What type of scenes are you favorites?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Howard Williams, Dec 2, 2001.

1. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

To me, the best scenes are between two (or sometimes more) people just talking to each other and observing the expression they make during the exchange. I think these types of scenes are why drama seems to be the prefered category for most critics. I prefer these to stunts, special effects, car chases, action, explosion, thrills, etc which most critics seem to value less. I like them too, but not as much.

I must admit a close second goes to large explosions and graphic violence. I love scenes like The Nostromo blowing up in "Alien", Cyberdine Lab in "Terminator 2", Nakatomi Towers in "Die Hard", and my newest favorite, 20 pounds of C4 and 20 pounds of stainless steel ball bearings in "Swordfish".

2. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Sex scenes! [​IMG] [​IMG] Especially two females!
    Sorry, just had to!
    Actually, ever since I've gotten into home theater world, any scene that has great use of DD and DTS, along with a lot of bass!

3. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

I would say scenes that use natural ambiance to sell the moment. Think of Unforgiven, in the end when William Munny is collecting the money with the kid. The way Eastwood used the sound of the wind blowing and the branches and the grasses swaying...it was terrific. No music, no score, no edited-in noise...just a natural, western sound that totally put you in the scene.
    Other than that, I do love watching two people talking as well...to watch as they play off each other, the way they react, the way they change. Think of Taxi Driver here, when Travis and Betsy are having lunch together. Just the simple, awkward gestures and the sincere speak. The way they miscommunicate as well, as when Travis tries to tell a joke about being "organizized". That's just one example from one film, but it is what really draws me in.
    Bruce

4. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Sex scenes, violent scenes, nude scenes, musical numbers, or any combinations of those four!

Sincerely,

John "Sick! Twisted! If you live to be 100, you'll never forget it!" Kilduff

5. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Oi loik seens loik when they rowmans thro the gladeater in the colossm and he has to foit othor glodiatrs and thers blood evywhere, when he chops them heads orf is greet mon, and than the emperoror Gallicula realises them tigers to eating him, wow its relly exiting stiff.[​IMG]
    Showgirls has many outstanding scenes I enjoy (snigger) and my biggest complaint is that more films should incorporate scenes of naked women lapdancing whenever possible, heh heh.[​IMG]
    I always love it when the chief bad guy doesn't kill the hero straight away and starts chatting to him and shows him around his not-so-secret lair, usually inside a volcano or a massive oil tanker with submarines innit.....[​IMG]

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I like scenes that involve martial arts and neat camera angles ie, The Matrix for instance.

I also like dog fights between lots of ships ie, Return Of The Jedi

7. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

You know, I do love dialogue scenes the most. I also have a curious affection for obvious speeches. Whether in coutrooms (A few Good Men or Malice most recently), in uninterrupted diatribes (especially in Kevin Smith films), or bizarrely scripted conversations in action movies (basically in most of the Bruckheimer films, such as Garland Greene in Con Air).

8. Howard Williams

Howard Williams Supporting Actor

Here's a couple of my favorite.

I loved Glen Gary Glen Ross (?) That move is full of scene with two people, just sitting down and talking, reacting to each other. I absolutly love that movie !!!

I also love the Marlon Brando speech he gives to Clark Kent in the fortress of solitude. I love the part when he says "In this...(he looks around) this....fortress of solitude...". I love that whole scene. I also loved the scene right before Johanthan Kent dies. He says something like. "I don't know why you're here. Maybe it's because"....then he just looks at Clark, open his mouths, says nothing, shakes his heads and waves his hand. Then he goes on to say "...but I know it's not to score touchdowns!) Man, that's beautiful !!!

Pick almost any scene from Pulp Fiction. Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames at the bar. Sam Jackson & Travolta before they "get in character". Travolta & Thurman at the diner

Travolta's first 5 minutes of Swordfish. etc .etc.

Gladiator, when Marcus Arilleus(sp) tells Comadus(sp?) he will not rule. Joaquin Phoenix goes from joyful, (full of anticipation, seeing the entire world about to become his) to puzzled, then confused, then shocked, then disbelief, then disapointment, then sadness, then riducle, then shame then anger, then hate. Almost the full range of emotions, beautifully expressed on face. Art.

9. NathanP

NathanP Supporting Actor

Close quarters combat...
    Big space battles!
    But no martial arts stuff .. (Big Matrix hater)[​IMG]