58...dramatic anthology about U.S. submarines in WW2 and Korea, produced by a US Navy retired admiral and mostly filmed aboard the USS Sawfish, a sub that did 10 war patrols against Japan and that was also seen in the season 3 Perry Mason episode "Case of the Slandered Submarine". Some episodes can be seen on Youtube. A very good and authentic show.

Convoy NBC 13 episodes 30m, 1965...drama series about WW2 Atlantic convoys battling the U boat menace...John Gavin as the US Navy Commander and John Larch as the Merchant Seaman Captain...with Linden Chiles and James Callahan in support...

Mr. Roberts NBC 26 episodes 30m 1965 - 66...comedy / drama inspired by the great 1955 feature film, and starring Roger Smith and Richard X. Slattery...a worthy television takeoff.

Broadside ABC 26 episodes 30m 1964 - 65...sitcom that reminds you of McHale's Navy in it's WW2 SW Pacific island setting... but not as good as that show...Kathy Nolan leads a bunch of sexy WAVEs in comedic conflict with their commanding officer played by the great Edward Andrews. Some episodes can be seen on Youtube.

Operation Petticoat ABC 26 (?) 30m episodes 1977 - 78, maybe 35 if previously unaired new episodes were burned off in summer 1979...another sitcom inspired by a well regarded feature film...John Astin in the Cary Grant role...and a fine selection of choice cheesecake, including Jamie Lee Curtis and Melinda Naud among the delectable nurses aboard the pink submarine...second season was a quick and merciful cancellation with nearly a new cast and after only 4 episodes...Robert Hogan, Randolph Mantooth and Joanne Pflug going down with the ship...

I want the absolute best of the American network War dramas, Combat!, remastered in it's entirety and not time sped...

4. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    A remastered release for Combat! would top my list. And I've never seen an episode, but I'd love to check out Silent Service.

Do documentaries count? If so, I'd love to see G.I. Diary finally on DVD. It's a 1970's era series about WWII that was narrated by Lloyd Bridges.

5. morasp

morasp Stunt Coordinator

steve
    And complete episodes.

6. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    The individual sets of Combat! they used to sell had the first four seasons with unrestored and time-compressed episodes running 46 minutes. Only season 5 (in color) had a picture restoration and run 50 minutes: oddly enough, the final season had many flat scripts and the absence of the monochrome photo removed the gritty/documentary atmosphere of the series. During that season, the same crew shot back-to-back Garrison's Gorillas.

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  7. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

Anyone know much about a series called "Combat Sergeant," a little half-hour series that ABC ran during the summer of 1956? Anyone seen an episode? Probably a pretty low-budget affair, I'm assuming.

8. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Does anybody remember the Fox tv version of "the Dirty Dozen?" It was short lived of course. I think it stared Ben Murphy. And when the Fox Network started out in the mid eighties, it was one of their early tries.

James

9. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    Ensign O'Toole with Dean Jones.

Flashgear, Darby67 and JamesSmith like this.
  10. MartinP.

MartinP. Stunt Coordinator

Martin
    Easy for me, too: Twelve O'Clock High.

With the short run series Baa Baa Black Sheep aka The Black Sheep Squadron having done well as a release, for example, you would think FOX could license this out if they don't want to do it themselves, for cryin' out loud.

11. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Would love to hear more about this?
    James

Darby67 likes this.
  12. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    In Canada, there was a documentary series that aired in the '70s, titled THE WAR YEARS. There were two sets of episodes, the first covering 1914-1918 for the first World War, and the second set of episodes spanning 1939-1945 for World War 2. I'd love to see these again!

CHEERS! :)

Darby67, LeoA and Flashgear like this.
  13. Silverking

Silverking Stunt Coordinator

Chris Street
    Here in the UK we had a lot of WW2 series in the 70's & 80's, I don't think they made it to the US,
    Most are available on disc from AmazonUK.

The two I would most recommend would be 'Secret Army' about the Belgian resistance, more drama than action but one of the best series ever made by the BBC, & 'Colditz' story of the infamous German prison camp, Starred Davis McCallum & Robert Wagner(,with Dan O'Herilihy in later episodes) so a lot of American interest., again dramatic rather than action but some really powerful episodes.

Darby67, Flashgear and westumulka like this.
  14. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

I would love to have Twelve O' Clock High and Garrison’s Gorillas but considering the studios that own them both will most likely never happen.

15. JohnHopper

John Hopper
    Just for the fun.

16. ChrisALM

ChrisALM Supporting Actor

Chris
    I only have vague memories of this show, but remember liking it. As I remember, it is not a WWII wartime show, but a service related comedy. I think it was set in the current time period in which it was made (early 60s).

I came across the opening credits on You Tube some time ago, and remembered them instantly. In searching ebay for anything related to the show, I found a book entitled, "Ensign O'Toole and Me". I don't know if there is a connection there, but books have often been the starting point for films, so who knows.

Another thing I found on ebay was a toy version set of the signaling device used on the opening of the show. I had completely forgotten I had a set of these, but I remembered them when I saw them.

I would certainly pick up a DVD release of this show, but at this point it's probably one of the most unlikely releases to happen. I have never seen this again since its original run.

17. 17 Dec 8, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    Bob Gu

Bob Gu Supporting Actor

Bob Gudera
    ENSIGN O'TOOLE was shown on Get.TV in 2016 and looked in fine shape. It was produced by Four Star, so I guess it is owned by Fox.

Get.TV will be showing a nine episode ENSIGN O'TOOLE marathon on January 22, 2018 starting at 12AM EST. They will be showing the episodes in 40 minute time slots so they should be unedited.

ChrisALM, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  18. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    What's driving me crazy at the moment, is there literally seems to be absolutely NOTHING online in reference to the above series! IMDB does list a series with the same name covering 1939 - 1945, but it's from 1993, and definitely not the same narrator that's on the much earlier series with the same title!

Do any fellow Canucks remember ANYTHING about the '70s era THE WAR YEARS series, such as the name of the narrator? I do recall he had a British accent, and a fairly deep voice. This series also aired on the Global Television Network, as I recall.

19. MartinP.

MartinP. Stunt Coordinator

Martin

Additional info:

Just as I learned about this series on Get-TV, a week later it ended and I hoped it would return at some point. It was one season of 30 episodes, contemporary, and aired in 1962-63.

I had looked it up online because I'd been watching some episodes of What's My Line? and in several of them it was talked about that Bennett Cerf's publishing company had the number one book on the best seller list, titled "All the Ships at Sea" by William Lederer and I discovered this series was based on that book and another one by the same author called "Ensign O'Toole and Me." The author, William Lederer, served as a consultant on the series.

What Get-TV says about the series:

ENSIGN O'TOOLE

Dean Jones stars in the titular role, as a fun-loving officer whose shenanigans bring levity to the battleship Appleby, while drawing the ire of Lt. St. John (Jack Mullaney). The series also stars Jack Albertson, Harvey Lembeck, Bob Sorrells, Jay C Flippen, Ken Berry and Beau Bridges in his first major TV role.

Here are the episodes being aired.
    (The synopses are from wikipedia.)

ADJUST FOR YOUR OWN TIME ZONE.
    For example, PST they start on Sunday, Jan. 21 at 9pm.

Monday, Jan 22 12:00am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    10-21-62 | Operation: Jinx
    Soupy Sales guest stars as Seaman Jerome J. Johnson. Chief Nelson warns of trouble because Johnson is believed to be a bad-luck omen.

Monday, Jan 22 12:40am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    11-18-62 | Operation: Mess
    Harry Morgan guest stars. O'Toole is puzzled why the crew is grumbling about the food when Charlie was previously known as a superior chef. Ken Berry's character refers to O'Toole's first name as Terence. (I GUESS THAT'S BETTER
    THAN "PLENTY".)

Monday, Jan 22 1:20am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    12-9-62 | Operation: Potomac
    In this episode, with guest star Richard Eastham, O'Toole tries to determine why someone sent him a dress while the ship is in port near Washington, D.C. The unsolicited gift inspired lots of ribbing from his fellow crew members.

Monday, Jan 22 2:00am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    12-30-62 | Operation: Swindle
    Rosemary De Camp guest stars as a Southern belle who strips Chief Nelson of his bank book.

Monday, Jan 22 2:40am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    1-27-63 | Operation: Royalty
    O'Toole invites Prince Pussik of Tiboria, who is also his country's Grand Admiral of the Navy,
    aboard the Appleby but he soon regrets it- the visitor loves to give orders, he's only 12 years old.

Monday, Jan 22 3:20am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    3-10-63 | Operation: Re-Enlist
    "Operation: Re-Enlist" is under way aboard the Appleby, and O'Toole's been handed a tough assignment - improve Commander Stoner's image with the crew.

Monday, Jan 22 4:00am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    4-7-63 | Operation: Physical
    A conversation between O'Toole and St. John reveals that the two officers are twenty-four years of age. O'Toole remarks that St. John wouldn't like to be in the position of Lieutenant Commander Virgil Stoner, commanding junior officers half his age. St. John jokes that he wouldn't like that either, "who wants to be on the ship with a bunch of twelve-year old officers?" The episode later features a short cameo by Gary Crosby, playing a friend of O'Toole's masquerading as a doctor.

Monday, Jan 22 4:40am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    4-28-63 | Operation: Contest
    The crew is quarantined, and to pass the time profitably they try writing jingles for some contest prize money.

Monday, Jan 22 5:20am ET
    Ensign O'Toole
    5-5-63 | Operation: Geisha
    In the final episode of the series, Jack Carter is a con man who must return money to an irate victim. He and a partner open a reverse geisha house.

WHAT IS A "REVERSE GEISHA HOUSE"?

20. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Further online searches have STILL borne NO fruit, whatsoever! It's as though all traces of the above series' existence have been wiped off the face of the Earth!

Perhaps it might take a search of late '70s/'80s Canadian TV Guides to dig anything up in regards to THE WAR YEARS two series (1914-1918; and 1939-1945). If I recall correctly, the 1 hour episodes usually aired on Global between 10-11PM, Thursday nights. It would be the last show my brother and I watched before my bedtime during those early adolescent years.