What's new

What type of pads came on my 05' Ford Focus ZX5, semi-metallic or ceramic? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
It's almost time to replace my front brake pads (50k). I'd like to use the same type of pad as I like the way these OEM pads have worn(quiet). I've read that ceramic pads are "dustless" but chew through the rotors faster. Any feedback?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I think most cars (outside the exotics/sports cars) do not come with ceramic pads, but basic semi-metallics. The ceramics are perhaps better at heat distribution so they are used in either racing applications when they are braking a lot or for heavy duty use (towing RV's, big boats, etc. etc.) I do believe that they might be less dirty but you can probably find aftermarket non-ceramic pads that are cleaner than stock. The OEM pads on my old BMW were dirty as hell but I replaced them after they worn out with aftermarket ones (forget the brand, I think they were MetalMasters or something like that) and they were great.

Jay

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter

Ceramic brake pads are only found on extremely expensive cars, mostly due to the very high cost of the pad itself. I've heard just the front pads itself for a Porsche 911 costs several hundred US dollars. :eek:

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks for the feedback guys.

DURALAST
Semi-metallic MKD1044 LLT $24.99

MORSE-CERAMIC 1044C 2 YR $45.99

DURALAST_GOLD
Ceramic pad DG1044 LLT $38.99

Here's the choices that come up online for my vehicle at a local AutoZone. Ceramic pads aren't really that expensive for my car. Don't know how well my rotors would hold up to ceramic pads. Problably just stick with semi-metallic.

p.s. most of my miles are highway miles in little to no traffic.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Ceramic pads aren't that expensive... Some of the exotic porsches come with 4 piston brakes and are Brembo which is a big name in brakes.. kind of like Bose, except that Brembos are at least excellent brakes.

I can get ceramic pads for my Subaru for cheaper than buying OEM pads from the dealership by $20. Another thing with Ceramics though is that they actually do not perform as well cold than warm and although most of them say "quick to warm up" I don't see them that useful for most basic transportation issues. Racing and or heavy-duty use excluded but racing on the streets is obviously frowned upon and I don't think a ZX5 is that popular of a towing platform so I can probably assume that John Pine is not looking to tow his 50ft bayliner. :)

Personally, I would still with a good aftermarket semi-metallic pad. Make sure you replace both pads and also check the rotors for wear too. Many places recommend replacing the rotors with the pads...

Jay

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Jay: These rotors have never been turned so I'll likely get them machined this time.

Guys is there a certain after-market brand that's better than the others, or just go with a DURALAST semi-metallic set?

p.s. My car couldn't even pull the TRAILER for a 50' Bayliner, let alone the boat. ;)

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
I have a '99 Durango which is a very heavy vehicle. I've done the front pads rotors twice. The second time I got slotted rotors and EBC ceramic pads formulated for heavy vehicles/towing. The braking is significantly better (way better than the anemic OEM) but they don't brake well when cold. I told my wife this so she can warm them up when first getting in the car.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
What's an "Organic" pad?

MOTORCRAFT Part # BR1044B
Organic; Integrally Molded; Front $69.79

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Organic materials were originally used on many older vehicles. Brakes made of these are softer than others, tend to wear out faster, and do not offer comparable performance. I think they're the dustiest as well.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks Mark, good info!

Part No.
D1044IQ Bendix Disc Pad; Front Import Quiet Brake Pad
Brake Pad; Import Quiet; Front
Warranty: Lifetime Replacement Warranty

Ships in 1 day
$51.48

A buddy at work recommended Bendix pads so I was considering these but I think they're Organic also. I called two different Advance stores that sell them and they couldn't confirm they are semi-metallic. I even checked manufacturers' website with no luck.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I have a nice little article that was sent to me from Bendix regarding Pedal Pulsation if you're interested. It gave some useful information regarding the installation of brakes if you're doing it yourself and want to maximize their performance and lifetime.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
It's something Bendix sent me (small PDF) when I was talking to them about cryo treated rotors. PM me your email address and I'll pass it along.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks