What vampire/Dracula film is this?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by ScottR, May 12, 2003.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

When I was around four years old I saw this creepy vampire movie at the drive-in...it was very gothic. The only scene I vividly remember is a man and woman sitting in this creepy estate room drinking blood out of wine glasses. This has been bothering me for years. What film is this? This would have been around 1979.

2. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

If it was 1979, there's a good chance it was the John Badham version of Dracula (with Frank Langella as the bloodsucker). I haven't seen it in many a full moon, but I figure it's a good guess.

3. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Vampyres has a scene like that. It's out from Anchor Bay. It's gothic, but modern/70s.

4. James Phillips

James Phillips Stunt Coordinator

It sounds like it could be the Midnight Mess story from The Vault of Horror (1973).

5. BillyH

BillyH Stunt Coordinator

Yea, I think Scott is right, the Frank Langella movie. Also starred Kate Nellegan and Sir Lawrence Olivia(SP?). In my opinion, the greatest of all Drac flicks, though I don't remember the scene you described. It is available as a cheap DVD(usually 7 or 8 bucks), but be forewarned, it is only letterboxed, not anamorphic; and the color truly sucks, almost black and white. My 15 year old VHS copy off TV has a better color. I truly wish a restored version would become available as it is one of my old time favorites. Despite the picture limitations, it is still worth a buy, just because it is so cool. If you do decide to purchase, hope its the one you remember, if not; its still a great watch. Its erie as Hell. Have fun.

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden

8. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

9. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    Don't feel too bad. You can tell by the "last edited" line at the bottom of my previous post that I made a typo, too. [​IMG]

Regards,

10. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

The muted color on the DRACULA DVD was a deliberate choice by the director. It wasn't originally released that way in theaters or on VHS as you state. This colorless version debuted on laserdisc and was carried over to DVD.

Hopefully, when Universal gets around to re-issuing this one (hopefully with lots of extras) the original color will be restored.

I don't think the film being asked about is DRACULA. It could be lots of things; tons of Euro horror was in re-issue on the drive in circuit at the time.

11. BillyH

BillyH Stunt Coordinator

Steve, Thanks for the info, thats interesting. Also, for all the rest, I promise to work on my spelling. If I must go to my room, do I need to be alone or do I get to chose my playmate? Have a good day guys.