What's new

What type of speakers, for this room layout. (1 Viewer)

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
I'm looking at getting the Paradigm Speakers:
Original Plan
Front: Paradigm Monitor 9's
Center: Paradigm CC-370
Surrounds (side): Paradigm ADP-370 (reverberant surround)
Rears: ????

Modified Plan: (see posts below)
Fronts: Monitor 7s
Center: CC-370
Surrounds: ADP-370
Rears: Mini-Monitors

I'm not sure if I should get another pair of the ADP-370 for the rears, or the Mini-Monitors?
I think it would be easier to mount the minis at the back, firing forward, than to use the ADP's.
Mainly because the back wall is sooooo far back. About 15' from the listening position. Could I put the die-poles on the rear walls and just turn them up, would it still work OK?

To give you an idea, here's a pick of my room layout:
(TV at the top in blue, couches blue, speakers yellow, room stuff white)

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
Good question as I'm planning on buying the paradigms as well, but I'm leaning towards getting the Studio's though. Once I heard them i was sold.

I'm looking at getting the 20 or 40's for the front, Studio CC for the center and have no clue for the rear. Are the ADP worth the $$$$.

For the price of the 9, you might be able to get a Studio 60.

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Its a little program call IntelliCAD 2001. Works just like AutoCAD though, command names and such.

I have heard the 7's and the 9's. I have heard the Studio's though. Right now, I'm just doing the begining work, so I can audition the setup, and see if its what I really want.

If I move up to the references, I'm afraid the surrounds and such will get out of my budget.

Murdock

Zak Ruck

Stunt Coordinator
That is my dilema as well. Not a clue as to what surrounds to get the ADP's are very expensive. I'm looking at either the Studio 20's or Monitor 5's for mains. Might go up to Monitor 7 if I like them enough, but they are about the same price as the Studio 20's.

Haven't used that probram yet. I've been using acad for 10 years or so.

Good luck and let us know if you audition anything.

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I went back to the dealer last night. My roommate came along, we compared to his Definitive Technology BP8s. Its not a real good comparison, because its not the same location/receiver but we got an idea.

Listened to the Monitor 7's vs. the 9's. The bass/mid was better on the 9's, as I expected. However, the trade off in the upper ranges wasn't worth it. The vocals changed quite a bit between the two, and both my roommate and I didn't like it. With my current SVS 20-39 PC+ I just don't think I need those larger drives in the 9's. I'm hoping I can take the 7's home to try to get a good comparison.

I also listened to the CC-370. I was really impressed with this center, very clear, and it cut through the mess of noise their sub was making.
I also listened to the ADP-370 a bit, and spoke with the dealer about my room size/layout. He suggested Mini-monitors for the surround/rears for the 7.1 setup I'm looking at. I think I'll probably end up with a set of ADP-370's for the surrounds, and mini-monitors for the rears. Because of the distance from them to the seating position, it will be hard to localize them. Plus, they cost about half as much.

And finally, for kicks and grins we listened to the PW-2200. Watched U-571 and Titan AE in DTS. I'm really familiar with both these demo's at home, so it was a good test. When we got home, we listened to them on our system again. We both agreed that the bass from the PW-2200 was set to high for their demo room. In addition, it wasn't very clean at all. It really overlapped a lot of the other stuff going on. My SVS shook us more, and managed to sound cleaner, in a room about 5 times the size. (Their demo room is 10x9x12 or so, vs. my room at 25x27x10)

So, things have changed, current plan:
Fronts: Monitor 7s
Center: CC-370
Surrounds: ADP-370
Rears: Mini-Monitors

I'm still looking for input on the rears though, ADP vs. Mini that is.

Murdock

Justin H

Stunt Coordinator
I would go with the Mini's if I were you. Since you have the ability to place them so far behind the seating area and well apart you wouldn't (IMHO) even need to consider localization. I think that setup would sound fantastic.

GarySI

Stunt Coordinator
Judging by the front positioning, I would get the speakers out from the TV. You are wasting money on speakers with positioning like that. You should have at least 18" to the back wall. You may like the added bass but the midrange will suffer in the present location. You can always put them against the wall when not in use.
Why is it that no one here actually gave any feedback on the layout, which was your primary concern. I think alot of the members are more concerned with what brand/model of speakers they own and less with the placement. Most of the placements I have seen suck. Take a few hours and listen to the differences as you place the speakers in different locations. The Wilson Audio placement is a bit time consuming but it works.
I have my fronts(B&W 602S2) 24" from the rear wall. Thr right speaker is 3' from the side wall and the left is 8' from the side wall. I had no choice about the left due to the shape of the room. When company is over they go against the rear wall. Good WAF.

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Gary,
Thanks for the input. That layout is an approximation. The room is dimensioned properly, however, the block for the TV, and speaker locations are aproximate. In that "tv" block is actually my entertainment center (very low overall height) and my little 27" tv, with the components on either sides. The fronts are at that actual location. They may be a little far back though, and we'll see about pulling them forward some.

My primary concern right now is di-pole vs. direct.

Thanks.

Murdock

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks