What type of picture would I receive on a HDtv

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brad Newton, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

or hd ready tv if I was only receiving analog ota signals. I am thinking about upgrading my tv to one of these sets, but am unsure of what type of picture quality I would have from my ota antenna & dish network. Would it be as good/clear as my old analog set? The local channels are supposed to begin digital/hd broadcasting in April/May.

2. Judy Y

Judy Y Stunt Coordinator

My dishnetwork pictures look pretty bad, IMO, on my HDTV. However, even the OTA programming on the digital channels when NOT broadcast in HDTV can look pretty darn good. If you are moving up in screen size, just remember, you will not only magnify the picture but also the defects. Problems you couldn't see before are now very evident.

Another thing to consider is DVD. With a relatively inexpensive progressive scan dvd player paired with an HDTV set you can get an incredibly good picture on DVD's. It isn't HDTV, but it's better than Dishnet or OTA broadcasts.

3. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

Why would your dishnetwork pitures look bad? Shouldn't they improve also, since they are digital signals?

4. Dan Coughlin

Dan Coughlin Extra

What usually happens with standard TV signals is that HDTV set show ALL the flaws of the source. Another problem is that most sets will up-convert the signal to a minimum of 480p if not 1080i so the TV's (or STB's) ability to upconvert comes in to play as motion artifacts usually result.

One other factor is if you buy a 16:9 set and zoom the picture to maintain aspect ratio and yet fill the screen it's even worse. I have a Toshiba TW56X81 and a DirecTV signal stretched to fill the set looks noticably less grainy than a zoomed picture. I simply can't get used to watching things stretched like that so I deal with it. My brother has a 4:3 32" WEGA XBR400 and his satellite picture is very good.

Had the Olympics on HDNet last night, switched to the hockey game on ESPN2 and had to turn it off. It was painfully blurry & grainy. And that was DirecTV through my DST-3000 set-top box upconverted to 1080i. To me all the compromise is worth it because I bought the set for DVD (for which it is SPECTACULAR) and HDTV (even more spectacular).

Dan

5. Scott_Sylke

Scott_Sylke Stunt Coordinator

The reason for poor pictures from DishNetwork or DirecTv is because there is only so much bandwidth. With some many channels now and the higher resolutions...there simply isn't enough bandwidth to have all channels HDTV quality. They have to compress the signals......therefore.....a worse picture.