What type speaker wire for Earthquake Cinenova Grande

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Alan Pummill, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I was asking the "high end" audio/video store where I recently purchased my Magnepan MG1.6/QR speakers from to help me decide what type of wires to buy to biwire my new maggies. The first question they asked was what kind of amp I was using. I told them I had the Cinenova, and they didn't have any experience with that amp. Said that the amp was more important to match up speaker wires with than the speaker.

Do any of you have any input or advice on this subject....thanks for your help!!

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm using some monster 12-g - works fine. it's supposed to be for car-audio, but whatever....

bottom line though - just choose a decent quality thick-gauged wire and you'll be fine. i definitely wouldn't go any lower then 12g if you can help it.

3. Alan Pummill

Thanks Ted, that is also what I am currently using. But I want to BIWIE with a better quality wire.

Thanks anyway!! [​IMG]

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Any 12G OFC wire will do the job, IMHO.

5. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I don't think it's a real big consideration Alan. If the speaker had a real low impedance drop in the upper frequencies (like some ML's) and if your speaker/amplifier distances were very long (let's say >25 feet but then I'd have argued that monoblocks made more sense) then I'd suggest you search out a lower inductance speaker cable. None of those scenarios applies here. So certainly a 12 gauge, give or take, will do the job without any sonic degradation.
    I did run across the following link: http://members.ispwest.com/edgrochowski/article1.htm where someone was mucking around with their 1.6's that you might find of interest.

Your greatest challenges I think are going to have to do with speaker placement and investigating some rear room treatments. Nice speakers btw.

7. Alan Pummill

Thanks Chu, interesting link...I may give that a try!!

8. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

After reading all the speaker wire info over at audiholics.com. I choose to order the Sound King 12G wire from partsexpress. I have a set of $2K AudioTruth cables for my 2-ch system (I got them used for $200), but I really don't hear a difference between that and the 12g Monster original they replaced. I won't buy Monster Cable products anymore b/c I think Noel Lee (CEO/owner) is a deadbeat and doesn't deserve to make money off of me. He tried to screw over my friends (I used to work at this shop) who did a $25K system in one of his many vehicles. Their shop is NOT the only shop that he's done this to.