What's new

What type of optical cable for connecting my DVD to Receiver? (1 Viewer)

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
What type of optical/digital cable for connecting my DVD to Receiver? I thought one should be provided with the RECEIVER but apperantely it did work that way. I have never use the optical connection on the home audio and they seem rather pricey when I did a search in yahoo shoppping. So, would anyone recommend me a good affordable optical cable? Thank you.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've never seen any equipment include an optical cable, and if they did, it probably wouldn't be a very good one just like the crappy analog video and audio cables that are included.

I picked up a couple of AR ProII 6' optical cables from www.ac4l.com for $16.99 each and they are actually very nice quality for that price. On the right side in the specials section, select Audio Cable Closeouts.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
I've bought 6ft. opticals at Radio Shack and Walmart for around $14.99. Both work fine. You do not need to get the expensive ones that are around a 300-400% markup for the store.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I tried the Wal Mart/Target Rat shack cables and returned them promptly. I didn't like the fit and finish as far as the quality goes(the connector is crappy). I ended up spending $20 for a Monster THX. The connector was better(more solid). None of these 3 sounded as good as the Tara Labs I bought which still wasn't expensive at $35. Then again I don't use the optical from Monster for a crucial piece of equipment either. It was for the xbox I have and satellite dish. For my dvd player, I ended up using the Tara.

I can vouch for AC4l though. They are a solid company. Great service.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
If glass is your thing, then head on over to MCM and get your bragging rights without spending a fortune.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer

Shane..I know you like to mention this a lot...and a few years ago, I'd probably say yeah, odds are the connections etc weren't the "best" and a bit more generic, but 2005 has brought about some changes for the better as far as what Wally World etc carries for a very decent price IMHO.

For $20 you can get THIS optical cable from Wally World...

The connectors on it look pretty darn good to me:

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but you'll find the soundstage isn't quite the same. Further the music will lack the proper rhythm, pace, and timing and there just won't be the same degree of darkness and a 3 dimensional aspect that seems to embrace the listener with a delicate tenderness.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Maybe if I freeze it first, it will take on those characteristics??

:D

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
The secret to using any optical cable is making sure you place a box of sand behind the rack and let the cable loop fall into the sand.
The type of sand is very important as well. I prefer the pink sand of Monaco over anything else I have found. It adds a warming tone that expands the soundstage but more than anything it provides the actual scent of the movie. Since I started using this tweak I can't stop watching Willy Wonka. It smells great, except for the scenes with a lot of Oompa loompa's, they seem to all have very offensive foot odor.

I have also heard that sand gathered at the base of a glacier adds exquisite dimensions to the sound.:D :D :D

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
It does looks very nice from the pictures. Man, I am a sucker for appearance. But I'm cheap,so anything out of what I believe its worth. I won't even bother.

Tim_

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, now I'm totally confused. Sand & glacier? Was that a joke or something I should be research on???

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Tim, some of us were just having some fun. I wouldn't put too much stock into the sound differences that people say they hear. So long as it makes a good connection, you're good to go.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
Tim

I apologize for if I added confusion to all of this. there are those among us, particularly on the audiophile side that make some pretty crazy tweaks. Some of them do seriously run some of their cables through sand filled boxes. Some people swear that freezing a cable makes it sound better. There is even a company that freezes your cables for you.

For most of us a relatively inexpensive cable is all you need. I prefer Bluejeans and have replaced all of my cables with them except the opticals, which they don't make.

My personal opinion on optical cables is that unless the quality is very, very poor they will all sound the same. I do make sure the ends make a solid connection so they don't get pulled out easily if I am working behind the rack.

There are those that will claim big differences and it is highly subjective so you have to make the determination yourself but I am fairly confident that you will be happy with an inexpensive cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks