What's new

What video display is better for game LCD or DLP both HDTV? (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
See title for my question. I can only purchase a 40-42 inch display due to space constraints in my apartment. Thanks.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
CRT is superior to both DLP and LCD for gaming, though it will be difficult finding a CRT over 36".. I would certainly choose DLP over LCD for gaming in either case, as LCD's are not great for displaying dark games and do not have a fast response time.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Thank, Alon, but I am afraid now to buy a DLP, which needs to have its lamp replacement every two years at a tune of, in some cases, $500, and not to mention a possible labor cost.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
CRT and non rear projection LCD's dont require bulb replacement. Although, the backlights can burn out on an LCD but they are usually good for 50,000 hours or so, making it a non-issue. I would look into a 40" LCD just look for a low response time. I would also try to get a 1080p native set. Sharp Aquos line is very good. I have a 37" Westinghouse 1080p native display that im very happy with for gaming.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
For gaming, a CRT may still be the best, depending on your gaming habits.

The reason is, that various games may have various resolutions and DLP as well as LCD screens are only *good* at their native resolution.

If a game cannot be set to the native resolution of your screen, you're forced to play at another setting. CRT's can do that without (much) loss of PQ.

Cees

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Cees,

I play mostly RPG on my current HD Toshiba RPTV, which is getting old. It is a good TV for gaming, but I want to buy a better HDTV so that I can pass my current TV to my daughter (she lives with her mom).

Btw, I have yet to see a HD CRT with a 40-42" screen, which is the type of screen size I want.

I understand the dilemma about CRT being the best for video games, but CRT units are bulky, heavy, and unattractive at this point in time. Besides, I live in a very small apartment, and I want to see if I can get something which fits in to my apartment and have some room to spare. My current 40" Tosh HDTV takes up lots of space, and I would like to optimize the room space with my next TV.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, I my last CRT (21") was acquired for the reasons given above (add multimedia purposes), but I agree that a larger CRT like the size you want to buy would be a nuissance, if it exists at all.

My arguments are less important already, BTW, because most modern games have various video-settings, including most common LCD and CRT resolutions.

LCD (and TFT) tend to be a bit "slow", and I wonder how good DLP is in that respect. I have no experience with it for gaming.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks