What type (size) of wire do u use with your main speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ClaudeL, Apr 16, 2002.

1. ClaudeL

ClaudeL Stunt Coordinator

Just wondering... I have a pair of Monitor 9 from Paradigm and I would like to upgrade to the Reference series. But for now, I dont have rear speakers. Normally, rear bookshelf speakers doesnt have more than 100-120W rms capable output. Is a 14 gauge wire engought for that case? Can a 12 or 14 gauge wire make a difference in the power handling or the sound quality? :
    of 100W rms speakers??
    of 150W rms speakers??
    of >150W rms speakers??
    I dont know too much about electronics its why im ask u this stupid question! lol! [​IMG]

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

I use custom made, 5ga, platinium coated, oxygen free, terror cable that cost me $350.00 per foot. This gets rather expensive as I also employ the "S-Standard" of laying the cable on the ground to increase the mid-bass response. It wouldn't be that bad, but when you factor in the cost of shipping the cable to Haiti to have it prayed over by a Santarian Priestess ... Well ...It starts to get alittle steep.

Kidding. I use Home Depot 12ga all the way around.

--Steve

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Short Answer: 12 ga all around

Long Answer: a long run of speaker wire will roll off the high frequencies a bit. A thicker wire reduces, but does not eliminate the effect.

Because of this, some speaker sites (not wire sites) recommend the following gauge based on run-length:

1-10 ft: 16 ga

11-20 ft: 14 ga

20+ ft: 12 ga

So you see, they recommend THICKER wire for the rears.

Real World: you can get away with the thinner wire for the rears of a DVD based movie system. The rear sounds are very sparse compared to the fronts.

But if you are heading towards 5-channel music or some such, I would not compromise.

4. Matt Meyer

Matt Meyer Stunt Coordinator

Do you have the number of that Santarian Priestess? I have some unruly room harmonics that I want exersised.[​IMG]
    Matt

5. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Steve,

that is some funny sh*** man, I was laughing so hard I woke up my workmate.

I also use Home Depot 12ga all the way around.

6. Nate Nelson

Nate Nelson Stunt Coordinator

I use some 18ga my dad had lyin' around the house. The longest stretch is probably 30ft? If I had something a little higher end (currently Klipsch quintets w/SC-1 center) I would like to get wire that could handle the speakers but as of now, I think it sounds fine and can't imagine better wire really helping?

7. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

That was classic Steve!! At first you had me going then I laughed so hard all my co-workers branded me the office weirdo, lol
    [​IMG]
    I use custom made, 5ga, platinium coated, oxygen free, terror cable that cost me $350.00 per foot. This gets rather expensive as I also employ the "S-Standard" of laying the cable on the ground to increase the mid-bass response. It wouldn't be that bad, but when you factor in the cost of shipping the cable to Haiti to have it prayed over by a Santarian Priestess ... Well ...It starts to get alittle steep.
    Kidding. I use Home Depot 12ga all the way around.
    --Steve

8. Alan Wild

Alan Wild Stunt Coordinator

I have Paradigm Studio 100's and I've bi-wired them using IXOS 6006 11AWG cable for the woofers and IXOS 6003 13AWG (in white/grey) for the tweeters.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I did it because I thought the cable was reasonable priced (at Accessories4less) and looks really cool.
    I'm not going to get into the debate about whether or not it sounds better. I certainly think it sounds every bit is good as Home Depot wire (if not better) and looks a heck of a lot better, IMHO. [​IMG]
    -Alan

9. ClaudeL

ClaudeL Stunt Coordinator

LOL! Steve! [​IMG]
    Thank you all! So as I can see, 12 or 14 ga wires doesnt make too much difference in sound... right?

10. Randy_Ro

Randy_Ro Auditioning

Steve,

Thanks for the laugh....that was the funniest thing I've read all day!

RR

11. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

[​IMG] Glad you all liked it. Once in awhile I get a flash of synaptic brilliance....Unfortunately it never lasts and I invariably revert back to being a slightly overbearing moron again. [​IMG]
    BTW, I have nothing against higher end cable. I simply can't afford it and remain unconvinced that it will improve my current setup as is. I have too many other areas to tweak first.[​IMG]

12. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

haha, another inside joke about BobA, there seems to be an endless supply of those [​IMG]

13. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Naw, I was goofing on myself.

I wouldn't take that sort of (unprovoked) swing at anyone. Even BobA.

--Steve

14. John_VI

John_VI Second Unit

Great stuff, Steve.

I use 12ga from Parts Express. It's half the price of the Home Depot cable and is basically the same stuff. I have runs of about 35-40 feet for my rears (under floors, inside walls, etc), so I needed the bigger gauge cable there, too. And at less than $0.40 per foot shipped, it's a real bargin.