What type of walls are good for home theatre!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Adrian>G, Jun 22, 2005.

1. Adrian>G

Adrian>G Agent

I was wondering is soundproofing the room the way to go, I seen a friend of mine who has a soundproof house by o'hare airport chicago. His dad is an architect and said they used a special rubber padding in between the walls and also in there home theatre. I read here that quite walls foam or wood is the way to go. ANYONE use this or have opinions please post it.

thanks

Adrian

2. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Everyone DUCK! Here comes Wayne's room within a room post [​IMG] Just kidding Wayne.

You should just do a search. This is a well discussed subject in this area.

Here is a good site, even though its a retailer, with information and products.
    http://www.truesoundcontrol.com/prod...dproofing.html

I myself am going to use resilient channel (do a search you will find tons of discussions) on my ceiling. $3 per 12ft piece, R19 insulation and possibly 90lb tar paper. I even have this crazy idea of putting vinal flooring on my ceiling but I doubt I will try it.

You can also do staggered stud or double stud walls. There are also products like quiet rock that are supose to absorb and block sound but I don't know what they would do to sound quality.

And yes, you can even do the dreaded (but best solution) room within a room.

3. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
  4. Bryce_H

Bryce_H Stunt Coordinator

I used a variety of techniques. the front, left, and right wall of my HT are just 2X4 studs with insulation (they butt up against the concrete foundation). The back wall is a staggered stud with 2X8 foot and sill, and 2X4 studs. The whole theater was RISC-1 clips from pac international (a resilant channel system). Also double stuffed (mmmm....oreo's) insulation in the back wall and ceiling. Good luck.

5. Adrian>G

Adrian>G Agent

why do they call it a 'room within a room". its it just adding layers to each side or or floor.

6. BlakeN

BlakeN Stunt Coordinator

Adrian room within a room is exactly that the inner room floats on rubber and is in no way directly connected to the outer room.

This is a direct quote from Wayne A. Pflughaupt and the best discription of what is done. You can also search for his name to find more information on this technique.

7. Adrian>G

Adrian>G Agent

Wow I wonder how difficult that would be to do.