What's new

What type of Satellite system(s) do you have? (1 Viewer)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
O.K. To show you what the new polling feature of our software is capable of, I've designed a simple (I think) poll that allows you to try it out and see what it does.

I'm looking to see the "satellite status" of the membership. In other words, do you have a satellite dish system and, if so, which one(s).

Note that the poll allows you to choose more than one answer if you have more than one type of system.

And, of course, if you have anything to add that the poll doesn't cover adequately for your situation, you may post a comment in the thread below the actual poll.

Enjoy!

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Of course, this might all be a moot point come this summer (or whenever) if and when the merger goes through as Charlie is promising. In fact that might be a good question to poll the membership on (the merger.)

Whatever. In any event I'm realistic enough to understand that our small sample may not reflect the true installed base of both systems, where DirecTV has a sizeable lead. I just want to get a sense of what people here have. Remember, some of you have more than one system and you can choose multiple choices in this poll.

At least this example shows what the poll function is capable of.

Take care.

Jeff Loughridge

Stunt Coordinator
Check this link for the current status...
Diverse Group Opposes EchoStar-DirecTV Deal
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/01/30/bu...ia/30BIRD.html
My favorite quotes:
"The day the deal was announced, Scott C. Cleland, chief executive of the Precursor Group, an independent research firm in Washington, estimated that there was about a one in three chance that the merger would go through.
"Now, I think that there is less than a one-in-three chance," Mr. Cleland said yesterday. "This is not a close call. It's over the line of almost any traditional antitrust analysis.""
and
"Last month, Mr. Cannon joined 15 other members of Congress, many of them from the bipartisan House Western Caucus, in signing a letter to Attorney General John Ashcroft and the F.C.C. chairman, Michael Powell, expressing their "grave concerns" about the deal. Mr. Cannon's own office issued a news release that was less measured, saying, "This merger as proposed is unthinkable and it should not take the Justice Department and the F.C.C. much time to deny it.""

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was a DirecTV subscriber from '95 ($700 for a single receiver setup!) until '00. I switched to Dish to take advantage of the introductory price of the HD6000. I never got around to gettting an HDTV and the Dishplayer was buggy. Two months ago I switched back to DirecTV to take advantage to the discounts on the DirecTivo. (New address and my wifes name makes me a "new" subscriber)

-Robert

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,
It would be great if this area were to become (more?) useful. Best of luck in spicing it up!
I have been a DirecTV subscriber for about 4 yrs now, I believe. I've been pretty happy with the service. I've had the elliptical dish and Sony HD receiver for about 3 months now. Sure, I wish there were more HD stuff on, but I'm pleased with it.
I can't get locals where I am, though I am considering a move to an area where I could. So I can't comment about that part of the service. I also haven't tried the Direct Tivo, for the same reason.
This may be more info than you wanted!:)
Tony

Mike I

Supporting Actor
I have been a dish network subsciber for 2 years because they took the early lead in providing HD content..I am alm now looking seriously at direct tv in additon to dish network to get their HD net channel...

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

Like the new polling system.

I have been a Dish subscriber now for 3 years and I am happy with the service. I think the main reason people get DirectTV is just because it is marketed more and they have the sports packages. Movie channel wise I think last I compared Dish was better. I bought a DirectTV system because I was thing of just subscribing for the Hockey plan but haven't hooked it up.

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

This doesnt pertain to DBS but rather to the polling system. Is there a way for it to count as a post? Just wondering.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
I'm surprised to see that in over 24 hours there've only been 60 votes. Surely there's more DBS subscribers than that!

JoeyB

Agent
I used to own an RCA DirecTV system. When I moved last year, I switched to DishNetwork. I wasn't unhappy with DirecTV; the DishNetwork programming packages seemed better and cheaper.

I have been fairly happy with the switch. I initially thought the picture was better with DishNetwork - less compression artifact/pixelation, however, now after watching more, I'm not sure there is much of a difference. We do seem to have fewer weather black-outs, but this is a hard thing to directly compare. I do notice more glictches with DishNetwork (receiver model 4922) - such as intermittent audio dropouts, A/V sync problems. In addition, DirecTV does seem to have a better assortment of PPV movies.

