What video switcher does everyone use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnE, Aug 25, 2002.

1. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I've got to the point I need to look into getting a video switcher or something. With my dvd player, Xbox, GCN, Dreamcast, and vcr I'm just running out of options. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks

2. Travis Kolesar

Travis Kolesar Second Unit

I'm just using a $20 Radio Shack 4 in/1 out switcher for all my consoles except my Xbox, but I'm running the signal from the switcher into my receiver where I have alot more video inputs available for things like VCR, DVD player, cable box, etc. Still, a switcher like that would give you enough extra connections that you wouldn't have to be unplugging things. Are you using svid or composite connections for all your sources?
    If you don't have a HT receiver, that's always a good option too. [​IMG]

3. BrianB

BrianB Producer

I'm just using a Target "4-in-1" switcher that supports SVideo. It cost about $25 a month or two ago.

I have a DC, N64, NES & Xbox hooked up to that, with the sound being routed to the receiver, and the video straight to the TV. I've got my DVD player's video output hooked straight to a second input on the TV.

Of course, that leaves no space for my BookPC, which is currently sitting unplugged.

4. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I use a combination of a receiver with s-video inputs and a Sima auto-switcher with 4 inputs. I have 4 devices hooked into my receiver which then uses one of the Sima's 4 inputs while the other three go to 3 other devices. I like having everything switchable using just the remote. Too many things hooked into a TV with only 2 inputs.

5. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

I use the Pelican switcher simply because it has labels for each of my systems (PS2, X-Box, DC and PS1). [​IMG]

6. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i have a cable, bought from best buy. on one end is svideo connector, plugged into the tv. on the other end, it can be plugged to either xbox, ps2 or gamecube. i dont have xbox, but i have ps2 and gcube. and i only turn one console at a time. it works just fine without a switcher.

7. Scott Falkler

Scott Falkler Second Unit

I use a nice Yamaha A/V switcher. It's kind of like a preamp, it has a remote, but it uses the same IR that my RX-V2095 does, so I have to switch it manually. I have my games and turntable hooked up to it, then cables from it to an input on my reciever. It has tons of inputs, and I got it used for $65. I've never seen one like it, but I am looking...

8. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

I have an interac switcher from toys r'us. the thing has s-video switching but it doesn't support moderately decent s-video cables(they're too fat to fit into the plug). but it switches five inputs and has pre-made labels. if you don't need s-video i'd check it out. $30 can.

9. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll be out looking for a switcher my next day off.[​IMG]

10. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

I have a JVC JX-S111 [​IMG] and a cheapo optical switchbox from Best Buy. From most reviews, the switchbox is overpriced, but I liked the sturdy component-like feel to it.
    -Dave

11. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I have the same JVC switchbox and a toslink optical switcher from Radio shack. I like both of them - the Radio shack switcher was a little nicer than the cheaper one from Recoton.

I would get rid of both in a minute if I could find a switcher that does component & optical for under $200. Remote control capable preferred. until then, these will work.

12. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Here's a pretty cool looking switcher from Radio Shack. It has S-Video inputs, Composite, AND TOS link inputs/outputs for each selection, for about $100. Not bad.
    Radio Shack

13. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

14. Brian Merkel

Brian Merkel Auditioning

Stay away from the Radio Shack $100 A/V switch!

I just bought one of the Radio Shack model 15-1987 A/V switches - S-Video, remote control, optical, all for $100. Too good to be true? You bet. This piece of crap degrades the S-Video signal so badly that it looks significantly worse than composite.

It's going back as soon as I find a replacement.

15. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I'm currently using a Radio Shack 'Composite' switch box w/component cables (no signal loss that I can tell) and the Radio Shack 4-Way Optical Switch box.

First Switch box that supports 3+ Component Inputs with equal amounts of Optical Inputs gets my dollar (remote would be a bonus).

16. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

17. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

Well Tuesday I may be forking out for the HDTV 4x1 Component Video Switcher at Inday, I'll let you know how it works out!

18. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Does that have active or passive switching?

-Dave

19. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

- Very Wideband. Greater then 230MHz.
    I would imagine it is active. I'm not too clear on why you would want passive, doing a search for 'component and switch and box and passive' doesn't really help out [​IMG]
    Is it signal thing? With the remote?

20. Tim Hess

Tim Hess Second Unit

I recieved my Inday HDTV 4x1 Component Video Switcher Model: RGB4X-R without the remote (as I have a prontoNeo and can use the IR codes already for Prontos). Good build quality (no power switch!!) and I noticed a slight boost in image quality over my Radio Shack composite switcher. Assuming it was my brain wanting to see an improvement after spending $200 on a switch box, I did a blind test on my girlfriend. The only comment she had was that the PS2 image quality looked 'better than before'.
    To me it is a marginal improvement, but as 720/1081 Xbox games hit the shelves (and they are coming) it will be nice to know I have the bandwidth.