What value is a OSD...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Don Barduca, Aug 14, 2003.

1. Don Barduca

Don Barduca Stunt Coordinator

What value is an OSD beyond initial setup? Most receivers have it now but I don't see the big deal. I believe having volume or something flash on top of your movie when you are trying to watch it simply because you turned up or down the volume would be annoying.

What other uses does it accomplish or what other conveniences does it bestow?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    OSD does not usually pop in over a movie, unless you are feeding all video through your receiver, which I do not. I only see the OSD when I select the input on the TV to see it, because I DON'T want it popping up on the screen...

OSD is FAR more useful than trying to navigate menus via the front display on the receiver, but aside from setup and calibration, I rarely use mine.

My previous receiver could not be setup without OSD, there were no front panel menu options.

3. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

The lack of OSD might actually be an advantage.A few years ago before OSD was the standard that it is today, a few mfg's did use an excuse that OSD was an inherant source of audio distortion. Weather this was a ligitimate complaint or not I don't know. Technology moves forward and maybe all the bugs that existed then don't exist today. Since most do use this convenience theres a good chance that OSD has no impact on audio. My receiver does not have this feature and I really do feel priviledged.

4. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I agree with John, OSD is useful for initial setup and occasional tweaking. Other than that, passing video through a receiver just adds one more connection to your video cable path.

Pete