Overall, I would have to say it's a wash.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I actually have Bell ExpressVu, which is the canadian version of DishNetwork...
Pushing it one up over DirecTV.. :)

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I signed on with DISH because, at the time, Dish had the lead in HDTV (with both HBO and Showtime. I don't deal with the PPV HDTV channel. Too many DVD's to watch)
:laugh:
But then Mark Cuban entered the picture and HDNet has, in my opinion, made DirecTV more interesting to me. However, I'm still hoping that saner heads will prevail and that Charlie will get his merger. Remember, it's really a case of Satellite versus Cable not satellite versus satellite. Heck, even with the merger you are talking about less than 20% of the potential customer base.
But, of course, Cable has a lot of friends in high places and a big stake in this. After all, one advantage of a dish - any dish- is the worldwide distribution potential and the relative ease of upgrading when compared to installing millions of miles of new cable every time a new technology comes along.
So, I either want the merger to go through (I still prefer the HDTV picture on Dish rather than DirecTV - at least the ones I've seen on a BIG screen) or, if that doesn't happen - at least seeing HDNet expanding to DISH as well.
Time will tell.
And to answer another question - I don't think answering a poll counts in your message total - unless, of course, you also post a reply. (I may be wrong). Besides, I'm not a big fan of the "posting" race. That's why we have "After Hours"
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Take care.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've been a DirecTV subscriber since 1995, I still have two of the 1st generation RCA receivers which cost many hundreds of dollars back then. I also have a "DirecTiVo" and it is amazing.

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
Chronic cable problems drove me to DTV in May of 2000 and I have been very happy with it. In October of 01 I took advantage of the CC $99 DirecTiVo sale and really love it. I am one who hopes the merger does not go through. I really like the wide choice of equipment that DTV offers and would never willingly give up my DTiVo -- especially for a DishPlayer!

Deborah

Matt Heebner

Stunt Coordinator
I have had DirecTv for about 4 years now. I got really tired of Time Warner...the rate increases, crappy picture, and way overpriced packages. I have just upgraded to the oval dish and a RCA DTC-100 for HD programming. Looking into Tivo for the bedroom.

I am seriously looking forward to more HD programming from DirecTv.

Matt

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
I have Bell ExpressVu. And it would have been interesting to see ExpressVu and Star Choice as choices in the poll. I'm curious to know how many Americans will be attempting to get one of the Canadian services just so they can watch the CBC's Olympic coverage this month.
I wonder how many hours of Olympic coverage they'll broadcast each day this time around? 16? 20? 24? :D

Jeremiah W

Stunt Coordinator
I originaly had Primestar and when they switched over to Directv of course I got the service and I love it, I had cable 5 years ago,never again

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
I have Direct tv. Have had it for 4 years. Innitially made the decision based on center ice package because there is no real hockey to watch here in tulsa (being from Chicago). I have optical out (which I am pleased with). Have friends with both systems and aside from sports packages, I feel they are pretty much the same. I to do not receive my local channels, which reallly stinks cause fox comes in as mono. Oh well, it beats the he!! out of cable!

John Wiles

Auditioning
Hi Robert:
Have you yet made your views known on HDTV vs DVD via the Sony VW10? http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...lies/smile.gif
I have been fighting with Dish for more than 2 years about the lip synch problems on many channels including their own HDTV3 Demo channel. It made the recent showing of the Newport Jazz Festival on HDTV3 a washout because the excellent sound did not synch up with the excellent picture on my 92" screen. I think they finally got the message and may be doing something about it. I do not know yet whether this is a just a Dish 6000 problem or is associate with their uplink facility. I do see the same problems on the SD channels with my older DISH 2700 receiver and a 27" TV.
Anyone know where the TECH CHAT schedule can be found? I would like to see DISH put up a 2-3 hour set of test patterns (16:9 color bars and gray scale ala Avia) on their HDTV DEMO channel and one of the SD channels once a month like HBO does. This would also include an A/V sync test such as a "Clack Board".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks