what video in do i use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Danny B, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Danny B

Danny B Extra

Hi,

im new at this and just bought a LCD projector and have a few questions.

1.there is a S video and a RGB plug,what do i use for connecting my DVD for best picture,i was told to use RGB but then somebody else told me that this RGB is for connecting for computers only...! so witch one do i connect ?(would the DVD work if i got a RGB connected to it with a rgb-out to component-in on the dvd?),NOTE:the projector doesnt have components out,so i need a plug does goes from RGB to component,where can i get something like that?

2.For a LCD projector,should i get a scaler or line doubler to improve the picture,or should i get a progressive DVD player?(does that do the same thing as a scaler or line doubler)? i have a standard interlaced dvd at the moment,will a progressive help much picture quality wise?

Thanks for any info given...i just wanna get the best picture i can

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

You'll use the s-video input for now. The RGB input, most likely, will not accept the component signal from a DVD player.

The next step up is to avoid usage of the projector's internal scaler by inputting an RGB signal which is exactly the pixel resolution of the LCD panel. On many projectors, but sadly not all, doing so lets you bypass the relatively low grade scaler in the projector. A Home Theater PC is an excellent method of supplying the requisite resolution RGB signal. An alternative is a video scaler with adjustable resolution (or fixed at exactly your LCD's panel resolution), but good quality scalers will run more than a HTPC.

Hook up the S-video and enjoy your new acquisition for a while. You deserve it. Go looking for the next level later.

3. Danny B

Danny B Extra

Thanks for the reply,

Ill use the S-video for now and read/learn about the scalers,doublers,progressive scan ect,and try to figure out witch way to go later on for an improvement in picture.

Thanks again for your help.